• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM #83

53 posts in this topic

BTW, Rahigh:

Waste of money to slab this. In this grade (83s in the G/VG to VG+ range) there is very little perceptible difference between the prices that slabbed vs. raw copies of #83s graded similarly will bring on Ebay.

The quality of your scan clearly shows that there isn't any restoration done on your 83.

BTW, Rahigh:

Waste of money to slab this. In this grade (83s in the G/VG to VG+ range) there is very little perceptible difference between the prices that slabbed vs. raw copies of #83s graded similarly will bring on Ebay.

The quality of your scan clearly shows that there isn't any restoration done on your 83.

It does???

I don't think so.

While you are entitled to your own opinion I think that is somewhat reckless advice to give to the guy.

Slabbing any silver age key increases the sale price - look at X-Men 1 and DD 1, tough to look at JIM 83 as not as many come up on eBay to track.

U,

Track low grade 83s from now on. Put together some numbers on the auction results. There aren't many so you may need 6 months to a year to come up with some data to study.

I think you'll find my figures sound. Keep in mind, eliminate unmet reserves and unachieved openers as auction results. Only note 83s that actually sell and show a feedback result because of that sale (show a winner, a result, and a feedback related to that auction price).

OK - am gonna put myself in bad yet one more time - but how can the quality of a front cover only scan of relatively small size indicate there is no restoration done?

Ok. Semantics aside. Let's look at this from the opposing part of the pendulum blade.

Can you please identify the areas that are remarkable to you as being suspect for color touch, trimming, cleaning, pressing, re-glossing, etc.

I must admit. I am not able to identify areas that look even the slightest bit suspect for these alterations. To me, the book looks totally untouched and if I were in the market for a raw copy, described as unrestored, I would not hesitate to bid as agressively on this book, CGCed or raw.

With your trained eyes, what do you see that would prevent you from bidding?

Ok. Semantics aside. Let's look at this from the opposing part of the pendulum blade.

Can you please identify the areas that are remarkable to you as being suspect for color touch, trimming, cleaning, pressing, re-glossing, etc.

I must admit. I am not able to identify areas that look even the slightest bit suspect for these alterations. To me, the book looks totally untouched and if I were in the market for a raw copy, described as unrestored, I would not hesitate to bid as agressively on this book, CGCed or raw.

It is what I do NOT see that would keep me from bidding. Unless I am missing a hq large scan of both front and back covers that someone posted (if so - please direct me and will happily revise this comment) - there is nothing ANYONE can make an accurate restoration judgement on. Or do you disagree?

It is what I do NOT see that would keep me from bidding. Unless I am missing a hq large scan of both front and back covers that someone posted (if so - please direct me and will happily revise this comment) - there is nothing ANYONE can make an accurate restoration judgement on. Or do you disagree?

Maybe FF could.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe FF could.

I guess Pov's point--and I could be wrong tongue.gif --is that even if there is nothing that points to obvious restoration(we could all play with our pixels again), that it would not be known without any degree of certainty if restoration has been done without a first-hand examination of the book. And I agree. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Learning the ropes??? 27_laughing.gif Come out of that Ross disguise, Dupcak!!! sumo.gif

I've loaded up the image on my scanner, and ran a Dupe-Check (as suggested by FF) on it! The book, THUSFAR, shows up on my Dupe-Checking system to be unrestored! And that's THAT! devil.gif

Rahigh, don't bother sending it in. The 83 has been thoroughly Dupe-Checked (tm FF, used by express permission) and there's no resto. acclaim.gif (Submit it anyway and you'll see. The book will get ABLUE top!) thumbsup2.gif

Learning the ropes??? 27_laughing.gif Come out of that Ross disguise, Dupcak!!! sumo.gif

I've loaded up the image on my scanner, and ran a Dupe-Check (as suggested by FF) on it! The book, THUSFAR, shows up on my Dupe-Checking system to be unrestored! And that's THAT! devil.gif

Rahigh, don't bother sending it in. The 83 has been thoroughly Dupe-Checked (tm FF, used by express permission) and there's no resto. acclaim.gif (Submit it anyway and you'll see. The book will get ABLUE top!) thumbsup2.gif

Perry,

COULD you please explain your THEORY of how one can tell if a book is not restored by lookng at a scan of a FRONT COVER?Sounds DUPE-iviuos to me,somewhat Fantastic,please HAMMER home your point. I've been grading books since METHULSA was a young girl and never learned that FANTAZIA© trick.