• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie question.

10 posts in this topic

How is it that I see many people selling slabs in the $10-15 range? hm

I'm assuming there is a huge discount with volume submissions? I can’t see anyone biting the bullet and taking losses like these.

Can anyone emphasize on the cost per slabs?

It's all about total return in relation to all sales.

I submitted 100+ books last summer.

Sold 30+ for a handsome profit.

Sold 30+ for a small profit.

Keeping 20+ for my own collection.

That leaves over a dozen books that I either get something...anything...for, or I eat the entire cost (book, slabbing, listing fees). These books were either over-graded by moi (under-graded by CGC?) or popularity has waned.

Thus concludes this abbreviated Biz 101 course.

Rick

Yep, and as a fortunate side effect this creates nice little bargains to be snapped up by the likes of me, who enjoys a nicely framed classic comic cover even in 8.5/9.0 :grin:

Seriously, the stuff I grew up with (1980's) is next to worthless in less than 9.4, but it still looks good and takes me back...

You also have to take into account the people who are hoping for about 5 9.9's per 100 and maybe 1 10.0 out of the 100 submitted. You make a bunch of money if you sell the 94 at cost and the 6 sell for crazy cash.

Of course, I don't think anyone is 100% on getting above 9.8 of all submittions if you are submitting 100s of issues. I guess its all a numbers game. A general waste of time numbers game to me but thats just me.

How is it that I see many people selling slabs in the $10-15 range? hm

I'm assuming there is a huge discount with volume submissions? I can’t see anyone biting the bullet and taking losses like these.

Can anyone emphasize on the cost per slabs?

Are you watching....... lonely books?