• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not an OA guy, but have a question.

26 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone knows who owns, or has sold, the last page of X-Men #111 (1963 series)

This page, by far, is my favorite page in a comic book ever, and I would be willing to pay big bucks to have the OA.

I have no idea what a "splash page" is, or anything about OA, I just know its the last page of X-Men #111, and is a full page drawing of Magneto, saying "You will all feel my wrath" or something to that effect.

Any help/advice, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

p.s.-I really have no idea about OA, what it would sell for, or anything so please forgive me if I sound dumb, lol.

I was wondering if anyone knows who owns, or has sold, the last page of X-Men #111 (1963 series)

This page, by far, is my favorite page in a comic book ever, and I would be willing to pay big bucks to have the OA.

I have no idea what a "splash page" is, or anything about OA, I just know its the last page of X-Men #111, and is a full page drawing of Magneto, saying "You will all feel my wrath" or something to that effect.

Any help/advice, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

p.s.-I really have no idea about OA, what it would sell for, or anything so please forgive me if I sound dumb, lol.

That is a splash page...you are correct.

It is penciled by John Byrne and inked by Terry Austin. This is the premier team for art collectors of the Bronze Age X-men run.

Seeing that good panel pages are $5500-8500 I don't think there is anyway you would escape paying less than $10k for this one and I believe, if it was for sale, the asking price would be far higher.

I have seen single character splashes sell before and it really depends on the character involved. A few years ago the 2 page splash from X-men 137 featuring all the X-men from the death of Phoenix issue sold at auction for $55k...it would be much more now. I was offered perhaps the nicest 2 page splash with a giant Wolverine image for nearly double that amount.

A single character single page splash with just Colossus traded hands well above $10k several years ago. At this point it's probably a $15-17k piece.

I could imagine the owner of the piece you are chasing asking $20k....what it's "worth" will be determined by whomever consents to buy it.

Chris

Yep. You've got good taste.

One thing you might consider is getting a recreation done. Would be alot cheaper. Bob Layton does great recreations for fairly cheap (I think his rate is $400). Or, you could always look for another artist to do it in the Byrne/Austin style.

Yep. You've got good taste.

One thing you might consider is getting a recreation done. Would be alot cheaper. Bob Layton does great recreations for fairly cheap (I think his rate is $400). Or, you could always look for another artist to do it in the Byrne/Austin style.

Thanks for the info, how would I get in touch with Mr. Layton?

The funny thing about this page is, I used to have a complete run of X-Men, and I never read my #111. I am a huge Magneto fan, and read #104, 112, and 113 religiously, but never thought to check the end of #111.

Long story short, I just bought some bronze stuff, and picked up a reader copy of #111, read the book, and came to this page and said "wow", this by far is the best page IMO I have ever seen in a comic.

Anyways, thanks again for the information, any contact info would be greatly appreciated!

Wow. Sweet Stuff Dr.Strange.

You could also look at getting the color guide of the page, costs 15-30 bucks, to go along with your recreation and frame them together with the page cut out of a low grade copy of the book. Looks real nice.