• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007/2008 GRADING CONTEST: ROUND 6

114 posts in this topic

Why is that?

You feel the books are overgraded based on scans?

Go on and say it, I heard it so many, many times before of " man if thats a 9.2 then all my books are 9.6s" until those making claims like that actually submit their books to be disappointed.

Honestly I run these contest as I have always believed that there is no way to actually grade a book based on a scan, its just fun trying to come close.

I have bought books here and elsewhere because a book looked great on a scan only to be disappointed holding it in hand.

Sorry to pick on you but I just laugh at the constant moaning and groaning of a grade when its someone elses book.

Yeah bltches....send in your books and see how they grade them. If you think CGC grades so weak, send in your junk and get the gift grades and ka ching. Works for me :busy:

Prove it with paypal records.

How about my sale of my 9.8 X-men 101 to Watson?

Gift grade.

Exactly. Send my books yet? :whistle:

No.

Why is that?

Go on and say it, I heard it so many, many times before of " man if thats a 9.2 then all my books are 9.6s" until those making claims like that actually submit their books to be disappointed.

Honestly I run these contest as I have always believed that there is no way to actually grade a book based on a scan, its just fun trying to come close.

I have bought books here and elsewhere because a book looked great on a scan only to be disappointed holding it in hand.

Sorry to pick on you but I just laugh at the constant moaning and groaning of a grade when its someone elses book.

Yeah bltches....send in your books and see how they grade them. If you think CGC grades so weak, send in your junk and get the gift grades and ka ching. Works for me :busy:

Gift grade.

No.

Monday?

Why is that?

Gift grade.

No.

Monday?

:sick:

Why is that?

Gift grade.

No.

Monday?

Pretty please

Why is that?

Gift grade.

No.

Monday?

Pretty please

:news:

Why is that?

My disappointment with CGC is that they don't publicize what their grading standards are. What the heck is that all about???

Presumably they're using some sort of objective process or checklist, but maybe they aren't. If it's objective, they ought to let people know what it is. If it's subjective...then admit that what they are doing is making judgment calls based on experience...kind of like we're doing here.

The hobby definitely needs certified grading...but it also needs objective standards, to the extent that is possible (every book has its unique defects).

Having said that, there's no doubt that grading by scans is impossible. You have to have the book in hand.

But it would help if you knew what the standards are when you have a book in hand...

I think the quicker people realize this the better. Me personally?.. I am madder then a hornet being sprayed with a garden hose that I have not yet nailed a grade, but realize it means I just suck at guessing/gambling, not grading. If anyone is allowed to second guess the DC grade this round, it's Harry.

btw.. Congrats to the Pats, they did what they had to do to win. Scoreboard say's it all..16-0, but Wilfork can rot as far as I'm concerned.

Go Colts

Ze-

Why is that?

Couldn't agree more! :applause:

Scans completely hide many defects, while making others appear more pronounced. As it says on the grading forum "Grading from a scan is not reliable, but it is interesting" (thumbs u

I gave this last round a 7.5! Thought the bottom corners looked nasty. My mistake for not taking the trouble to reduce the scan to life size like I usually do to get some perspective!

Wow. That is a terrible looking 9.2. I called it an 8.0.

Ditto!

Is there some special SA curve that I'm unaware of? I mean, I've got a 9.0 BA book that I submitted sitting here and it looks freaking flawless, so this leaves me confused.

NO WAY! :frustrated:

I said 8.0 - this should please those of you who are waiting for lists of my comics as I am going through and regrading from my fist ignorant pass of a month ago! :eek:

Send me your list of 8.0 SA Marvels for sale! (thumbs u

I considered 9.2, but thought there were too many nicks and soft corners. Went with 9.0.

These high grade comics are killing me.

I thought DC comics were impervious to the Nik Bump

:censored:

Which is why it isn't a 9.4. :baiting: