• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM #83

53 posts in this topic

I would have, but you mispelled "theorEy" insane.gif a personal "Bugaboo" of mine!!

Just kidding! Suffice it to say, look at all the scans on Ebay that folks here are able to "analyze" here and immediately state, "Trimmed" or "Color-touched".

Point is, that from a scan, even with pixel mapping (as I found out after trying to make that method work), it's just not practical to assume that an individual can ID resto wthout the book inhand to examine right there.

Now, to me anyway, an unrestored book has a certain look in low grade. A sort of "beyond a shadow of a doubt" look. To me, the image of the 83 just looks unrestored and I would not hesitate to bid on it if fear of restoration was a deciding factor in my passing on it. I personally would bid on it as aggresively as I would if it were the same low grade, but in a slab and if just one other bidder shared my view, the book's auction resulting price would equal that of a slabbed book.

Remember, This is not a 9.2 JIM 83 in the $15G to $20G range. It's a typical VGish #83 in the $500 to $1000 range. As the dollar value grows, and the grade of the book would climb, so would the chances that resto has been performed and a CGC check would become more and more important as the book progressed through the grade ranges from Fn to Nm.

Look at the VGish 83 again. What do you see that could have possibly been done to it to improve it's low grade appearance? To me, the image gives off the "vibes" of your average, well read, low grade copy with all the typical wear in all the typical places. I could be wrong, but I see nothing to make me think otherwise.

A scan couldn't tell you if the cover or centerfold had been reattached. I've got a few books that look unrestored in a scan that fail the test as soon as you open the front cover or open to the centerfold and see that wispy little cobwebbing on the staples. How sure can you be with just a picture? Not sure at all in my experience. Slab it.

dr. keith contarino aka jkc313 on eBay sold a JIM 83 CGC NM 9.4 last year reserve wasn't met though, so most likely off-line.

9.4?!!?! What did it get up to, since the reserve wasn't met?

I think the final price got up to some 30K if i remember,I know Josh from Comiclink sold a JIM 83 9.4 a few months ago for 40K...offline. Kevin

think the final price got up to some 30K if i remember,I know Josh from Comiclink sold a JIM 83 9.4 a few months ago for 40K...offline. Kevin

Which is why I probably will never own a copy nicer than CGC VF (maybe VF+). cloud9.gif

Just to set the record straight, I've owned this book for 40 years!!!!!! There is NO restoration on it. The back cover is ok. To me it looks like a nice 2.5-3.0 or so book. Most of my early silver age books I bought from my local newsstand or traded with friends when we all collected as kids. As you can see from this book, we throughly enjoyed them. Condition meant nothing to us back then. I've attached another example of how much we loved reading these books. (And no, as you can probably tell, there is no restoration on this one either.)

274832-spidey1.jpg.3788cc72d52c37d56c89c64c029a5379.jpg

think the final price got up to some 30K if i remember,I know Josh from Comiclink sold a JIM 83 9.4 a few months ago for 40K...offline. Kevin

Which is why I probably will never own a copy nicer than CGC VF (maybe VF+). cloud9.gif

Why not? you got the $$ don't you?

Just to set the record straight, I've owned this book for 40 years!!!!!! There is NO restoration on it.

NO one is saying there IS restoration. Some say they can tell from that front cover scan the book is unrestored. Others say they need more before assessing.

But remember the question you asked in creating this thread: "Should I get this CGC'ed before I sell it?"

No one is accusing your book of being restored. But almost everyone is trying to give you their perception of whether you should CGC the book before putting it up for sale.

Ra,

I think that by now, you should have a firm grasp of the concensus. Slab the Supes, the Spiderman 1, the JIM 83, anything else you have from 40 years ago, and any comic you might have bought today, off the rack. It's the only way everyone here will be happy. Remember, "the more you spend on slabbing, the more we love you".

Spend on the plastic! Low grade. High grade. 40 years old. 4 days old. Really doesn't matter. Just write those checks and tomorrow some neighborhood kids will carry your mom's groceries back from the market! "It's all about RESPECT". thumbsup2.gif