• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Gorey!

20 posts in this topic

Well, I couldn't resist going down to the Illustration House auction today and winning my second Gorey in a little over a week. This one's relatively large for a Gorey original, and it's signed (which I've found is pretty rare for his work). Reportedly, it was published int he NY Times, although I don't know what year and in what capacity. It features a writer sitting inside a wheel of cheese, and eating as she writes. Very odd and quirky, and by definition a classic Gorey image.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=330564&GSub=5488&GCat=0&UCat=0

Incidentally, they also sold a beautiful Frazetta original oil for 45K, which was a steal as far as I'm concerned! Didn't expect it to go so low, or I would have been more mentally prepared to bid.

Ah, it was a lovely piece and I considered bidding...but realized that what I really wanted was something along the lines of the Three Detectives piece that you'd purchased earlier. (It was that darn Detectives piece that got me thinking about Gorey again.)

I'd be shocked if that lovely Frazetta went for under 100K. But I've been shocked before.

good deal on the gorey - and great deal on the frazetta- was looking at it - oh well next time

Thanks! They had the Gorey estimate quite low (fortunately!), and I got it for about half what I was prepared to bid. I was really (really!) thrilled by the hammer price, even when you throw in the buyer's premium and the fact that I had to pay NY State Tax.

heart- the gorey was pretty nice - a little offbeat - but so was he- any idea how much the charles addams piece went for ? how about the early peanus?- for those not in the know - illustration house is a fine little auction house in nyc - they have been in buisness for many many years and are top notch - i have bought many items from them over the years - A + illustration house will also be appearing at the nyc comiccon - i gave some thought to the frazetta - although it is nice - and yes it is FRAZETTA - i thought 50-60 k would be a great price to get it- which is what i assume the high bidder paid for it with premium -

heart- the gorey was pretty nice - a little offbeat - but so was he- any idea how much the charles addams piece went for ? how about the early peanus?- for those not in the know - illustration house is a fine little auction house in nyc - they have been in buisness for many many years and are top notch - i have bought many items from them over the years - A + illustration house will also be appearing at the nyc comiccon - i gave some thought to the frazetta - although it is nice - and yes it is FRAZETTA - i thought 50-60 k would be a great price to get it- which is what i assume the high bidder paid for it with premium -

The three Peanuts strips went for between 18 and 25K (including premium). The 1975 strip with Charlie Brown and Snoopy went twice the estimate. I think they underestimated the premium collectors place on having both Charlie Brown and Snoopy in the same strip. The Dr. Seuss illustration went for something between 80 and 85K. It was a beautiful illustration, and I hadn't seen something that nice by him in years (published). I can't remember what the Charles Adams piece went for; I guess I should have been writing the final prices down. And, you're correct, the Frazetta ended north of 50K but less than 60K. It was very nice in person. There also was an original Erte painting from 1961 which was quite nice, and somewhat unique compared to his typical style. All in all, a fun afternoon! Even my wife enjoyed it!

Hari

Another nice pickup. Congrats. Just of out curiosity do you know who ended up with the Frazetta. I agree, pretty nice price for a published oil.

I think it was a phone bidder, so I'm not sure.

Also, Illustration House will be having some sort of art sale or expo at the New York Comic-Con in April. I know Zaddick Longenbach (AKA AKA on CAF) is helping them organize it, although I don't think the details have been ironed out yet. Should be interesting.

heart- the gorey was pretty nice - a little offbeat - but so was he- any idea how much the charles addams piece went for ?

Chas Addams was $16,100 out the door....

The Frazetta was $51,750 all in ($45k gavel)...

Auction Results

C

Great piece. I have been a Gorey fan ever since the age of eight when I began reading John Bellairs books.

His art is very impressive when you see the amount of detail in person. That, and the fact that his humor is just like mine ;)

We now have 5 Gorey illustrations, so we're in the process of having a Gorey wall in our home. That's the bright side of having art that both my wife and I like!

Great piece. I have been a Gorey fan ever since the age of eight when I began reading John Bellairs books.

His art is very impressive when you see the amount of detail in person. That, and the fact that his humor is just like mine ;)

That's a little scary...a Doctor who shares his sense of humor with Gorey.

If I did not know what you looked like I would be picturing this: :baiting:

sweeneybook.jpg

I mean if you would have said you were a lawyer and shared his sense of humor I could see the linkage. lol

Nice pickup BTW,,,you pretty much stole that piece.

C

That's a little scary...a Doctor who shares his sense of humor with Gorey.

If I did not know what you looked like I would be picturing this: :baiting:

sweeneybook.jpg

I mean if you would have said you were a lawyer and shared his sense of humor I could see the linkage. lol

Nice pickup BTW,,,you pretty much stole that piece.

C

I guess I do look as good as Johnny Depp. Thanks for noticing!

We now have 5 Gorey illustrations, so we're in the process of having a Gorey wall in our home. That's the bright side of having art that both my wife and I like!

Do you have pics of your other pieces?

I was so inspired by your purchase that I BINed this Mystery! promotional poster. Gorey art and I loved the PBS series, especially Poirot and Cadfael.

Do you have pics of your other pieces?

I was so inspired by your purchase that I BINed this Mystery! promotional poster. Gorey art and I loved the PBS series, especially Poirot and Cadfael.

Ah, another image of the Three Detectives! Excellent! Glad I got you interested in the art by this master. I do have scans somewhere, will post them when I get a chance.

Here's one.....

Published 1964 as the inside front cover illustration of the novel "The Dream World of Dion McGregor", which means this was drawn right around the same time as X-Men 1, Avengers 1 and ASM 1 :)

artmodels.jpg