• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The Pressing Debate" all boils down to differing 'belief systems'

785 posts in this topic

Like or not, it's probably the most divisive topic around here. Talking about it doesn't hurt anyone. If you're tired of it, don't read it. The subject matter of the thread was clearly labeled.

I for one, don't read through threads that don't interest me, and then complain about the existence of the thread. That seems kinda' silly.

Nicely put Red, these noob's having a moan for the sake of moan just makes me think they're at the wrong time of the month once again.

This an important emotive issue that needs to be ratified out one way or another. And stop having those profiting from the practice , trying to convince their victims sorry, customers, that the practice in it's clearest form is a valid aspect of modern comic collecting.

compostable_fertilizer.

They run out of coffee in Crankyville this morning? Come on, Doc, lighten up! :hi:

:foryou: <3 :foryou:

"However, the point I was making was that the vast majority of 'vested interest' parties don't believe pressing is resto. True belief, or convenience?"

A good question no doubt. Although if we are to believe they feel pressing isn't resto due to convenience or because of a "vested" interest. Are we making a statement as to the character of these individuals?

I'd like to think most people in our hobby truly believe what they say and don't formulate their belief system based upon dollars.

PS: I don't think of pressing as resto. I suppose that if I did, then all the stacks of books sitting in my office are in a state of being pressed.

Steve,

I've got a fair amount of agreement with this...and have also concluded that it will never be solved, nor ever go away as a debate.

However, one observation...I find it curious that the people who stand to make the most $$$ out of pressing...the dealers, the pressers, the auction houses, CGC...are also the ones that possess a different belief system to myself.

Chicken or egg? (shrug)

So true. There are people who stand to lose a lot if this whole pressing/restoration debate isn't clouded up with constant bickering and obsfucation. You can always tell the collectors who have a lot of money invested in restored books or who profit from pressing. They either scream the loudest or moan about the constant worthlessness of this debate. Greed is the major factor here....but none of this would matter if disclosure were integrated completely into the hobby, since it would then just be a matter of choice. The sad thing here, is that if it weren't for the deceit that was practised early on with hidden restoration, this whole matter could have been better integrated into the hobby. I remember talking to Matt Nelson years ago, who would advise against restoring certain types of books...to his credit. Unfortunately there were others who would work on books that had no business being touched or other books, who's restoration were so poorly done, that you no longer held much of the true book in your hands.

I actually think that the forces of evil...errm...I mean the pro resto/nondisclosure crowd, love these threads, because it gives the appearance of the comic community being decidedly split in it's opinion of this subject, which I don't believe to be the case. I think greed plays too big a part in all of this, pure and simple and those with the most to gain, scream the loudest.

Steve,

I've got a fair amount of agreement with this...and have also concluded that it will never be solved, nor ever go away as a debate.

However, one observation...I find it curious that the people who stand to make the most $$$ out of pressing...the dealers, the pressers, the auction houses, CGC...are also the ones that possess a different belief system to myself.

Chicken or egg? (shrug)

Steve is a collector...he believes differently than you. (shrug)

I am going to take issue with the idea that only those who profit from pressing believe that it is not restoration. That is not a fact, it is a belief. It is a great soundbite when trying to convince the undecided that pressing is bad.

It is, in fact, a false assumption.

Just as false as the assumption that all the folks who think pressing is restoration are the same folks who never want to pay what a book is worth.

I am going to take issue with the idea that only those who profit from pressing believe that it is not restoration. That is not a fact, it is a belief. It is a great soundbite when trying to convince the undecided that pressing is bad.

It is, in fact, a false assumption.

Just as false as the assumption that all the folks who think pressing is restoration are the same folks who never want to pay what a book is worth.

Actually, Richard, you might want to catch up with your reading. My next post on the subject agreed that there are collectors who do indeed agree with pressing and don't consider it resto.

I never asserted otherwise. (thumbs u

I agree. I would have a book pressed to remove a flaw and improve its presentation even if it wouldn't raise the grade.

I would agree with the good Doctor here. If I had a book that presented well but had a NCBC I would have no problem having the crease pressed out. I hate little defects like that and having a book pressed does not bother me.

I would, on the flip side let a potential buyer know that the book had a crease, bend, wave pressed out of it. I did that on a recent ebay auction for my GI Joe #21. Sold alot lower than I would have liked but I made sure whoever was looking knew the book had work done to it.

I participated in Matt's offer last year and sent him three books for spot pressing of ncb creases on the covers. They look better. I think that kind of procedure is at the low end of the pressing scale. But I would still let any future buyer know what was done to the books.

oK, guys. Let's pick up the tempo a little bit. There are already SIX pages on this thread and not a single person has gotten banned yet. I know we can do better than this. Let me remind you what makes these threads classic so we can get back on track:

1. Personal attacks. This is key. And I'm not seeing nearly enough of them on here right now.

2. Bringing up past issues that only people that were registered for the boards pre-internet remember. This often leads to #1 and a solid suspension.

3. Matt Nelson. Why am I the first person to be typing his name? Raise your game people!!

4. We need more people who normally don't leave the GA section to be posting. That'll usually get things going if any of the above 3 fail.

5. Disclosure. I shouldn't be the first person typing this word either.

It's like you've all forgotten how to get banned. How can the new people really understand the full breadth of this debate without someone cracking out a personal attack and 3 other people weighing in on it. And no "nod" to Matt Nelson? (get the pun?) That's clearly shameful.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled pressing thread...

3 hours later and the thread has grown to 6 pages. This is without the posters who typically post in pressing threads having yet to press. DANG, I mean't "post". Slip.

I can't believe that someone remembers Doug Henning.

I mentioned Matt and I thought someone else did previously. I think disclosure has already been mentioned.....in my first post. Beat you to it, anyway, Rob! lol

Who is this Matt you speak of hm

oK, guys. Let's pick up the tempo a little bit. There are already SIX pages on this thread and not a single person has gotten banned yet. I know we can do better than this. Let me remind you what makes these threads classic so we can get back on track:

1. Personal attacks. This is key. And I'm not seeing nearly enough of them on here right now.

2. Bringing up past issues that only people that were registered for the boards pre-internet remember. This often leads to #1 and a solid suspension.

3. Matt Nelson. Why am I the first person to be typing his name? Raise your game people!!

4. We need more people who normally don't leave the GA section to be posting. That'll usually get things going if any of the above 3 fail.

5. Disclosure. I shouldn't be the first person typing this word either.

It's like you've all forgotten how to get banned. How can the new people really understand the full breadth of this debate without someone cracking out a personal attack and 3 other people weighing in on it. And no "nod" to Matt Nelson? (get the pun?) That's clearly shameful.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled pressing thread...

This is a kinder, gentler pressing thread. So, shut the up. :foryou::luhv::)

I mentioned Matt and I thought someone else did previously. I think disclosure has already been mentioned.....in my first post. Beat you to it, anyway, Rob! lol

I know. I just can't help it. I'm just waiting to see that overturned truck on the side of the highway and wanted to do my part to contribute to it. lol

Happy Holidays!