• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x-cutioner's song part 1 uncanny x-men 294

17 posts in this topic

You will have to take it out of the bag like Shin said. Commonly, these books show a back cover crease from the seam in the polybag and also faint creasing from the card if the book has been stored in a box with any kind of pressure on it from other comics.

Yes, grading in the bag on these books is worthless. That bag can hide a laundry list of defects. If I had a dollar for every one that looked good in the bag and then sucked once it was removed, I could quit my job.
lol

Yes, grading in the bag on these books is worthless. That bag can hide a laundry list of defects. If I had a dollar for every one that looked good in the bag and then sucked once it was removed, I could quit my job.

Thats why i only grade my books in the bags. I have a nm+ collection. :cloud9::headbang:

They have answered your question. It can't be graded correctly while it is in the bag. The bag hides defects. Grades via scans is hard enough. Add that while a book in the bag and it is next to impossible to grade. It's like trying to grade a book without your glasses on. Everything is blurry and easily messed up. Just because a book is still in the bag doesn't mean it cant have defects. The book may have been dropped leading to corner dings. Improper handling leading to spine ticks, etc., etc......

If you really don't want to take it out of the bag, shift the card around in the bag. Then look for an impression in the back cover caused by the edge of the card.

Also, pull the back bag SEAM up a bit to separate the bag from the book and look for a long vertical crease caused by the seam of the bag.

If the book was stored with other books in polybags, the seam from the BOOK in front of your book may cause an indentation to the front of the comic book.

These are all hard to see while the book is inside the bag, but those are some of the common problems associated with finding an X-men #294 in ultra High-Grade. I opened all the comics in that photo I posted and maybe 3 are salvageable with pressing due to the lightness of the indent.

Note that I did not even touch on regular defects like corner blunting or spine stresses.

I don't quite understand how if it's still in the original bag, how would it have any defects?

The bag will protect a book from some types of damage, like cover wear, but it can also cause some types of damage, like the creasing pictured in the post above. The bag will not protect from spine stress, or corner dings, or any other type of flaws associated with mishandling a comic.

The bag itself can hide some defects, like faint creases or noncolorbreaking spine stress so a book cannot be accurately graded in a bag, even in person, let alone from a picture. Also, I didn't mention it before because you are a new poster but your pictures do not show the whole book, which also makes grading this book impossible.

The book is fairly common and not particularly valuable so use this opportunity to learn about grading a bit. Go ahead and carefully remove it from the bag and look for some of the defects that we have mentioned. (thumbs u