• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide is looking for feedback.

94 posts in this topic

The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide is looking for feedback. If you are an Overstreet Advisor, you were just emailed an important question from Bob Overstreet and the staff at Gemstone Publishing. This will also be posted in the In The Limelight section in tomorrow’s edition of Scoop, at which time feedback from all interested parties is welcome.

I'd like to see some of the classic golden age covers (War, GGA, etc.) be broken out from the surrounding issues. I'm not saying that prices should be automatically increased with next OS guide, but these issues definitely deserve more recognition.

My suggestion: Create a 'NV = No Value' annotation or some 'less than cover price' annotation to apply to 80% of the books from the 80's and 90s instead of the standard 2.00 or 2.50 they do now so poor unsupecting former speculators don't get misled into thinking their krapp actually has value.

My suggestion: Create a 'NV = No Value' annotation or some 'less than cover price' annotation to apply to 80% of the books from the 80's and 90s instead of the standard 2.00 or 2.50 they do now so poor unsupecting former speculators don't get misled into thinking their krapp actually has value.
(worship) Great suggestion!

We can come up with a 100% accurate No Value list using topofthetotems collection list! (thumbs u

We can come up with a 100% accurate No Value list using topofthetotems collection list! (thumbs u

Of course I purchase off of you regularly. :whistle:

Every year as our staff works on assembling The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, it's readily apparent to us that there is a lot of data, much of it contradictory, to sift through concerning prices. When one looks at the assembled market reports from traditional comic book dealers, high-end auction houses, serious collectors and online or eBay dealers, it is definitely enough to make even an experienced hand take pause.

Add to the equation the perceived differences in value between "raw" or uncertified comics and the same issue and grade of those that have been certified by an independent third party service such as CGC, then the confusion in the marketplace becomes even more apparent.

At this point, we believe the demand for regular pricing updates and market analysis to supplement the annual Guide is clear. What is not so defined, though, is what form such updates should take.

We need to hear from you on this. A few years ago, we published a periodical called Overstreet's Comic Price Review. During its short run, we were able to correctly anticipate and document market trends including the accelerated disparity in high-end prices, the dramatic spike in interest in Bronze Age and Copper Age comics, the revitalization of interest in Conan, the surge in variant covers offered by current new comics publishers, the sustained fan interest in early and very late Valiant comics and even the appeal of Ultimate Spider-Man.

For whatever reason, though, the publication didn't sustain its readership. We'd like to believe that it was simply ahead of its time, let's face it, CGC just certified their one millionth comic and the market for certified books is now definitely more mature - but the truth is the reason doesn't matter. In the end, we weren't serving the audience well enough.

We learned a lot from this.

We put what we learned into the deliberations surrounding the most recent edition of The Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide. As you'll no doubt recall, those were some lively discussions! Everyone from comics historians to the most experienced dealers and from neophyte collectors to comics professionals participated, offering us a tremendously diverse group of suggestions and discussion points.

That's what we'd like to hear from you. What is the best way to get updated pricing and market information to you? How would you like to read it? How can we make this work?

Keeping the Guide up-to-date is a relentless process. As always, we hope you'll join us.

Please feel free to email us your suggestions at feedback@gemstonepub.com . Look for the discussion in Scoop over the coming weeks and months.

On behalf of Bob Overstreet and everyone at Gemstone Publishing, we want to wish you Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas, and the very best throughout the New Year.

hm

Jim

:eek:

hm

I agree 100%, but publicizing the fact that some comics are basically worthless is probably not good business for Gemstone, given that their business exists in the first place due to the (real or imagined) values of the comics listed in the Guide...

to me it seems, the way to keep readership going on an update, is to discuss what people are actively collecting. Which to my eyes, would be all areas of GA-BA, with notes on copper books that are popping. What about quarterly magazine, $10 cover, a nice thick chompy. Talk about notable sales, lots of market reports, cgc & raw sales data, have some content like the CBM. Color pictures, a real class act, see? Maybe a focus feature/ theme each issue, but not to the exclusion of the other areas of interest.

The annual guide is ok, but honestly, SOOOooo much space is wasted on comics worth less then cover (As noted above) while detailed listing of classic books are left out for space reasons (Also noted above) it would be GREAT if both of those issues could be solved at the same time.

Simple...go on-line with the guide and have quarterly/monthly updates paid for via yearly subscription.

Going the hardcopy route with the Guide and various updates isn't going to work in today's digital environment. The hardcopy rational went out with "pin and ink" changes at least a decade ago...

Jim

The first cover appearance of Lois Lane is Action 27, not 29!!!

Everybody acknowledges this except you!!!!!!:frustrated:

I second this, and Supes #16 is the first Clark Kent cover.. not a big deal but worth mentioning.