• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the big deal about back covers?

9 posts in this topic

From a collecting standpoint, why should back cover damage subtract as much from a grade as front covers? I've seen grading threads here that indicate that you subtract exactly the same amount for back cover problems as front.

Back cover art, being a mass-produced ad, is usually 100 times more common in every grade that a unique issue's front cover art. If the hobby is supposed to be about collecting something that's artistic and rare, than front cover condition should be more important. Back cover condition should only matter to those who are just concerned about having a perfect item in their collection.

So what's the big deal? (Now of course, I'm talking about small creases, folds or fading in the back, not crazy water damage or anything.)

From a collecting standpoint, why should back cover damage subtract as much from a grade as front covers? I've seen grading threads here that indicate that you subtract exactly the same amount for back cover problems as front.

Back cover art, being a mass-produced ad, is usually 100 times more common in every grade that a unique issue's front cover art. If the hobby is supposed to be about collecting something that's artistic and rare, than front cover condition should be more important. Back cover condition should only matter to those who are just concerned about having a perfect item in their collection.

So what's the big deal? (Now of course, I'm talking about small creases, folds or fading in the back, not crazy water damage or anything.)

well, yeah, that would make sense if we were front cover collectors. but since we're comic collectors, one should probably presume that the entire book is pretty important. "rarity" in this hobby is directly tied to condition in all but the most arcane of circumstances. the vast majority of books are available in quantity. the only differentiating factor for the vast majority of these is the overall grade of the book. Rarity in grade isn't something that just stops at the front cover.

condition is condition is condition, regardless of where it happens. would you be happy paying NM prices for a book that was advertised as a NM with a 1/2" tear on the BC? or a 1/2" fold that breaks colour? what about a nice stain, with a spot of gunk in the middle of it?

:popcorn:

condition is condition is condition, regardless of where it happens. would you be happy paying NM prices for a book that was advertised as a NM with a 1/2" tear on the BC? or a 1/2" fold that breaks colour? what about a nice stain, with a spot of gunk in the middle of it?

Very nicely said, Sal. but how CAN you eat popcron so soon after talking about gunk and stains? :sick:

Very nicely said, Sal. but how CAN you eat popcron so soon after talking about gunk and stains? :sick:

i assumed the gunk was some sort of caramel residue. (shrug)

While a comic with all that on the back shouldn't be advertised NM, I would think that a 1/2 inch tear on the back should reduce the grade by much less than a 1/2 inch tear on the front would. Like the former would be a 8.0 and the latter a 5.5 or something (to throw out random numbers).

But that's just my take on it, or what I would do if I was supreme ruler of the industry. There isn't really that much room for personal opinion when it comes to grading books.

What's the big deal about back covers?

Wanna buy my ASM 10 on the front cover alone?

$800 shipped for a VF! :whistle:

Let's see the back cover.

:(

49433-ASM10back.jpg.d76ff32ff882c1cadd2f3f40fe043291.jpg