• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A tad bit scared to move into 5-10K books knowing they may be 1K books modified

28 posts in this topic

Seriously I'm looking at buying some really expensive books and now knowing what's going on with the modifications of 8.5's to 9.2's very wary.

Are we being baited?

Scary situation at the very least.

Proceed with extreme caution.

Advice: Buy reader copies and invest elsewhere.

^^

SImple, direct and so very right.

Seriously I'm looking at buying some really expensive books and now knowing what's going on with the modifications of 8.5's to 9.2's very wary.

Are we being baited?

Scary situation at the very least.

Which scenario is less scary or offensive -- buying a book that was only slabbed once, but improved/pressed or buying a book that was slabbed, cracked, pressed, resub'd, & reslabbed for a higher grade??

Unless this information was disclosed to you or you did not know in the first place it is all relative. I think the skeptic in me now just thinks whenever I see a silver book that is just a little too immaculate or pan cake flat mint like in a slab, it most likely was pressed. Red Hook has a good point. But if you're a speculator then there is always going to be that risk/reward relationship which must be managed.

whenever I see a silver book that is just a little too immaculate or pan cake flat mint like in a slab
you do realize that a book that has been pressed is still the same thickness as a book that hasnt been, right?

The whole, conservation of matter principle.

If you're buying pricey books to have the best or buying expensive "keys" stick with slabbed books. That way you are already guaranteed of them having a resto check and of being professionally graded instead of their opinion versus yours. Because a shift in grade can have a huge impact on price.

Just my 2c

whenever I see a silver book that is just a little too immaculate or pan cake flat mint like in a slab
you do realize that a book that has been pressed is still the same thickness as a book that hasnt been, right?

The whole, conservation of matter principle.

I completely do. That was actually a very ignorant statement on my part. I guess the best way I could describe it, is that sometimes I am very visually skeptical on certain slabs. But as bob points out, not all high grade slabs are pressed.

It is up to the individual and need to know. For some its a big deal, for others they are content with the blue label and do not need a history report card of the comic.

If you're buying pricey books to have the best or buying expensive "keys" stick with slabbed books. That way you are already guaranteed of them having a resto check and of being professionally graded instead of their opinion versus yours. Because a shift in grade can have a huge impact on price.

Just my 2c

Great Point! I've been burned on a couple raw books because I have no eye for restoration. They certainly weren't $1000+ books but they were pricey for me. Very sobering... :pullhair: