• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

long box inventory

28 posts in this topic

Anyone that is selling comics "by the longbox" might as well be selling them "by the pound". It's pretty obvious that if a single book or a run is not worth listing, then it's strictly 25¢ bin fodder. Add to this the fact that bidders/buyers don't know the contents of the box, and you can knock this down to 10¢ a piece. So, that works out to about $30 for a longbox.

One last problem is shipping --- even media mail is going to cost, what, about $15 to ship?

For anything over 15 pounds (Which is the limit for Bound Printed Matter), I've found that it's cheaper to just use FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery.

I just sent a 20lb box for $10.00 via FedEx Ground. That's also what we use to send cases of wine which are around 35 pounds each.

Cases of wine??? hm

lol I just envisioned sckao standing in his bathtub squishing grapes between his toes.....

well, i'll tell you the way collectible planet does it. he goes around to certain dealers at one day shows and buys in bulk for around 10 or so cents per book, and buys six or so longboxes' worth. he doesn't care what's in the box necessarily from what i've witnessed. 99.9% of what he buys isn't worth much more than the price he's paying for it.

there's no easy way to find quantity of SA books unless you have a lot - and i mean a LOT - of connections. and time. and luck.

and there sure as hell isn't going to be any dealer who is going to tell you where you can find good stuff. it would be dumb to just announce where SA inventory comes from. they might as well give you the password to their eBay accounts

How much would a dealer ask for my inventory? The books in my trooper thread?

sold by you, or through a third party? do the books have a slight cheese odour? all these sort of questions affect final value

At a midsized show I did in the early '90's, I bought a washing machine

box packed full from a young man for $40. He had the box balanced on

a skateboard, and was annoyingly pushing it around the show trying

to sell it all at one time. On top was Marvel Age, Archies, etc, lots of

B and C titles. I was selling long boxes to other dealers for $35. If

memory serves, I filled 8 long boxes, and the Amazing and Spectacular

Spiderman was at the bottom of the box, along with 5 or 6 Iron Man #55.

I buy longboxes in my store for around 25 or 30 dollars depending on content. The majority of the time its 90's stuff (silver surfer 50, ghost rider with glow in dark cover) that people were speculating on. One recent acquisition resulted in a box and upon closer inspection it had a Supes 300, Batman a Killing joke first print (which I sold for about $30 on ebay) and some TMNT and assorted other stuff. The rest of it was stock filler which may not move.

I have sold on here, 100 moderns for $25 shipped prioirty mail. this is overstock stuff and sometimes some really good books are in it...I just have too many. I wouldn't call these as I paid more than .25 each for them (most are 2.99 or 3.99 covers). So it just depends on what you want and what you want to do with what you are buying. Best thing is to read the books.