• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Birthday John Severin/ Let's See Those Pages!!

20 posts in this topic

Today is John Severin's 86th birthday. One of the few golden age greats still drawing today, his work has power, grace, and style, and for over 50 years has enthralled many comic and art collectors. Kull, Sgt. Fury, Cracked, and EC's Two Fisted Tales are just a few of the comics and magazines in which one may find many examples of his fine art. I've been looking for a nice John Severin cover for some time , and today on his birthday I received my Christmas present. Happy Holidays.

Mark

a>

That's a very nice cover -- not that I've seen anything less than high quality work from John.

Sorry for the cropped scan but I don't have a digital camera.

SeverinSplash.jpg

Great cover, congrats . . . or should I say, "WAHOO!"

Here's my Severin (framed and on the wall directly in front of me as I type):

6xlm98w.jpg

This is just like his wonderful suspense covers for Atlas. Being an American I also especially like seeing the Capitol building! :applause:

Bottom left panel, the first appearance of Sgt Fury? hm

Kirby could have been reading DC war comics. hm

But I doubt it.

Damn you for getting that damn fine piece instead of me.

But here's one I did manage to get. Severin inks on Ayers pencils.

Sgt-3.jpg

Whenever Severin inked Ayers on SGT FURY, he gave the finsihed art a touch of class - and also managed to correct uniforms and hardware in the process.

was good, visually, but John was very knowledgeable about authenticity - which Ayers was lacking in.

Probably my very favorite Sgt Fury cover! (worship)

I'll bite. Why that one? (shrug)

Just think it's cool with the peace symbol motif. To be honest, this is one of the covers where the printed cover, which has a bright red background, looks better than the OA B&W version.

Sgt-3.jpg

Whenever Severin inked Ayers on SGT FURY, he gave the finsihed art a touch of class - and also managed to correct uniforms and hardware in the process.

was good, visually, but John was very knowledgeable about authenticity - which Ayers was lacking in.

I will not stand for your Ayers bashing!

Sgt-3.jpg

I will not stand for your Ayers bashing!

Try sitting down! :D

And in case you think I don't like Darlin' , here's one of two Ayers covers I own:

6ton43p.jpg

Check out the FANTASTIC Syd Shores inks! ;)

Just think it's cool with the peace symbol motif. To be honest, this is one of the covers where the printed cover, which has a bright red background, looks better than the OA B&W version.

Interesting you should say that. I was contemplating getting a colored overlay to put on the art. since the coloring was really simple it wouldn't take too much to do it.

BTW, this is the only time I can recall a peace symbol appearing on a marvel comic during the turbulent sixties. DC had a lot of "relevant" covers trying to grab the teen audience which Marvel had pretty much sewn up. I find it especially interesting how they used the peace symbol on a war comic, as if hoping to get the hawks and the doves for the same book. (not to mention that the peace symbol wasn't invented until long after world war 2 ended)

Interesting you should say that. I was contemplating getting a colored overlay to put on the art. since the coloring was really simple it wouldn't take too much to do it.

That would be a really cool idea. If you ever do it, please post the result! :wishluck:

BTW, this is the only time I can recall a peace symbol appearing on a marvel comic during the turbulent sixties. DC had a lot of "relevant" covers trying to grab the teen audience which Marvel had pretty much sewn up. I find it especially interesting how they used the peace symbol on a war comic, as if hoping to get the hawks and the doves for the same book. (not to mention that the peace symbol wasn't invented until long after world war 2 ended)

Interesting, had never thought about that before. hm