• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian Phantom Lady #13 ?????

7 posts in this topic

Does anybody know anything about this book?

Ihttp://members.empowering.com/garyjo/myst_adv_15.jpg

It's titled Mystery-Adventure Thrillers! No. 15 on the cover, but the indicia doesn't list a title or date. The publisher is listed as Bell Features in Toronto, Ontario. The insides appear to match up with the contents of Phantom Lady #13 based on the GCD entries. The cover is a reprint of the splash page from the Blue Beetle story in the comic. Similar to the Star reprints of the Fox books in the early 1950's the first story page (that was originally on the inside front cover) has been replaced with an ad.

The weird thing is, if one looks up entry 402-5 in Gerber, there is pictured a copy of Colossal Comics No. 5 which has a second (larger) logo which is the same as my Mystery Adventure Thrillers. Under the picture, Gerber indicates it is Canadian. Oddly, while it is pictured, there is in the text, and the 402 series is completely omitted. For those of you that don't have a copy of the Gerber books, the copy in Gerber has the same cover as Namora #1.

Now Namora #1 is from 1948 and Phantom Lady #13 is from 1947. However, I suspect that both of these Canadian comics are from the early 1950's.

So if the copy in Gerber is #5 and my copy is #15, were there any other issues?

And are there any good articles on the Canadian comic book industry in the 1950's?

Gary J.

ECFANMAN

Thanks for pointing me to those sites. From reading one of the articles linked to the second site, Bell was reprinting US comics in 1947 and 1948. Maybe the two books I mentioned came out around the time of the US editions. However, Namora #1 came out before Phantom Lady #13. So, I wonder if my Mystery-Adventure Thrillers No. 15 came out before the Colossal Comics No. 5 (Subtitled Mystery-Adventure Thrillers)?

You know, I just noticed that the one in Gerber has a 25 cent cover tital. I wonder if Collosal Comics was a series of rebound books, sort of like the Fox Giants?

Maybe the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fit together.

Anyone have copies of any other issues?

Gary J.

ECFANMAN

Keep in mind that that site is not at all 100% accurate.

I've found a couple of irregularities in regard to the article. Here is a copy of the email the author returned to me:

David:

Thanks for your query regarding Super Comics. Given our space limitations on the website, it was not possible to explore all the mysteries surrounding Golden Age publishing in Canada. There are still a number of 1940s comics that require more research. These would include:

- Super Comics

- Captain America (rare wartime Canadian annual, apparently comprising reprints)

- Comiques Bravo (only French-language "white")

As you probably know, the six known issues of Super Comics are discussed on the following website:

http://www.geocities.com/lancelotstrong/canada.html

Some questions still remain about these comics:

1. Were Citren News and F. E. Howard separate publishers?

2. Were these issues completely redrawn or did they include straight reprint material?

As you may know, Howard also published early digest paperbacks. Among their other comics were the following titles:

Captain Commando and the Boy Soldiers (redrawn stories, apparently collected from Super Comics)

Carousel Comics

Circus Parade Comics

Dizzy Don

Super Duper Comics

Several copies of Super Comics have sold on eBay during the past few years.

I hope that this information is useful to you.

Cheers,

John