• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A letter FROM Marvel!!!

14 posts in this topic

Well here is the response that I got back from Marvel.

"Sorry to hear your encounters with Joe (Q) haven't been so good. I think the

concern he was voicing about continuity was that the books were becoming

intelligible ONLY to fans who had been reading since the beginning -- or

only enjoyable to old fans. Taking into account Stan's maxim that every

comic might be somebody's first, I think Joe saw his task as to make the

books inviting again to new readers so that the fanbase could start

replenishing itself.

I got a chance to read your -script, and while your insight into the

characters is good and interesting, the -script is primarily characters

talking about and reflecting on things that have happened in their past.

There is no action or "forward momentum" to the story that would allow the

characters' personalities to be revealed through what they DO, rather than

what they SAY. A new reader would not find anything to engage their interest

or sympathy for the characters here, because you are not writing characters

doing things and being themselves, but only characters TALKING about

themselves.

For someone who is familiar inside and out with a character, this can be a

difficult lesson to learn. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but the best

way for you to hone your craft as a comics writer might be to start out

writing characters you DON'T care as much about; that way, you will be able

to make more objective judgements about your storytelling."

Now the question that I have; why would I write characters that I don't like??? And is it not the job of the writer to KNOW what he/she is writing about? And the part about the stories being "too intelligible", that's like saying that the readers are too dumb to know what's going on. Has anyone read the current issue of Daredevil? Talk about no "forward momentum"!!!

I think they care more about who is writing the book rather than who is IN the book! Books should be character driven, not writer driven. Yes, it's good to have a great writer on a project, BUT NOT ALL OF A GREAT WRITER'S WORKS WILL BE GREAT!!! confused-smiley-013.gif

So you are trying to get a job as a comics writer? Cool.

"BUT NOT ALL OF A GREAT WRITER'S WORKS WILL BE GREAT!!! " Agreed - but comic sales nowadays are driven partly the writer's name recognition, so do they "care more about who is writing the book rather than who is IN the book?", to use your words? Pretty much. Once a writer has an established audience I think they will cut him a lot of slack as long as the books sell.

It sucks that you received some negative feedback, but try not to take it personal. I think that this comment:

"For someone who is familiar inside and out with a character, this can be a

difficult lesson to learn. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but the best

way for you to hone your craft as a comics writer might be to start out

writing characters you DON'T care as much about; that way, you will be able

to make more objective judgements about your storytelling."

is GREAT feedback. I think he's absolutely right. Look at it this way. If you can get me, as your audience, interested in a story about a no-name character, you can get me interested in a story about any character. I really think that that was golden advice.

My .02

Dan

I think the

replenishing itself.

This is EXACTLY the reason I don't buy NEW books.....

To me, CONTINUITY is EVERYTHING.

Instead of RUINING a character's HISTORY ......Marvel should try INVENTING NEW CHARACTERS .

Sounds like pretty solid feedback to me. At least they didn't brush you off, and I get the impression that the person who responded to you took the time to read your work and was pretty fair and positive.

Not having read your submission I can't say whether or not they are correct.

Kev

Instead of RUINING a character's HISTORY ......Marvel should try INVENTING NEW CHARACTERS .

But that would mean (gasp) thinking and actually doing some real work. makepoint.gif

It'll never fly, as rattling out another retcon hack-job like Origin or Born is sooo much easier for the pinheads at Marvel.

Has anyone read the current issue of Daredevil? Talk about no "forward momentum"!!! I think they care more about who is writing the book rather than who is IN the book! Books should be character driven, not writer driven. Yes, it's good to have a great writer on a project, BUT NOT ALL OF A GREAT WRITER'S WORKS WILL BE GREAT!!!

But in order to be able to product crapola, a writer must have demonstrated he or she can product quality work first. Kinda like the Wach. Brothers kicking tail with Matrix and then being allowed to film garbage like Matrix Reloaded.

Now as for the feedback, it seems as if you need some schoolin' on how a visual medium works, and how actual stories are structured. Nab some reference books at the library or bookstore and you'll be amazed at what you can pick up.

I think the

replenishing itself.

This is EXACTLY the reason I don't buy NEW books.....

To me, CONTINUITY is EVERYTHING.

Couldn't agree more! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I totally disagree. Marvel has invented over 5000 characters in 40 years. That's not enough?? If they finished retrofitting ALL of them at the rate they are now (which irritates so many readers as far too much) it would take them 40 more years.

There are no 'good' characters...just good storytelling..and in comics, good artwork. We've all seen the lamest characters become exciting literally overnight! How? with good writing thats engaging to the reader.

I also think Brian was given good advice by whomever at Marvel wrote him the letter. And Brian? Now you must take the next step if you want 'in' ... write another story as he suggests and fairly quickly, while th eiron i shot. If you sulk and get all negative and never follow up??? youve given up an dyour dream dies now.

go for it. Youve got their attention. And be really grateful and respectful. Chances are the guy who wrote that letter kissed a lot of arse to get to his lousy position fielding letters from aspiring guys like you. He probably is pretty far down the totem pole himself. He could use a little looking up to, too!!

Marvel has invented over 5000 characters in 40 years

And now they're turning their back on 40 years of story telling.

Why does Marvel have to newbie-ize their characters?

I'm a HUGE Spidey fan......but I didn't start reading at # 1 confused-smiley-013.gif

I totally disagree. Marvel has invented over 5000 characters in 40 years. That's not enough??

Pop Quiz Hotshot: How many headline Marvel characters (have their own mag/title) were created in the last 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?

Now how many current Marvel comics have headline characters that were created in the Silver and Bronze Age?

The answers to those two questions should illustrate what's wrong with the equation.

How are they turning their back on the past? Both storylines are continuing at this time.

AND...If you still insist they are, I guess the precedent would be Superman's relaunch. Imean what was more jarring than Ma and Pa Kent being alive again? I like to think of it this way: when these cheap newspring funny book characters were created, they were expected to last a month a year, whatever. But NOONE in their right minds expected them to be valuable properties in 60 years!

SO the current caretakers/owners are faced with finding ways to sell more comics every month to a dwindling clientele. The mistake they have been has been to CATER to the same old readers (us!) by piling on the continuity to the point that nobady can enter our world and understand 10 percent of what they find in their first comics. Its been a mistake cause it excludes new readers..and becuase even our numbers are dwindling. And many of us LIKE a new start when its well done. Its a breath of fresh air.

Anyway, I enjoy the Ultimate line. And I read the other Spidey books.

But I dont like the FF Avengers, Thor, Iron Man and plenty of other 'new' titles.

I guess Im trying to say I like continuity. and I like new takes. I just like good comics well done.

How are they turning their back on the past? Both storylines are continuing at this time.

AND...If you still insist they are, I guess the precedent would be Superman's relaunch. Imean what was more jarring than Ma and Pa Kent being alive again? I like to think of it this way: when these cheap newspring funny book characters were created, they were expected to last a month a year, whatever. But NOONE in their right minds expected them to be valuable properties in 60 years!

SO the current caretakers/owners are faced with finding ways to sell more comics every month to a dwindling clientele. The mistake they have been has been to CATER to the same old readers (us!) by piling on the continuity to the point that nobady can enter our world and understand 10 percent of what they find in their first comics. Its been a mistake cause it excludes new readers..and becuase even our numbers are dwindling. And many of us LIKE a new start when its well done. Its a breath of fresh air.

Anyway, I enjoy the Ultimate line. And I read the other Spidey books.

But I dont like the FF Avengers, Thor, Iron Man and plenty of other 'new' titles.

I guess Im trying to say I like continuity. and I like new takes. I just like good comics well done.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it! And relaunches make me sick!!! If any of you are avid daredevil readers, you will see stories from current writers that mirror old story lines! Read daredevil #254-259 and then read the current DD #11-13 by David Mack. This is just one of the many I have noticed!