• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.20.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

282 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

76 posts in this topic

As I often do, I feel compelled to mention that residual honors should go to Joe Sinnott for making Kirby look better than he ever looked, with his supportive and outstanding inking of the King's pencils in the mid to late sixties. The vast difference in how Jack's work looked while teamed with various inkers is still striking.

I think Kirby upped his game, his attention to detail and his page layout, when he saw how good Sinnott made his work look. Think of Kirby as the dominant center being fed the ball by Sinnott - the feisty point guard, and slamming it home.

Sporty Red

Red on Round Ball! (thumbs u

let's face it: Adams owns BA. But who are the best supporting acts? Now that'll be interesting to me!

I think there were quite a few good artists in the BA. Off the top of my head, I think the rest of the Top 5 would be (in no particular order):

Wrightson

Windsor-Smith (or just plain Smith as he was known back then)

Byrne

toss-up between Steranko and Starlin

Other notables:

Brunner

Ploog

Buscema (yes, I'm actually saying something nice about John Buscema)

Grell

Swan

Gulacy

Cockrum

Buckler

Kubert

Romita Sr

Kane (mostly for his covers)

Kirby (I think his writing on the 4th World books sucked the big one, but his art in many of the issues was excellent)

You said something nice about Big John but he's a mere 7th on your list. :P That said, I felt the Bronze Age is the point (especially after a dozen issues of Conan) that he stagnated as an artist.

And you left Mike Kaluta, Jeff Jones and Walt Simonson off your list (all contenders), whilst Steranko did how many pages of work in the BA?

Simonson has to be up there because of his hugely influential (on Frank Miller, at least) Manhunter series. Anyway, the top two will obviously be Adams and Wrightson.....

let's face it: Adams owns BA. But who are the best supporting acts? Now that'll be interesting to me!

I think there were quite a few good artists in the BA. Off the top of my head, I think the rest of the Top 5 would be (in no particular order):

Wrightson

Byrne

Other notables:

Brunner

Ploog

Grell

Swan

Gulacy

Cockrum

Buckler

Kubert

Romita Sr

Kirby (I think his writing on the 4th World books sucked the big one, but his art in many of the issues was excellent)

You said something nice about Big John but he's a mere 7th on your list. :P That said, I felt the Bronze Age is the point (especially after a dozen issues of Conan) that he stagnated as an artist.

And you left Mike Kaluta, Jeff Jones and Walt Simonson off your list (all contenders), whilst Steranko did how many pages of work in the BA?

Simonson has to be up there because of his hugely influential (on Frank Miller, at least) Manhunter series. Anyway, the top two will obviously be Adams and Wrightson.....

Jeff Jones (thumbs u

Steranko did a few covers (emphasis on "few"). I don't even think he'd qualify to be on the list.

Here's a few more:

Jim Aparo

Alex Nino

Marshall Rogers

Nestor Redondo

George Perez

Johnny Romita Jr

Terry Austin

Bob Layton

Rich Corben

Gray Morrow

Michael Nasser

You said something nice about Big John but he's a mere 7th on your list. :P

I said "in no particular order"! :makepoint:

That said, I felt the Bronze Age is the point (especially after a dozen issues of Conan) that he stagnated as an artist.

As you know, I`m not a particularly big Buscema fan, but the fact is that for better or worse he was the Marvel "house" style for the BA in the same way that Kirby was the house style for SA. So he deserves some accolades for that. Anyways, he`s got such a huge following here that I`m sure he`ll do very well in a BA contest.

And you left Mike Kaluta, Jeff Jones and Walt Simonson off your list (all contenders),

Kaluta definitely an oversight on my part. How many comics did Jeff Jones even do during the BA? I have to admit I`ve never been a fan of Simonson`s art or writing, and never understood what the big deal was about his Manhunter or Thor run. (shrug)

whilst Steranko did how many pages of work in the BA?

For some reason I thought his Cap run was early BA, but I was wrong. Okay, so Starlin gets 5th place and Steranko doesn`t even make the BA field.

As I often do, I feel compelled to mention that residual honors should go to Joe Sinnott for making Kirby look better than he ever looked, with his supportive and outstanding inking of the King's pencils in the mid to late sixties. The vast difference in how Jack's work looked while teamed with various inkers is still striking.

I think Kirby upped his game, his attention to detail and his page layout, when he saw how good Sinnott made his work look. Think of Kirby as the dominant center being fed the ball by Sinnott - the feisty point guard, and slamming it home.

Sporty Red

Good call, Brad. Kirby/Sinnott is definitely what I think of when I think "Kirby".

I agree - well put!

Wrightson

Byrne

Other notables:

Brunner

Ploog

Grell

Swan

Gulacy

Cockrum

Buckler

Kubert

Romita Sr

Definitely keep Buckler in there, and might as well add Chan/Chua. I don't know squan-to about most Bronze Age artists, and it will be great to have some to vote down with confidence. Apologies to Grell fans, but he won't be far behind. And as much as I wailed and gnashed my teeth about Swan in the Silver Age, I can't defend most of his Bronze work.

Is Oksner on the Bronze list? He probably should be for all those classic crotch-centric covers.

Some of these names like Gulacy are a cipher to me. I hope Bronze Age fans post samples liberally.

Jack

And as much as I wailed and gnashed my teeth about Swan in the Silver Age, I can't defend most of his Bronze work.

I think Curt Swan in the BA looked remarkably like Curt Swan in the SA. (shrug)

Some of these names like Gulacy are a cipher to me. I hope Bronze Age fans post samples liberally.

I'll wait until the actual contest to post some samples, but Gulacy is easy to describe. When someone in the SA contest asked what artists Steranko influenced, Steranko Disciple #1 was definitely Paul Gulacy. His work on Master of Kung-Fu in the mid-70s was like no other artist at the time.

You said something nice about Big John but he's a mere 7th on your list. :P

I said "in no particular order"! :makepoint:

That said, I felt the Bronze Age is the point (especially after a dozen issues of Conan) that he stagnated as an artist.

As you know, I`m not a particularly big Buscema fan, but the fact is that for better or worse he was the Marvel "house" style for the BA in the same way that Kirby was the house style for SA. So he deserves some accolades for that. Anyways, he`s got such a huge following here that I`m sure he`ll do very well in a BA contest.

And you left Mike Kaluta, Jeff Jones and Walt Simonson off your list (all contenders),

Kaluta definitely an oversight on my part. How many comics did Jeff Jones even do during the BA? I have to admit I`ve never been a fan of Simonson`s art or writing, and never understood what the big deal was about his Manhunter or Thor run. (shrug)

whilst Steranko did how many pages of work in the BA?

For some reason I thought his Cap run was early BA, but I was wrong. Okay, so Starlin gets 5th place and Steranko doesn`t even make the BA field.

Jeff Jones didn't do a lot of work in the BA but what he did was up there with the best of the Ingels/Frazetta influenced crowd.

And Starlin is a favorite in the writer/artist department for this era, but won't win.

If someone decides to do this again, the poll should omit Kirby and Ditko because we all know that those two are almost always going to end up duking it out. Kind of anti-climactic don't you think?

Did anyone really doubt that Kirby would win?

For me if you start ommitting the best what is the point.

I agree. So what is there's a lot of competition for third to fifth place? The absence of the "obvious" winners could affect the outcome of those races.

JPS