• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men pages coming out of the wood work

9 posts in this topic

Is it just me, or are the number of early new X-Men pages and splashes that have come on to the market recently been more frequent than usual.

Just seems like there is a new Byrne page or 2 up every week. I'm not complaining as its nice to see the art, just curious are they comparable to Hulk 181 in comic book terms?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280179287338

Wow. I found the winning bid pretty surprising. I would have pegged it in the $5-6K range. I guess this page had more appeal than I thought as there were 3 seperate bidders willing to go over $7K. And it looks like Albert sat this one out, to boot!

Wow. I found the winning bid pretty surprising. I would have pegged it in the $5-6K range. I guess this page had more appeal than I thought as there were 3 seperate bidders willing to go over $7K. And it looks like Albert sat this one out, to boot!

I agree. I had thought 6K, but this is probably one of the best and most-remembered story arcs, and the page was super clean with tight pencils and inks, and great action. I guess if you want one near-perfect Byrne X-Men example, this might have been your chance, and 3 bidders seemed to agree.

The page just before this one in #131 sold for $8k or so from Anthony Snyder's website...it is a favorite issue of many and the art is extremely sweet. My guess is the winner of the previous page went large to get its counterpart. Just a guess.

Sigh...

Dan

The page on eBay had alot to recommend it.

It foreshadowed Kitty and Colossus's relationship (note that the only X-man holding Kitty is Colossus, and that Colossus is smiling when he looks at her, apparently smitten).

It has big panels with nice big drawings of the X-men, not the small panels with super tiny drawings that appear in other pages. Some of the X-men appear in costume.

A shirtless Wolverine.

And then the dialogue, which I found as campy and corny now as when it was written, but no less riveting. "If your weapon had the power of an army. . . it would do no good, against one who can turn to solid steel!"

Then there's that last panel, which may be one of the best of Colossus ever drawn. You don't need a sound effect, because you can literally feel the bones of the bad guy being liquidated under a punch that could crush a building.

Good stuff.

And, as with all good stuff, it costs.

- A