• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you still collect comics if. . .

31 posts in this topic

I probably wouldn't. I don't collect to make money. Nor do I expect anything I buy today to be worth any more in 30 years than it is today. But if I knew they would be completely worthless in a few years.....no I wouldn't be paying 40, 50, 60, over a hundred bucks for a single book. That would be foolish.

Allow me to answer this in a round about way.

If selling my collection now meant buying a better car or a new sofa I wouldn't. Those things will dissolve soon and be worthless. My comics, on the other hand will be dear to me until I die.

If selling them now could buy my son a year or two at a good school I would do it in a minute.

The comics I read as a kid changed my life and made me what I am today, for whatever that is worth. It is hard to put a dollar value on that. They are the most important material possession I have except for my house, which I have laboured over like a work of art.

It's kind of refreshing to hear so many die-hard collectors voicing their points of view. I knew that "collectors" were concentrated on the boards but you would think that CGC would attract people who want to encapsulate their comics to lock in a grade for ease in selling at maximum prices. But it looks like either collectors have been drawn to these boards or CGC users tend to be collectors locking in a treasure. I'm sure its a mix of the two but its great to hear a different point of view (one that I would have expressed as a 15 year old boy and have strangely lost).

I would still collect, as I enjoy reading them, and they are one of the few good memories of childhood that I have. At least the SA/BA's. I only buy the moderns to try to keep current with the series. I don't even read them , except to read the TPBs at Hastings or Barnes & Noble

I might be more interested in buying TP or reprints rather then dropping major coin on a key issue or key 1st app. I buy for the love of the stories and art work but I still feel I am better off buying a first print rahter then a reprint, that would probably change on high end books if I knew they would all be worthless.

I probably wouldn't. I don't collect to make money. Nor do I expect anything I buy today to be worth any more in 30 years than it is today. But if I knew they would be completely worthless in a few years.....no I wouldn't be paying 40, 50, 60, over a hundred bucks for a single book. That would be foolish.

(thumbs u

For those of you who claim you'd still be buying high grade books for multiples of guide, knowing they'd be totally worthless in a few years, I think you're fooling yourselves.

I don't buy for profit and I spend money that I don't expect to ever need back. But if you spent time, effort and money putting together a collection that suddenly becomes readily available for 10 cents on the dollar, it would pi$$ you off. I wouldn't have the stomach to lay out 25K+ for an ASM #1 in 9.0 if I knew for a fact that it would be completely worthless, and I suspect none of you would either. I'd just buy a low grade copy to fill the run and use the rest of the money for a car/renovations/vacations, etc...If I'm going to pisss money away, I might as well get some utility out of it. It isn't about the "love of the hobby", it's about not being a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

EDIT: that last word is more-on. I didn't realize that was a naughty word.

I collect to read, so I would still buy the books I wanted/needed to read. One of the reasons I don't collect Silver Age Marvel is that I have all the Masterworks - so the stories are right there waiting for me!

As for the books I spend real money on? I'd still buy them even if they would be worthless - which is why they will never be worthless! My Golden Age and key collection is really all about having books that mean something more to me than the money I spent to get them.

I rarely sell any books, so future value is not a consideration.

What I wouldn't do is look for deals to flip on eBay (because there would be no value, right?)

I'm not sure how to answer this. I'm probably going to drop about $2k on a comic before the end of the year, and, knowing that it would be worthless six months later, I wouldn't do it. But, if there was a slow decline in the market, and 10 years from now, it is worthless, I'm making the purchase. I love my comics.