• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Does Harley Ship to Canada?

22 posts in this topic

Since Harley ain't answering me emails, I'll ask here:

How does he ship to Canada? I see the $13 Insured S&H, but is that US Post, or does he use the dreaded 893whatthe.gif (and costly to accept) UPS or Fedex parcel service?

I usually insist that Harley NOT use UPS with their rip-off $28.00+ brokerage fee just to cross the border into Canada. Huge scam that USPS does not participate in. makepoint.gif

So is his default S&H method to use those mafia rip-off artists, UPS? If so, that may be why he never replied to me. grin.gif

I usually insist that Harley NOT use UPS with their rip-off $28.00+ brokerage fee just to cross the border into Canada. Huge scam that USPS does not participate in. makepoint.gif

What goods does UPS charge this brokerage fee on? I have shipped dozens of packages to Canada using UPS Standard Ground and never had any customers mention this...

What goods does UPS charge this brokerage fee on? I have shipped dozens of packages to Canada using UPS Standard Ground and never had any customers mention this...

Then they must be rich, not have your email, or use their own brokerage house. At over $20 USD (I believe) everything through UPS is given a customs and brokerage fee. That's how UPS can create a illusionarily low price to US customers, as they make it up on the back-end.

"Sure we'll send that huge box to Canada for $10 flat rate". Yeah, and then the customer get a $35 bill from UPS. 893whatthe.gif

If your customers have never been charged, then it's a miracle. 100% of my UPS packages have had the customs fee, though I don't get many, as only the blind could miss my US POST ONLY, NO UPS OR FEDEX!!! notices.

As long as you have the sender specify the declared value as $20 USD (regardless of "real value"), then you won't get hit with brokerage fees, regardless of who the carrier is. As soon as you opt for either insurance, or the declared value is over the duty free limit ($30 CAD), then you will get an invoice from the broker (Peace Bridge Brokerage), or the carrier themselves will request the fee at the door, once the parcel is delivered. Not all senders approve of this method, and its a good idea to lay out the conditions before the discussing the sale. Its also worth noting that you should be perfectly comfortable with the senders packaging if opting to not insure the item.

My experience with USPS Priority Post has been most favourable. I have also used Fedex, and UPS. I refuse to use Purolator because I ALWAYS end up going to their depot to pick up all my parcels. I have not had one parcel delivered to my door by Purolator. 893frustrated.gif

Then they must be rich, not have your email, or use their own brokerage house. At over $20 USD (I believe) everything through UPS is given a customs and brokerage fee. That's how UPS can create a illusionarily low price to US customers, as they make it up on the back-end.

"Sure we'll send that huge box to Canada for $10 flat rate". Yeah, and then the customer get a $35 bill from UPS. 893whatthe.gif

If your customers have never been charged, then it's a miracle. 100% of my UPS packages have had the customs fee, though I don't get many, as only the blind could miss my US POST ONLY, NO UPS OR FEDEX!!! notices.

Alright... I just pulled this information from the UPS website... link

Entry Preparation Charges

UPS offers free routine customs clearance of UPS Express Plus, UPS Express and UPS Expedited. Our published rates are among the lowest in the business, with savings of up to 30% - and often more. Use the chart below to calculate the customs brokerage fee for your inbound shipments.

Value for Duty

UPS Standard Service

& All Other Couriers/

Transportation Companies

$       0.00   to   $     20.00

$ -

$     20.01   to   $     40.00

$   6.50

$     40.01   to   $   100.00

$ 17.90

$   100.01   to   $   200.00

$ 26.50

$   200.01   to   $   350.00

$ 34.25

$   350.01   to   $   500.00

$ 38.40

$   500.01   to   $   750.00

$ 43.60

$   750.01   to   $1,000.00

$ 48.80

$1,000.01   to   $1,250.00

$ 54.00

$1,250.01   to   $1,600.00

$ 57.30

$1,600.01   to   $5,000.00

$ 64.40

Each Additional $ 1,000.00

$  4.65

Note: All rates are in Canadian funds. Rates do not include applicable taxes.

So on smaller more valuable shipments, using UPS Express or Expedited seems a reasonable method, since they don't charge the brokerage fees you are talking about...

On heavier packages, I guess it's a matter of how long you want to wait. A 27lb box is $14.10 cheaper (and four days faster) to ship via UPS than Airmail Parcel. It's virtually the same price (and five weeks faster) to ship via UPS than Surface Parcel. Your shipper could list a value of $100CDN and even with the crazy brokerage charges it's still a better deal.

Most of the packages I have sent using UPS Standard to Canada have had smaller values. Expensive stuff I always used Expedited... I may have to get creative with my price gun when it comes time to ship you your Mylars... "Geez, they're only plastic bags. It's not like plastic bags are worth anything..." tongue.gif

I got nailed by UPS for an extra $22.00 US on a low grade copy of UXM #3 that cost me $18.00 at the time (~3 years ago).

I'll only bid on something if they agree to send it USPS.

>Since Harley ain't answering me emails, ...

If you're speaking of Harley Yee, i think he's actually preparing his trip to UK. I will meet him at the London Comicon this week-end...

Last time I checked a person could send and receive e-mail from anywhere in the world via the World Wide Web. confused-smiley-013.gifstooges.gif

I bought a book from Harley a while back, and he charged me $13 to ship one CGC book. I emailed him and asked " Can you tell me why shipping to Canada is $13? "

His reply: " Because that's what it says in the item description ". I really wanted the book, so I refrained from sending the Email I had prepared.....and sent the money.

It turns out......that's how much it cost him. confused-smiley-013.gif

I can't remeber who the carrier was..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If u are not at home when UPS knocks on your door, u may need to drive all the way out to the airport during business hours to reach the UPS brokerage depot to pay the $28 brokerage fees plus up to 14.5% importation taxes on the declared value of the box. It is torture driving back from the airport to home in the middle of rush hour. 893frustrated.gif