• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Is Buying His Stuff?

37 posts in this topic

I know...another Chuck post... :devil:

But just for grins, I just perused his "New in Stock" offerings and the prices are even more obscenely high than before...even after discount. It's filled with quarter/dollar box fodder for anywhere from $3-10 (and sometimes more). Who's paying these prices? It surely can't be anyone who's been in the hobby for even a limited amount of time...and the dollar isn't that good overseas... doh!

In this era of eBay and the Internet, I'm amazed people are gullible enough to spend these types of prices for common as dirt comics... :insane:

Jim

I know...another Chuck post... :devil:

But just for grins, I just perused his "New in Stock" offerings and the prices are even more obscenely high than before...even after discount. It's filled with quarter/dollar box fodder for anywhere from $3-10 (and sometimes more). Who's paying these prices? It surely can't be anyone who's been in the hobby for even a limited amount of time...and the dollar isn't that good overseas... doh!

In this era of eBay and the Internet, I'm amazed people are gullible enough to spend these types of prices for common as dirt comics... :insane:

Jim

I can't answer your question, Jim, but I do know it looked like he was buying like a madman at Mid-Ohio. He's got to put it all somewhere. (shrug)

--Sean

I think when the uninitiated see 50-80% off sales, they think they're getting a great deal. You'll always get someone to bite on those sales. You just need to get enough to cover your overhead & possibly make a profit.

When I got back into the hobby about 2 years ago after a 15 year absence I bought quite a few books from Chuck. Those "50-80%" sales suckered me in. Once I started going to conventions and reading these boards I quickly realized that Mile High wasn't the best deal and definitely not an accurate grader.

I have found a few good deals (I picked up 20 Marvel Team-up 141s for 50 cents each and some Walking Dead issues at 1/2 cover) but you definitely have to do some looking to find them. I also picked up some very nice Twisted Tales, Alien Encounters and oddball copper age books at $1 each. I do use the website as a reference tool sometimes. So Mile High does have its advantages and, for some reason, I still read all of Chuck's "sickness, farming, and codeword" emails. I'm not sure why.

When I logged onto his site for the very first time, I was astounded by his prices for ANY of the books he has for sale. I think for one of them, I saw an AF #15 graded as GD for around $6k, which already included the discount!?!?! I was surprised and I had to blink twice for me to see the price..

For anyone who has just gotten into the hobby, please do your homework and do some research before making a purchase just like any other things you buy.

I've bought a time or two from Chuck, most recently a couple issues of Comics Revue to finish off a Modesty Blaise story I desperately wanted to read. I've also sold to him, and at present am a couple hundred bucks ahead on the ledger, so I don't begrudge him a nice profit if he has the stuff I want.

When I got back into the hobby about 2 years ago after a 15 year absence I bought quite a few books from Chuck. Those "50-80%" sales suckered me in. Once I started going to conventions and reading these boards I quickly realized that Mile High wasn't the best deal and definitely not an accurate grader.

No doubt...and 15 years ago you could still get good deals from him. But jeez louise...his prices, already high, have skyrocketed further. Any person, even a newbie, can go on eBay and see multiples of some $5 (w/discount) issues languish untouched for $.99 opening bids. It's not rocket science... :frustrated:

Jim

This thread reminds me . . . the other day I searched "loser" in google images. This pic was on the 1st page of results:

loser.jpg

(No offense meant, but you've gotta admit this is kinda funny).

Back on topic, though, I travel to Denver and Vegas every August on business. My first trip out there, I was very excited to visit the main Mile High store in Denver. But, what a disappointment. Over-priced "wall books" behind glass, and drawers full of back issues that had been bent all to hell from poor storage and rummaging. Not worth the drive across town, really. :screwy:

Maybe they were sent directly from Marvel Comic's website? Wonder how they got that exclusive? hm

From Marvel's Help Menu:

How can I order back issues of certain titles?

Marvel does not offer back issues. Please contact the following firm regarding back issues of Marvel Comics: Mile High Comics

Ah, just a reference from a small funny book publisher--no big deal...

This thread reminds me . . . the other day I searched "loser" in google images. This pic was on the 1st page of results:

loser.jpg

(No offense meant, but you've gotta admit this is kinda funny).

Back on topic, though, I travel to Denver and Vegas every August on business. My first trip out there, I was very excited to visit the main Mile High store in Denver. But, what a disappointment. Over-priced "wall books" behind glass, and drawers full of back issues that had been bent all to hell from poor storage and rummaging. Not worth the drive across town, really. :screwy:

That isn't him, is it?

Nope,not chuckles.

Chuck is the bearded guy on their site, correct?

The one with that "I found the church collection, and am rich, so now I am going to buy every comic book, and charge 40-50X guide for them" smile on his face.

chuckdance.gif

I would say it's collectors who don't like doing legwork like most on here do. I think most of us on these boards like secondary channels, bidding on ebay, going to conventions etc. Mile High is marketed for those who don't hunt.

Good point, and might be at the root of my shotgun approach to collecting.

Always liked high grade, so usually bought whatever I could find that was high grade that met my budget. When I couldn't find titles I collected, yet had money to spend, I would add something else that was high grade and cheap.

I don't really collect Sgt Fury, but...., today....., I bought a nice, high grade #8 from GACollectibles, because it was cheap, white and in high grade :banana:

I guess I would rather buy a cheap, HG copy of something I don't normally collect, than fill a hole for at guide, or above, in a series I'm actively seeking.

However, there are some run completing exceptions - like buying CGC copies of Astonishing Tales 12 or Hulk 158 - books that are impossible to find through normal channels.

Still looking for a Thor 210 in anything approaching NM....., :sorry: