• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Too much masking lately

87 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hey guys,

Just a reminder that the profanity filter isn't there to be circumvented. This is a public board and one associated with a business - so we'd like to keep the general level of language broadly acceptable to all ages, and appropriate for the hosts.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Regards,

Arch

This isn't a smart er... alec question, but is there a list of acceptable swear words, or should I operate under the impression that if it isn't *spooned* then it is okay. Also, I am not talking about compound words to circumnavigate the filter.

I think I'm a tolerant and reasonable guy, but some of the filter choices I find surprising. Perhaps if there's too much masking, the filter is set too strict? Just because this is a public, all-ages board doesn't mean that the langauge level should be reduced to pablum.

Maybe we should filter the masks?

Or at least out the masks... (shrug)

Not sure of who it was but I think someone was posting half nude pics of Gary Coleman and using all sorts of offending lingo.

R.

i think the fact that you used the word "pablum" indicates still that just becase we can't use certain profanities that that doesn't mean we have to infantize our language.

The fact you were able to use "infantize" certainly validiates your assertion!

i think the fact that you used the word "pablum" indicates still that just becase we can't use certain profanities that that doesn't mean we have to infantize our language.

Masking! Mod notified!

Just so you know... "infantize" is not a real word. :gossip:

My point is that certain words are being *spooned* which are not necessarily all that bad. In another post I named a popular tropical drink, The Suffering B******, and it came out as Suffering *spoon*.

I can understand filtering four-letter words and other bits of language that are not acceptable in polite company, but the filtered word in the tropical drink is something you'd hear on broadcast TV.