• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very 1st Ghost Rider and Origin - Long Lost Gem from 1949

21 posts in this topic

When we think of the Ghost Rider more recent collectors immediatley point to Marvel Spotlight #5 and his following appearances in that title, the 1970's Ghost Rider series, and a host of other appearances in the Bronze age of comics. A few collectors remember the earlier series that Marvel produced in 1967 but it is the Rider called Johnny Blaze that nearly all collectors relate to.

Some of the older (or should I say "more mature") collectors like myself remember the stunning covers illustrated by Frank Frazetta which brought this title to our attention. They were simply awesome! Yet nothing really tied the past to the present, merging these two distant characters into one panoramic story, until the recent Ghost Rider movie starring Nicholas Cage and Sam Elliott.

It was in this block buster movie that the story was told to an entire new audience building the present Ghost Rider on the foundation of the original Ghost Rider and brilliantly merging the two heroes into a single and well constructed story.

I have asked several customers (who collect this title) when the very first appearance of the Ghost Rider appeared and not a single one of them knew. Some guesses ranged from the 1960's Marvel series, to Ghost Rider #1 published by Magazine Enterprises in 1950. Not a single collector was aware that his first appearance was in Tim Holt #11 from 1949.

This issue contains the first ever appearance of the Ghost Rider. It also has his first cover appearance and his origin in a six page interior story. Much like Detective Comics #27 (which featured the 1st Batman cover and story) this book is The issue that started it all.

Below is a look at the cover and two interior page snipes for your enjoyment.

48756-GhostRiderC.jpg.42082a58755636358a1ff72cb7342f8f.jpg

48757-GhostRiderB.jpg.44281f959577c62eccf588dbf26c616b.jpg

Pretty convienent this is hyped as a new arrival on your website... hm

Please take the spam to the Marketplace...

Jim

What crawled up your azz? He's not on here pimping his site nor does he even mention it. Quit being a .

Pretty convienent this is hyped as a new arrival on your website... hm

Please take the spam to the Marketplace...

Jim

What crawled up your azz? He's not on here pimping his site nor does he even mention it. Quit being a .

I'll get right on that...Thanks... meh

Jim

Yeah, I didn't know about this issue until a few years ago but there has been multiple discussions about this issue on these boards in just the short time I've been a member. I know many of the collectors here on this board are beyond the average collector, but I would bet money that the majority of board members who collect pre bronze age Ghost Rider know that this is his 1st appearance. It's on many want lists, including mine! Ha!

Thanks for posting the interiors, I had never seen them. And nice book...

Thanks for the kind comments.

Thankfully I did take some pictures of the story before I submitted the book for grading because I had never read the story before and never saw it reprinted. Has it ever been reprinted anywhere? Perhaps in the original series?

Anyway, here is another spread.....

48812-GhostRiderPage3.jpg.bb71de4b6f2e7555bcc4d912af1d2753.jpg

Ummm, did I miss something? That doesn't look like the bronze age Ghost Rider. We're talking about two entirely different characters named Ghost Rider, correct?

Does this particular GR have some previously unknown link to the Marvel Spotlight GR?

Am I missing something with this thread? I don't see the Bronze Age relevance of this thread.

The Ghost Rider of the "West" is not the Johnny Blaze motorcycle Ghost Rider. The only similarities between these two characters is that they share the same name and have "supernatural powers." Nothing more, nothing less.

bronzejohnny

Am I missing something with this thread? I don't see the Bronze Age relevance of this thread.

The Ghost Rider of the "West" is not the Johnny Blaze motorcycle Ghost Rider. The only similarities between these two characters is that they share the same name and have "supernatural powers." Nothing more, nothing less.

bronzejohnny

I thought Mark was justifying putting this thread in the BA forum when he said:

"It was in this block buster movie that the story was told to an entire new audience building the present Ghost Rider on the foundation of the original Ghost Rider and brilliantly merging the two heroes into a single and well constructed story."

I haven`t seen the GR movie, so I have no idea if it`s true or not. Does the movie somehow tie the Johnny Blaze BA Ghost Rider to the GA/SA western Ghost Rider?

I'm sorry, but a reference made in a film does not alter or even make connections in the realm of comic book history.

So what if the movie ties the characters together. By the way, didn't the last Hulk film have the alter-ego of the Absorbing Man as Bruce Banner's father?

bronzejohnny

I'm sorry, but a reference made in a film does not alter or even make connections in the realm of comic book history.

So what if the movie ties the characters together. By the way, didn't the last Hulk film have the alter-ego of the Absorbing Man as Bruce Banner's father?

bronzejohnny

I`m not saying I agree with Mark`s rationale, just explaining that was his justification.

I'm not taking issue with you. It appears as if Mark is citing a Hollywood movie as his source of information for putting this thread in the BA. Now that's an incredible stretch.

Nevertheless, Mark is entitled to his opinion.

Ummm, did I miss something? That doesn't look like the bronze age Ghost Rider. We're talking about two entirely different characters named Ghost Rider, correct?

Does this particular GR have some previously unknown link to the Marvel Spotlight GR?

If you watch the recent movie you can see how they tied the present Ghost Rider to the original Ghost Rider. It was a great concept that I enjoyed,

If you watch the recent movie you can see how they tied the present Ghost Rider to the original Ghost Rider. It was a great concept that I enjoyed,

How about an answer to my pm.

:makepoint: