• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Feel The Church Books Being Stored in Stacks

597 posts in this topic

Looks like you chose wisely. Which scanner did you buy?

I got the HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-One (Printer, copier, fax, scanner).

I'm thrilled to be finally getting scans up in my registry sets. Now, if it only didn't take me all day to do it... lol

Maybe it should change its focus.

There have been many good suggestions, both from inside and outside the organization. Do you know if any of those suggestions are being considered or pursued?

Expanding the focus of the organization is one topic that has been actively discussed by the NOD membership on our message boards. Lots of different ideas out there, but tough getting consensus and moving forward. I feel that the organization should expand from a niche role into a wider role of education, with "disclosure" being just one pillar on which the organization rests. I also feel a name change is in order to more accurately reflect that wider mission. Not everyone agrees.

We've also been working on getting our not-for-profit status finalized. Once that is completed it will open the door for some of our other initiatives.

Oh yeah?

BuZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ off!

Quit napping and get an approval on my application! :sumo:

Well, l get a new scanner and spend most of the day adding pics to my registry sets and look what happens!

Ok Richard, I just gotta know, who'd you put down for your two references?

:popcorn:

Mark Zaid and Brad Hamann! They seem to want me the most.

Well, how about that! You and I have now have one more thing in common. Those were my two sponsors as well. (thumbs u

Expanding the focus of the organization is one topic that has been actively discussed by the NOD membership on our message boards. Lots of different ideas out there, but tough getting consensus and moving forward. I feel that the organization should expand from a niche role into a wider role of education, with "disclosure" being just one pillar on which the organization rests. I also feel a name change is in order to more accurately reflect that wider mission. Not everyone agrees.

Maybe we can start a radical fringe group within the organization, throw out the old guard, and take the first steps toward world comic domination! BWAAHAAHAA!

Oh yeah?

Well, l get a new scanner and spend most of the day adding pics to my registry sets and look what happens!

Well, how about that! You and I have now have one more thing in common. Those were my two sponsors as well. (thumbs u

Two lovely men! (them, not us)

But you already have a problem with the things I say.

Can you imagine if a member were to say the same things?

Apparently, your ideas magically become valid once you fork over the membership dues.

I (the collector) just sent in my application...

Let's see if I get accepted. :wishluck:

I am gone for four and a half hours and Richard loses his freakin' mind.

confused0053.gif

Apparently, your ideas magically become valid once you fork over the membership dues.

confused0053.gif

Actually, Hell is beginning to freeze over... :devil:

confused0053.gif

Actually, Hell is beginning to freeze over... :devil:

I think I'm going to go press some books to see if I can finish it off. :kidaround:

Sheesh, Brad. It's just a few posts ago. I define the hobby in this context as those who collect platinum/gold/silver/bronze age, or those books most likely to fall into the possibly pressed category.

Okay, and how have those people (most of whom still do not have a clear picture of what is going on) decided anything? Where is the mainstream article in the collecting press that covered the issues? Where is the high profile seller who will append the information to his auctions that some of his books have been pressed?

Amazing how you've digested the facts and come up with your final solution.

"The hobby has decided!"

The hobby, for the most part, doesn't have a clue. And in every poll on these boards, among folks that have more of a clue....there is a clear majority who want it disclosed and a nice big fact chunk of collectors who have real concerns about it being a form of restoration. You're just choosing to ignore the facts and attempting to sweep the whole thing under the carpet.

That's not going to happen.

and if you Google "comic book restoration", the first site that comes up is Matt Nelson's, and the first service listed on his homepage is pressing.

As it should.....

Come on, Bill. Out of my entire post, that's the only phrase you choose to quote and respond to?

Well, it was the most succinct and telling phrase. It strikes at the very heart of the matter and I'm glad you posted it.

How we (the collective we) choose to deal with it is a completely separate matter, and one I would welcome discussion on.

Once we past the obvious (pressing = restoration) then we can have substantive discussion on how to address its place in the hobby. You may find we have much more agreement there. However, we can never seem to get to that stage.

Well, if we haven't reached that point, why not examine what NOD could be doing to get there? That's the part of my post that you chose to ignore. Here it is again...

And if you really believe the word hasn't got out, why isn't NOD doing a better job of making that happen? Why isn't it setting up at shows? Why isn't it at least handing out flyers at shows? Who's wearing the "ask the question" T-shirts?

Not sure what "word" we are talking about. Do I need to tell the world what a light is? Or the sun? Moon? Nope.

Some things are very obvious. If I set up at a show and pressed books, I think that would seal the deal.

In all seriousness, we are actively discussing setting up at shows and at least two of our members will be handing out NOD literature at this years show circuit.

Cost is one factor, we are non-profit and booths at shows are very expensive. If some of the promoters would either discount a table or comp one, it would expedite it happening. But, nonetheless it is on the docket for first quarter.

Oh yeah?

:sorry:

Brad,

Here's the deal, as honestly as I can put it.

I am Richard Evans - comic collector.

I am also Richard Evans - owner of Bedrock City Comic Co.

The collector would join in a heartbeat. I will join today.

BUT, the store owner, who has been in business a long time, cannot see what NOD has to offer. One of the questions I asked at the San Diego panel was "why should an established dealer join NOD? What does NOD have to offer?" The answer basically was "if a dealer doesn't disclose, then eventually NOD will have enough converts to make that dealer an outcast in the hobby." So Bedrock City discloses. So again I ask, "What does NOD have to offer?"

Now, unlike NOD members, whose words shouldn't be taken as representing NOD, if Richard the collector joined NOD now, and decided to speak out against something he didn't agree with, then everyone would assume that Bedrock City was anti-NOD. Kinda like they do already.

If you want me to join I will. But you already have a problem with the things I say.

Richard:

I've seen you ask this question more than once and I didn't have an answer until now. If I join most volunteer organizations, I'm not doing so for what I get out of it in a direct sense. Instead, I join based on whether I believe in the goal of the organization. You should join because you're doing something good for the comic community, working to educate the community about restoration/enhancement and the corresponding disclosure.

Exceedingly well said sir.

A person should join an organization to see how they can help promote, shape, positively impact, etc the organization and its mission. Not the other way around.

Brad,

BUT, the store owner, who has been in business a long time, cannot see what NOD has to offer. One of the questions I asked at the San Diego panel was "why should an established dealer join NOD? What does NOD have to offer?" The answer basically was "if a dealer doesn't disclose, then eventually NOD will have enough converts to make that dealer an outcast in the hobby." So Bedrock City discloses. So again I ask, "What does NOD have to offer?"

Now, unlike NOD members, whose words shouldn't be taken as representing NOD, if Richard the collector joined NOD now, and decided to speak out against something he didn't agree with, then everyone would assume that Bedrock City was anti-NOD. Kinda like they do already.

If you want me to join I will. But you already have a problem with the things I say.

Richard:

I've seen you ask this question more than once and I didn't have an answer until now. If I join most volunteer organizations, I'm not doing so for what I get out of it in a direct sense. Instead, I join based on whether I believe in the goal of the organization. You should join because you're doing something good for the comic community, working to educate the community about restoration/enhancement and the corresponding disclosure.

Again, I totally agree with you.

But NOD is looking for dealers to join to help them gain some legitimacy.

If Bedrock City were to join, it would have to be a business decision on some level.

I just applied, but not in conjunction with Bedrock City.

Hopefully that will eliminate any conflict on my part.

I agree to the terms of the organization, but I don't have to speak for Bedrock City as I do it.

Much the same as you and others don't necessarily speak for NOD when you post here.

But we don't own NOD. You own, and in fact basically "are" Bedrock City. Not sure you can separate the two.

If you were just an employee of Bedrock, then that would make the distinction you mention above.

Brad,

Richard:

If Bedrock City were to join, it would have to be a business decision on some level.

I agree to the terms of the organization, but I don't have to speak for Bedrock City as I do it.

Much the same as you and others don't necessarily speak for NOD when you post here.

But we don't own NOD. You own, and in fact basically "are" Bedrock City. Not sure you can separate the two.

If you were just an employee of Bedrock, then that would make the distinction you mention above.

In fact, Bill, I am an employee. Bedrock City Inc., as a corporation, writes me a paycheck. One of my jobs is to be the face of the business, a spokesman, ambassador, whatever you want to call it.

So you see, I can separate the two.

Brad,

Richard:

In fact, Bill, I am an employee. Bedrock City Inc., as a corporation, writes me a paycheck. One of my jobs is to be the face of the business, a spokesman, ambassador, whatever you want to call it.

I would like you all to join. (face of the business, a spokesman, ambassador, and collector)

:wishluck:

Brad,

Richard:

I would like you all to join. (face of the business, a spokesman, ambassador, and collector)

:wishluck:

Thanks, Bill. Let's just try the collector for now. :foryou:

Sheesh, Brad. It's just a few posts ago. I define the hobby in this context as those who collect platinum/gold/silver/bronze age, or those books most likely to fall into the possibly pressed category.

Okay, and how have those people (most of whom still do not have a clear picture of what is going on) decided anything? Where is the mainstream article in the collecting press that covered the issues? Where is the high profile seller who will append the information to his auctions that some of his books have been pressed?

Amazing how you've digested the facts and come up with your final solution.

"The hobby has decided!"

The hobby, for the most part, doesn't have a clue. And in every poll on these boards, among folks that have more of a clue....there is a clear majority who want it disclosed and a nice big fact chunk of collectors who have real concerns about it being a form of restoration. You're just choosing to ignore the facts and attempting to sweep the whole thing under the carpet.

That's not going to happen.

and if you Google "comic book restoration", the first site that comes up is Matt Nelson's, and the first service listed on his homepage is pressing.

As it should.....

Come on, Bill. Out of my entire post, that's the only phrase you choose to quote and respond to?

Well, it was the most succinct and telling phrase. It strikes at the very heart of the matter and I'm glad you posted it.

How we (the collective we) choose to deal with it is a completely separate matter, and one I would welcome discussion on.

Once we past the obvious (pressing = restoration) then we can have substantive discussion on how to address its place in the hobby. You may find we have much more agreement there. However, we can never seem to get to that stage.

Well, if we haven't reached that point, why not examine what NOD could be doing to get there? That's the part of my post that you chose to ignore. Here it is again...

And if you really believe the word hasn't got out, why isn't NOD doing a better job of making that happen? Why isn't it setting up at shows? Why isn't it at least handing out flyers at shows? Who's wearing the "ask the question" T-shirts?

Not sure what "word" we are talking about. Do I need to tell the world what a light is? Or the sun? Moon? Nope.

Some things are very obvious. If I set up at a show and pressed books, I think that would seal the deal.

In all seriousness, we are actively discussing setting up at shows and at least two of our members will be handing out NOD literature at this years show circuit.

Cost is one factor, we are non-profit and booths at shows are very expensive. If some of the promoters would either discount a table or comp one, it would expedite it happening. But, nonetheless it is on the docket for first quarter.

Now there's the constructive answer I was hoping for this morning, but didn't get. Thanks, Bill. (thumbs u

Now there's the constructive answer I was hoping for this morning, but didn't get. Thanks, Bill. (thumbs u

No problem Jeff. I really think we can move the ball forward, once we get past the major sticking point. Just my opinion of course.

No problem Jeff. I really think we can move the ball forward, once we get past the major sticking point. Just my opinion of course.

It's a pretty huge sticking point. It makes the disclosure controversy look like a minor tiff.

Oh yeah?

Actually Rich....you can't have it both ways. You're known mostly as a dealer. You can't separate dealer Rich from collector Rich. Either we welcome in the whole Rich, both entities... or none. I can't offer my reference to you if you're just pulling a not-too-inspired publicity stunt.

If you can commit to following NOD guidelines in your activities as a dealer, and if you agree to post the NOD logo on Bedrock City web pages and advertisements then I'll happily give you an endorsement. But if you can't meet those criteria, and intend on leaving yourself a loophole for non-disclosure through your business website and ads....then you don't really understand what you're trying to sign up for.

You can talk the talk, but you gotta walk the walk too.

Brad

btw.....here's a link to the Network of Disclosure guidelines that every member must agree to follow. It's as clear as bell:

Network of Disclosure Guidelines

Brad,

This is a point that I had thought about but was reticent to mention. I really hope Richard is not trying to sign and qualify that application in the way that it appears. There doesn't seem to be a distinction between individual collector vs. individual dealer. I know that Bedrock is a corp but it sounds like it's wholly owned. Truthfully, I'm not sure NOD rules allow an individual collector who is part of a multi-person corporation to avoid the disclosure/logo requirements.

The more I think about it, the more it looks like a no-lose situation for Richard. I hope he won't take offense to this but here goes. Richard tries to sign up, evidencing his commitment to working to improve NOD. He qualifies that application and one of two things happens. 1) He is accepted and doesn't have to have Bedrock abide by the logo/disclosure rules. No real biggie as I believe him when he says that pressing will be disclosed by him. OR 2) He is turned down. Now Richard can say, "Well I tried. See how ridiculous this all is."

I'm not part of the process to approve apps but if I was, with the qualifier, I would vote no. The real problem is that you shouldn't get preferential treatment. Other individuals who sell full or part time, myself included, have to display and disclose. All of this said, I don't see any good reason not to join without the qualifier Richard. Come on. :baiting: