• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Too much masking lately

87 posts in this topic

i think the fact that you used the word "pablum" indicates still that just becase we can't use certain profanities that that doesn't mean we have to infantize our language.

My point is that certain words are being *spooned* which are not necessarily all that bad. In another post I named a popular tropical drink, The Suffering B******, and it came out as Suffering *spoon*.

I can understand filtering four-letter words and other bits of language that are not acceptable in polite company, but the filtered word in the tropical drink is something you'd hear on broadcast TV.

Do you expect the profanity filter to make a determination based on the context? I dont think its that sophisticated. Most of us are intelligent enough to figure out whats being said.

The only issue being brought up here is the blatant circumventing of the filter. I dont think this example really applies.

I think I'm a tolerant and reasonable guy, but some of the filter choices I find surprising. Perhaps if there's too much masking, the filter is set too strict? Just because this is a public, all-ages board doesn't mean that the langauge level should be reduced to pablum.

Jeez . . . How old do you have to be to know what "pablum" is? hm And here, i thought I was old. lol

I think I'm a tolerant and reasonable guy, but some of the filter choices I find surprising. Perhaps if there's too much masking, the filter is set too strict? Just because this is a public, all-ages board doesn't mean that the langauge level should be reduced to pablum.

Jeez . . . How old do you have to be to know what "pablum" is? hm And here, i thought I was old. lol

lol

pab·lum (pāb'ləm)

n. Trite, insipid, or simplistic writing, speech, or conceptualization: "We have to settle for the pablum that passes for the inside dope" (Julie Salamon).

When I first joined I was trying to figure out why the hell everyone used the word "spoon"... lol

lol

pab·lum (pāb'ləm)

n. Trite, insipid, or simplistic writing, speech, or conceptualization: "We have to settle for the pablum that passes for the inside dope" (Julie Salamon).

When I first joined I was trying to figure out why the hell everyone used the word "spoon"... lol

Cuz we like to cuddle. :cloud9:

lol

pab·lum (pāb'ləm)

As I've said before...Spooning leads to Forking (tsk)

lol

pab·lum (pāb'ləm)

and Forking the wrong person can lead to Knifing. it's a vicious cycle, really

lol

pab·lum (pāb'ləm)

Whatever it takes. yay2.gif

lol

pab·lum (pāb'ləm)

Now that is clever!

lol

pab·lum (pāb'ləm)

The word pablum always reminds me of the old Morton Downey Junior show. One of his favorite insults was "pablum puking liberal"

lol

pab·lum (pāb'ləm)

Yeah... cuz if you get Knifed, you'll really be Spooned then... possibly Forked for life...

I agree that generally only words that are not allowed on tv should be filtered.

That pretty much means all of these words

(4 letter word for fornicating and many other uses)

mess (4 letter word for poop)

(3 letter word for your behind)

person_without_enough_empathy (female dog)

(males dna)

*spoon* (female sex organ)

(male sex organ)

I am sure there are many more, but my brain is tired.