• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IMPORTANT POST TO CGC WAS NOT ANSWERED BY THEM

66 posts in this topic

Statement applied and directed to ablue...but if the shoe fits

Yeah Darth you caught me. I pine away late at night wondering why I too can't buy distributor copies of the latest comic fad, and then pre-screen then at CGC for a potential windfall. Why, when with my enhanced senses and immaculate grading skills (not to mention a comic store a few minutes away), it would be so easy. Why, why why?

Hmmmmm, maybe cuz I don't want to? Maybe because just touching a Modern Jemas Collectible might put me in toxic shock? Maybe because the last thing I want is flood more CGC on the market?

Nah, you've got me Sherlock.

my impression of the mile high collection wasn't to preserve the bottom half of the stack because they were more 'important'... they just happened to be there.

No question of that. Church didn't put the most iportnat books at the bottom. He just made stacks of them. I vaguely remember reading years ago that at least in the first few stacks, the books were placed chronologically. This gave the happy coincidence of the very oldest in his collection being at the bottom of the first stack. Can anyone confirm that?

Pov,

Matt Nelson's great article on pedigrees talks a lot about Mile High, and he says in several places that the oldest were on the bottom and the newest (and therefore least pristine) were on top. That rather implies chronological stacking. For example, here's a quote:

This page quality came about by three factors present in their original storage environment: low temperature, low humidity, and considerable absence of oxygen. The first two relate to the climate of Denver, and the fact that the collection was stored in a basement. The third is from significant compression of books on the bottom of the eight-foot stacks. Coincidentally, these books are the oldest, and thus, exhibit the whitest pages of the whole collection.

In another paragraph he describes the 50's books as having many more problems because they were not compressed.

-- Joanna