• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pictoral Study of Blue Label books with noted "resto"

63 posts in this topic

OK, so how about a thread on the topic.

A little OT story to start: My language studies in the original biblical tongues led me into a form study that allowed me to understand the meaning of an ancient word by it's usage. By this, I mean that if you could find multiple sentences where a given word was used, you could with fair certainty ascertain it's meaning based in it's context. Believe it or not, this allowed more insight into understanding the mindset and meaning of the ancient writer than any other means possible. You see, the original writer was versed in the vocabulary he used at the time. We are not. As modern scholars, we would simply guess or assume the evolution of a 2000 or 4000 year old word. This lead to much conflict as everyone will come to a different conclusion over the use of the word in queston. Hence diversity of belief. fast foward past the Platinum era... :baiting:

Using this technique, we should be able to uncover CGC's rationale for placing books in blue label (BL) holders as this is their language and it is up to us to decode the words used to convey their message. If you would all kindly post as many pics as you can of Blue Label books that have some form of "resto" noted (the word resto is in quotes because the book is considered unrestored) we should be able to see some sort of a pattern and get a better understanding of their rationale.

Roy.

A little OT story to start: My language studies in the original biblical tongues led me into a form study that allowed me to understand the meaning of an ancient word by it's usage. By this, I mean that if you could find multiple sentences where a given word was used, you could with fair certainty ascertain it's meaning based in it's context. Believe it or not, this allowed more insight into understanding the mindset and meaning of the ancient writer than any other means possible. You see, the original writer was versed in the vocabulary he used at the time. We are not. As modern scholars, we would simply guess or assume the evolution of a 2000 or 4000 year old word. This lead to much conflict as everyone will come to a different conclusion over the use of the word in queston. Hence diversity of belief. fast foward past the Platinum era... :baiting:

Using this technique, we should be able to uncover CGC's rationale for placing books in blue label (BL) holders as this is their language and it is up to us to decode the words used to convey their message. If you would all kindly post as many pics as you can of Blue Label books that have some form of "resto" noted (the word resto is in quotes because the book is considered unrestored) we should be able to see some sort of a pattern and get a better understanding of their rationale.

Roy.

zzz

Roy.

zzz

Boy, once again you've managed to demonstrate just how little people can come to expect from you by means of what you offer the boards as a whole.

How about next time you think someone's started a thread you find boring, you just move the :censored: on and not be such a horse's rear end?

Roy, I suspect that we will see - provided scans are made available - more evidence for the system we're talking about in the other thread. I.E. books whose appearance is not affected by manipulation garnering blue labels

Sal, I was just going comment on the fact that CC has met my expectations for him once again but was busy answering a pm. Thanks for covering for me.

(thumbs u

I'm looking forward to see what people come up with. Only book I have is my HT #6 CGC 6.5 with two tiny hits of CT. I know that removing these two "bits" of bled through paper would not affect the grade. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner that does slabs right now but the CT is at the top spine and one dot just below that.

Picture120.jpg

Roy.

zzz

Boy, once again you've managed to demonstrate just how little people can come to expect from you by means of what you offer the boards as a whole.

How about next time you think someone's started a thread you find boring, you just move the :censored: on and not be such a horse's rear end?

army1.jpg

Roy.

zzz

army1.jpg

oh go cry to your mommy. Adults are talking here

Sal, I was just going comment on the fact that CC has met my expectations for him once again but was busy answering a pm. Thanks for covering for me.

(thumbs u

I'm looking forward to see what people come up with. Only book I have is my HT #6 CGC 6.5 with two tiny hits of CT. I know that removing these two "bits" of bled through paper would not affect the grade. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner that does slabs right now but the CT is at the top spine and one dot just below that.

*image redacted*

Looking at the top of the book, it seems to confirm - at least in this one example - doesn't it. The "colour touch" has no impact on the overall presentability of the book and in fact doesn't even cover up the flaw.

I think CGC is handling this exactly the right way. Deduct for the flaw when applicable, and note the rationale for the deduction in the notes section where one normally finds the "restoration/manipulation" notes

hm

BTW, that copy WAS a restored CGC 6.5 that had the resto removed. Not sure exactly what was considered resto on it.

Borock told me that the glue was part of the resto. Mark Wilson, who purchased the Rockford collection, told me it is not glue, but actually residue from tape that the owner placed over the staples with the thought it would reinforce them as the years elapsed.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your analysis Roy.

Here is another example:

MoreFun52.jpg

Mark,

I think you picked up a real sweet book there. The colors are just plan incredible. Is there something going on with the back because the front scan looks better than the label grade.

Here is another example:

MoreFun52.jpg

Mark,

I think you picked up a real sweet book there. The colors are just plan incredible. Is there something going on with the back because the front scan looks better than the label grade.

Nope, the back is sweet looking also. I think there is spine deterioration that is difficult to see due to the encasement. Otherwise I really don't know why the book is only a 5.5!!! (shrug) One of the best looking 5.5s I've ever seen though! :banana:

Here is another example:

Mark,

Nope, the back is sweet looking also. I think there is spine deterioration that is difficult to see due to the encasement. Otherwise I really don't know why the book is only a 5.5!!! (shrug) One of the best looking 5.5s I've ever seen though! :banana:

Mark I took the liberty of calling for the grader's notes on this book. The book has the cover detached from staple, and heavy wear on the spine edge, hence the grade. It would seem that the glue does not affect the grade and if it was actually tape that was removed this blue label book certainly deserves it's blue label as the book is presented now.

R.

Here's what I'd like to see:

Examples of books published after 1960 that are in blue holders with any qualifiers such as "small amount of glue" or "very small color touch" etc...

I believe I have seen them. Someone posted a modern book that was in relatively hi grade with a notation on the label. May have been a Hi grade Byrne X men from the bronze/copper age.

R.