• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overly Optomistic???

14 posts in this topic

Asking 3x guide for a 9.4 with Frazetta art... We Golden Age collectors are a bit smarter than the average modern/bronze/Marvel zombie collectors but someone might bite on this. It has two great selling points: 9.4 and Frazetta. Without the Frazetta art, I think 3x guide would be a bit crazy to ask for.

In my estimation, you'd have a better chance of flapping your arms and flying to Mars, than this book has of transacting at $6Gs+. Frazetta or not, it's an Avon.

I think that the handful of non-DC/Timely investors that are paying 3X (and better) multiples for high grade Golden Age non-key issues have moved from endangered species status to EXTINCT.

Possibly High grade Centaur non-keys in the NM ranges because they're rare and have the look of Timelys but definitely not Avons!

The Lost Valley books, with a few exceptions, are famously overpriced. I got Al's price list shortly after the books returned from CGC, and almost died laughing. The fact that many are still for sale after San Diego, Chicago, Baltimore and now ebay is testament to the silly prices Al and company have placed on this overall so-so collection. I think that this issue has two chances of getting that kind of money. Slim to none.

In my estimation, you'd have a better chance of flapping your arms and flying to Mars, than this book has of transacting at $6Gs+. Frazetta or not, it's an Avon.

I think that the handful of non-DC/Timely investors that are paying 3X (and better) multiples for high grade Golden Age non-key issues have moved from endangered species status to EXTINCT.

Possibly High grade Centaur non-keys in the NM ranges because they're rare and have the look of Timelys but definitely not Avons!

I know I certainly wouldn't pay 3X guide or >$6,000 for this book. I also know I'm not flapping my arms and flying to Mars. smirk.gif But there always seems to be some sucker out there. As PT Barnum said, "There's one born every minute."

Frazetta or not, it's an Avon.

Avons are very popular with the horror and si-fi collectors. Eerie (both iterations), City Of The Living Dead, Diary Of Horror, Phantom Witch Doctor, The Dead Who Walk and Witchcraft are highly sought after by the precoders.

But I agree that it is gonna be an anomaly if that books hits the asking price!

I've thought that the Strange Worlds #3 has historically been overpriced. Give me a Strange Worlds #4 or #5 with those classic Wally Wood covers. Now I bet nice copies of those would bring multiples of guide.

strange_worlds_5.jpg

Gary J.

ECFANMAN

Were I to choose, I would choose the 5. I like Frazetta but am not as much a fan as I am Wood, Colan, Ingles, Feldstein, Palais, Cole etc.

But Frazetta certainly has a (deserved) following and pre-code Frazetta does tend to carry a premium for many.

Your opinion about the Lost Valley collection appears to be bang on. I only saw one book which I thought might have been a good deal. This was a CGC 9.0 copy of Wings Comics #90. Although it was listed at triple guide at $475, this was a book which I had been after for a long time. Classic good girl cover which is tremedously undervalued in the guide!

Needless to say, the book was already gone by the time I called in. Apparently it was one of the more requested books from his catalogue. Any forum members know where I can find a high grade copy of this book at a reasonable price?