• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Review Anime show

1 post in this topic

I set up as a vendor for the Animecon here in south florida this past weekend.

I dont get the anime thing, Vendors sell Anime of course, but focus seems to be on these demented wide eyed plushy animals, as well as japanese snacks (ok, I concede, I tried Pocky, and it was good), and 14 year old girls dressed in revealing inappropriate garb.

South Florida is a tough draw for a straight comic show but clearly Anime draws, this Anime show was packed wall to wall people for most of the 3 days. On saturday we must have drawn every available body within 100 miles that fit into either the tatoo, latex and leather wearers, and the pedophiles that love them camps.

I brought piles of graphic novels to sell, not manga, but standard Marvel, DC, Dark Horse material, also some fantasy art books and did ok, sold a few hundred books,average book $20 cover price . But I did nothing compared to the guys who know anime and sold the toys that went with it.

Crazy Ed was there and I sold him a sweet CGC 7.0 Hulk 181 at a fair price, but he was pretty miffed I would not take his check and needed him to do an ATM run to pay me. I brought just 1 lil box of comics to sell, mostly variants, and sold a few. Out of the 2 dealers rooms there were a total of 2 comic dealers, counting Crazy Ed.

Great show in terms of energy, crowd was buzzing, lots of activity (panels, movies, etc) for customers. I would estimate that 50 percent of the attendance was in some sort of costume, which I would say is easily the highest percentage I have every seen at a show.

I have not heard official attendance figure but would guess 3500, in other words huge crowd. Good show, anyone from here make it?