• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What stuff have you bought that you wish you never had ?

79 posts in this topic

Upper Deck football & basketball cards circa 1991/92. I must have gotten the collecting bug back after stopping comics some 6 years earlier. Thankfully, it didn't last, nor did it fill anywhere near the fondness hole in my heart from comics. Sadly, they're also not worth anything where I could trade them in for comic books. (Shaq rookie card anyone? lol )

2 of every item from about 1988-1995 and then just one of everything after that. I've culled alot of that mess down, but it still is filling up my shed outside.

I'm pretty happy with most of my purchased but I still have tons of stuff that I'm going to get rid of eventually.

Even modern stuff I've been ok with the titles I've bought because I've been fairly selective.

I hate that I have a full run of 52 though. I tried to give DC a chance (having not really ever read anything DC) and this was definitely not the title to do it with. I still don't understand what happened!

Anyone want to buy a full run of 52 for $30? lol

I'm with Nik on this one. Nothing.

I bought lot of books in the mid 80's just for the sake of buying them. Pretty much mainstream stuff (X-men, FF, Avengers, Hulk, Iron Man). I just never really enjoyed reading them. I stopped collecting in about 90 or 91 for 10 years.

The reason I don't regret it is because I gave all of the books I did not enjoy to my nephew who was about 5 years old. Probably about 300 comics. He has been reading and collecting comics ever since. Plus he gave all those books back to me about 7 years ago which brought me back into the hobby as well.

Now my almost 6 year old son has about 300 mid 80's comics plus whatever comics I buy now that end up not interesting me. Any book that I upgrade that has little or no resale value also goes in his box.

So for $150 maybe $200 box of comics created 1 reader, brought one back and may very well create one more. Not bad for a bunch of "drek". lol

Far too much modern stuff. When I first got back in, the friend who got me buying comics was "advising" me on what to buy. Should never, ever, ever have listend to him. I finally realized that I was buying books and not reading them, so I switched to the ones I really wanted, gold and silver age. Those I never regretted buying, but I do regret selling them. Not that I didn't need to at the time, but dang, I wish I had them now.

- Joanna

I am a Simon Bisley fan, and was introduced to him through Lobo. I pre-ordered the Lobo slipcase special, which contained some post cards and 3 graphic novels. Two were reprints, but the 3rd was an all new book, "The Wisdon of Lobo". I opened it up and it was all blank pages. Not a mis-print, but a cruel joke at the expense of the consumer.

anything i bought for cover or around cover in the early/mid 90s.

luckily, it wasn't that much stuff. if i actually paid retail for a total of one short box of comics I'd be surprised.

well, i didn't mind paying cover for Valiant's Magnus 1 & 2, but that was after the fact in 1999, when my LCS put a stack of each of them out on the new comics rack as a goof. They sat there for a while.

Let's see...where should I begin...

Thousands upon thousands of late 90's early 00's Baseball cards. doh!

Starting Line-Up figures (from same period). :insane:

Episode I Star Wars figures. :boo:

Massive amounts of Mark McGwire memorabilia (after all, no one is going to beat 70 homers for a long time). :tonofbricks:

Massive amounts of Ken Griffey, Jr. memorabilia ( because we all know he was going to break Hammering Hank's all-time HR record). :juggle:

Overgraded raw eBay comic drek. :makepoint:

A few overzealous CGC purchases that in hindsight weren't the best finacial decisions. :P

I was reading through this thread, mentally jotting down my regrettable purchases. But then your post did it for me. I have every regrettable thing on this list (along with the same regrettable logic).

And to add to it:

POTF Star Wars Figures

88-92 Sports Cards

I had some luck unloading some of it at a yard sale. Actually got my money back on most of the sports cards. Maybe (as suggested in another thread) I should give the rest to my wayward mail carrier.

Makes me wonder what I am buying today that I will regret in 2020.