• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007/2008 Grading Contest : ROUND 2

157 posts in this topic

Grades were as follows

7.0 - 1

7.5 - 1

8.0 - 7

8.5 - 18

9.0 - 39

9.2 - 46

9.4 - 19

9.6 - 4

9.8 - 1

and CGC says

amazingspider-man124053.jpg

Can someone please tell me what the grade was?

Also, how does the scoring work? I guessed 9.4, how many points should that give me?

It was 9.0

and I think it is 5 points for being bang on, 3 for being one grade off, 1 for being two grades off... -1 for 3 grades off... etc

if im wrong I'm sure someone will be kind enough to point that out.

I guessed 9.4, how many points should that give me?

So, you saw that Heritage 9.4 with the corner crease, too? :tonofbricks:

No, I used to take my time researching for these contests, but I ended up way over thinking my grades. Now I spend about 15 seconds looking at each scan and send in my grade. It's worked well for me when submitting books to CGC so I figure that on average it'll work well for these contests.

Yep, I don't think you can use Overstreet's grading definitions to determine CGC's grade for a book. There's a lot of overlap, but (confusingly enough) they're not the same.

Also, Nik's scans are huge, so you have to adjust for that a bit when judging the defects (the corner crease is actually pretty tiny).

Onward... (thumbs u

Me too...I'm the guy who gave it a 7.0. I was going through my OS grading guide and the first grade to allow a crease that size was 7.0. Darn the luck...

Good luck with the next 17 rounds (thumbs u

Yep, I don't think you can use Overstreet's grading definitions to determine CGC's grade for a book. There's a lot of overlap, but (confusingly enough) they're not the same.

Also, Nik's scans are huge, so you have to adjust for that a bit when judging the defects (the corner crease is actually pretty tiny).

Onward... (thumbs u

Some very good points. Now, hopefully, I can go about recovering from that nasty score of -3 in round 2 :)

Ok guys, since you all suck, I'm going to clue you in:

ROUND 2: 9.0 :sumo:

:gossip: 3 spine ticks, a tiny rub, and a 3/8" crease to the LRFC

There you have it. :grin:

I know divad is a good grader...or should I say a grader who grades well...anyway, can a smug grader get any smugger? Is smugger even a word? lol

I know divad is a good grader...or should I say a grader who grades well...anyway, can a smug grader get any smugger? Is smugger even a word? lol

No, but Bugger is! :baiting:lol

Watch out for smuggers. You don't want to get smugged.

I always get messed up with those creases.

Me too...I'm the guy who gave it a 7.0. I was going through my OS grading guide and the first grade to allow a crease that size was 7.0. Darn the luck...

:o

I always get messed up with those creases.

:o

Okay, I have to come clean...I was the 7.5. At least I learned a key lesson, namely that Overstreet and CGC don't use the same system. I also thought creases were killers.

The good news is I've got many books that are high grade except for miniscule corner creases!