• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective 27 comming up at Heritage.

119 posts in this topic

Showing how totally bored I am today, I scanned in the page with the Tec #27 info for everyone to see.

tec27ad.jpg

Ironic 'eh??

The VG $100,000+ Tec 27 was an ugly duckling to someone, so it was turned into a $62,500 apparent VF swan hm hm hm

Thanks for posting the image, Sean. Sorry you were bored

Trimming kills it - pretty sad really

well good! You needed to curtail your spending a little anyway to assure that you can buy that killer Tec 35 in the C-Link January auction.......you know, so you can complete your pre-Robin Tec run :devil:

ughhhh, ughhhh I mean (thumbs u

Steve

if VF and a trimmed moderate is should be around $50k.

Trimming kills it - pretty sad really

I agree, the trimming kills any desirability to me...I like restored, but hate trimmed...I find it hard to believe that matt trimmed the pages, other than to "clean" up what the previous owner might have done? will investigate

rick

I agree. Trimming is a big no no for me too.. But if it's a major key like a Tec 27, it probably doesn't bother me a whole lot because the price is much lower than if it was not trimmed (for me at least). I wondered why the original owner had it restored to a VF? That really wasn't a smart move at all. Im also wondering if Matt told the owner that restoration was not needed for the book so it could maintain its value.

hello all

I inquired to matt about the book...when matt got it, it was already restored and trimmed...matt just undid the "bad" resto and re-restored it professionally....so, it was never in unrestored vg condition, prior to him receiving it

gator

hello all

I inquired to matt about the book...when matt got it, it was already restored and trimmed...matt just undid the "bad" resto and re-restored it professionally....so, it was never in unrestored vg condition, prior to him receiving it

gator

Yep, that definitely makes ALOT of sense.. I knew Matt wouldn't just restore the book just to restore it to make it look better if it is not really needed. Thanks for asking him

Would a knowledgeable collector pay 62,500 for that book? What type of person would be a likely buyer for a book like that?

with trimmed pages, I am thinking sub 40K range....without trimmed, then it is much more realistic asking price

rick

What type of person would be a likely buyer for a book like that?

hmI think I may have found him..... :hi:

That poor fellow.....Extensive resoration is bad news. This shows why not to buy these type of (extensive or trimmed) restored books. If you need to complete a run and it's a fraction, I stress "fraction" of the unrestored price and you don't care about resale value, then by all means.

Why do you really think that They would put a key comicbook in an auction that has historical memoribilia instead of in there comicbook auction where all the knowledgible comic buyers[and bigger dollars presumibly are for this item.

I think the answer is clear based on the condition and asking price.

Surprisingly they don't have any of the items from the catalog listed on the website, it's just a special offering set sale catalog.

The Tec #27 is noted in the catalog by Matt as being in VG prior to his work - which kind of blows my mind. I'm hoping he's meaning VG with some amateur restoration (including the trimming), as a solid VG would already be a 65K+ book, no need to restore it to bring the price to that level.

I rather like some of the pre-Columbian art in the catalog, but it's definitely got an eclectic mix from all the categories Heritage deals with from jewelry to stamps to civil war to baseball.

just to clarify, a solid VG with no work is a $100K++ book, easy....I know of a cgc 3.0 blue that is changing hands in the $90K range

so, it had to of already been trimmed? (shrug)

gator

I know of a recently sold CGC 5.5 pedigree unrestored copy that sold for $115k. I held it and read it before it was graded. Had tape on the spine that was removed years ago, but it had nice gloss and was a very solid book.