• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007/2008 GRADING CONTEST: ROUND 6

114 posts in this topic

I have to say that as this grading contest goes on I am becoming more and more disappointed with CGC.

Mike

(thumbs u I compared this to a range of my CGC graded books (from late silver/early bronze) and the grade just doesn't line up. Not putting down on your book Nik, just would like to see consistency of grading standards.

I have bought books here and elsewhere because a book looked great on a scan only to be disappointed holding it in hand.

Sorry to pick on you but I just laugh at the constant moaning and groaning of a grade when its someone elses book.

Somebody need a little more painkiller? :baiting:

I think its time once again to thank Nik for putting up with all of this and all of the other hard work involved in this contest! :foryou:

That said :devil:, the one CGC book I ever submitted/owned was no better than a 9.4, but CGC gave it a 9.6.

So, Nik, I do think my books are *spoon*ier than they may actually be, too... not just picking on your books!

:hi:

I have to say that as this grading contest goes on I am becoming more and more disappointed with CGC.

Mike

(thumbs u I compared this to a range of my CGC graded books (from late silver/early bronze) and the grade just doesn't line up. Not putting down on your book Nik, just would like to see consistency of grading standards.

Consistency?

It's always been like this.

Hence the "Nik bump".

(thumbs u

I have talked to CGC about this in the past and their response is that their grade may fluctuate one grade in either direction on any graded book. So on a resub this book could be a 9.0 or 9.4. I have resubbed a number of books and not had the same grade twice yet. That is why guessing the grade in the contest is tough--CGC might not have the same grade on another look at the same book; so, based on CGC's view, anybody within one grade pretty much "nailed it". :o It is still fun to try though.

I have talked to CGC about this in the past and their response is that their grade may fluctuate one grade in either direction on any graded book. So on a resub this book could be a 9.0 or 9.4. I have resubbed a number of books and not had the same grade twice yet. That is why guessing the grade in the contest is tough--CGC might not have the same grade on another look at the same book; so, based on CGC's view, anybody within one grade pretty much "nailed it". :o It is still fun to try though.

I nailed it every round then! ^^

That's interesting! It totally makes sense, and explains a lot of the variation I've seen in my very limited experience with CGC. But on the other hand it's kind of disappointing that they aren't a little more consistent. Maybe it's just impossible.

Just to be pedantic*, I'd like to point out that even if we think of this '1 either side' level of accuracy as being true of CGC grading, the 9.2 on this book would probably be the high side of the equation. i.e. on a resub it could come out 8.5 or 9.0.

Not that I'm saying it would or anything, just pointing out the flaw in the logic :grin:

*to be precise, I'm not being pedantic, I'm being pernickety.

Just to be pedantic*, I'd like to point out that even if we think of this '1 either side' level of accuracy as being true of CGC grading, the 9.2 on this book would probably be the high side of the equation. i.e. on a resub it could come out 8.5 or 9.0.

Not that I'm saying it would or anything, just pointing out the flaw in the logic :grin:

*to be precise, I'm not being pedantic, I'm being pernickety.

I just brought that up because that was their response to me about grading inconsistency on the same book, and by logic, to different books similarly situated with different grades. I don't see it coming out a 9.4 either on a resub, but that is how they couched the discussion.

Nik, I have to ask. How did you grade this book before you sent it in.

R.

I thought it was a strong 9.0 and when I bought from Dave in Chicago last year I thought the same when he sold it to me as a VF+

I actually saw that book last year. Wow. 9.2. Wow.

R.