• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Random Comic Question

12 posts in this topic

In "Seduction Of The Innocent",the author made quite a bit about "bondage covers","headlights" and such. I think the notariaty is what made them so popular.

Such covers were supposed to have corrupted the youth of the day.Wertham figured that 90% of juvenile deliquents read comics,therefore comics caused juvenile deliquency.He somehow overlooked that 90% of Boy Scouts read comics as well.

Why are "bondage" covers often noted on the CGC label? If you can, what is the freakiest example of a bondage cover?

Thanks!

1. Probably because Overstreet noted them in the price guide.

2. What era? For golden age, I'll defer to Flying Donut who I'm sure has several exemplary examples already scanned. For moderns, this is a family board and I don't think those scans would be allowed.

Why are "bondage" covers often noted on the CGC label? If you can, what is the freakiest example of a bondage cover?

Thanks!

1. Probably because Overstreet noted them in the price guide.

2. What era? For golden age, I'll defer to Flying Donut who I'm sure has several exemplary examples already scanned. For moderns, this is a family board and I don't think those scans would be allowed.

Ok it makes sense that CGC would follow Overstreet since they noted "bondage cover" in the price guide, but why would Overstreet note that?

When did it start?

In "Seduction Of The Innocent",the author made quite a bit about "bondage covers","headlights" and such. I think the notariaty is what made them so popular.

Such covers were supposed to have corrupted the youth of the day.Wertham figured that 90% of juvenile deliquents read comics,therefore comics caused juvenile deliquency.He somehow overlooked that 90% of Boy Scouts read comics as well.

still waiting for the headlights notation

Thanks!

If you can get your hands on one of Heritage's quarterly auction catalogues, they usually have quite a few GA examples of bondage covers...in general, they're great to thumb through...see a bunch of books you're probably not that familiar with as well as a chance to drool over tons of books that most of us will never be able to afford...