• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone have this scanner?

62 posts in this topic

Just got one. Will let you know this evening.

BTW... Great thread topic. This never comes up for discussion.

There's an inherent difference between a "which scanner should i get for slabs" thread and a "I already looked around and found a scanner that looks good and just want to find out if anyone has experience with this exact scanner" thread ;)

There's an inherent difference between a "which scanner should i get for slabs" thread and a "I already looked around and found a scanner that looks good and just want to find out if anyone has experience with this exact scanner" thread ;)

You say potato and I say potahto. :baiting:

At least I can spell "potato" right then :banana:

It's phonetics you twit. :makepoint:

:jokealert: you twit. :makepoint: Let me know how that scanner works...I've got some newegg gift cards to burn through.

:jokealert: you twit. :makepoint: Let me know how that scanner works...I've got some newegg gift cards to burn through.

Will do. (thumbs u

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838150029

Anyone know how well that scanner handles slabs? Sample scans would be much appreciated (thumbs u

That scanner is the Duck's Nuts :cloud9:

Ive got one and I absolutely love it!

Very fast, very nice scans with an easy to use TWAIN program.

If you wanna see some scans with it, just look at some of my recent books in the TWIYC thread. Scanned on basic settings with no tweaking, 96dpi scans.

Arex

Anyone know how well that scanner handles slabs? Sample scans would be much appreciated (thumbs u

If you wanna see some scans with it, just look at some of my recent books in the TWIYC thread. Scanned on basic settings with no tweaking, 96dpi scans.

Arex

Where did you get yours? I'm ready to throw my ScanJet in the trash. :censored:

Arex

Where did you get yours? I'm ready to throw my ScanJet in the trash. :censored:

Well, unfortunately Microtek STILL doesn't have 64-bit drivers for any of their scanners, and I'm not going to switch OSs because they're stuck in the past. There's a slight possibility I could get the i800 to work under a 64-bit OS with some tricky editing of the INF driver file, but there's no guarantees there. Newegg has a good deal on the HP 8300 which does have 64-bit drivers. I looked around and saw some slab scans Greggy had done with his 8300 awhile back and they looked good to me. Before I pull the trigger, does anyone have a good reason to avoid the HP 8300 (besides having the same scanner as Greggy)?

Not to sound ignorant...but aren't most manufacturers still in the 32bit camp?

The HP legal scanners produce the "rainbow" effect in the scans...as discussed in a related thread that should still be in the top 1-2 pages. If you don't mind crappy scans, then go ahead and get the HP scanners. I was considering Microtek but you bring up a good point about the drivers.

So that I'm in the know, are the 64bit drivers Windows only? So therefore I'm assuming you are using Vista.

Not to sound ignorant...but aren't most manufacturers still in the 32bit camp?

The HP legal scanners produce the "rainbow" effect in the scans...that to me would be more discerning than the 32bit/64bit thingie.

Not really...if we're talking about major manufacturers. I've been running x64 since a couple months after it was available, and haven't had a driver issue yet. Apparently the scan below came from the 8300 and it doesn't look too bad. Besides, minor "rainbow" effect is better than not being able to use a scanner at all because drivers aren't available.

warishell1dd8.jpg