• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd String DC Sci-Fi
1 1

1,249 posts in this topic

So...tell us more about this 90% complete collection!

It think the scarcity of graded copies is due to a combination of reasons. First of all, these books are scarce in high grade. Second, I'm guessing the collectors who like this kind of stuff don't want books locked up in a plastic vault (I know I'm in that catgegory). Finally, I don't think having the third or fourth highest graded copy would spark the kind of bidding war that you'd see with a SA Marvel, for example.

So...tell us more about this 90% complete collection!

It think the scarcity of graded copies is due to a combination of reasons. First of all, these books are scarce in high grade. Second, I'm guessing the collectors who like this kind of stuff don't want books locked up in a plastic vault (I know I'm in that catgegory). Finally, I don't think having the third or fourth highest graded copy would spark the kind of bidding war that you'd see with a SA Marvel, for example.

My good man, I do believe you have hit the nail square on the head...the DC Sci-Fi collector is the most discerning of collectors...yes. Unlike those...if you pardon the expression, "Marvel zombies" who only collect those nasty little plastic encased "keys".

Each DC Sci-Fi books is a masterpiece in its own right. The interior of these treasures simply cannot be sealed up in a clear plastic. They must be allowed to breath the air and have their interior artwork and stories be enjoyed by its loving owner.

If I may, I would liken a slabbed DC Sci-Fi book to a beautiful and elegantly dressed woman, who you could only look at, but never touch...(brings a tear to the eye).

What are your thoughts about this, my fellow DC Sci-Fi enthusiasts?

If I may, I would liken a slabbed DC Sci-Fi book to a beautiful and elegantly dressed woman, who you could only look at, but never touch...(brings a tear to the eye).

What are your thoughts about this, my fellow DC Sci-Fi enthusiasts?

I touch my books (shrug)

:devil:

The books are tough to find but they don't sell for all that much to motivate those who are only slightly enamored of them to let them go. If prices were higher, we would see more graded copies, though I'm doubtful it would be a flood due to a portion of them being held by very satisfied collectors.

HOM5.jpg

scan0212.jpg
Cool mystery cover!

This thread needs a bump. Got this one as a throw-in in a lot awhile back. Kinda rough but a great issue with a Maneely/Sinnott story, a rarity for a DC mag.

HOM75.jpg

Two very nice Egyptian-themed issues! :applause:

very nice, I did not realize that was them!

I think it has a slightly "harder" look than the typical DC cover. The interior story is beautiful.

I think it has a slightly "harder" look than the typical DC cover. The interior story is beautiful.

Extnay onway ethay Ousehay ofway Ysterymay!

I have been trying to find that book in HG for ages...the last thing I need is competition from a bunch of you HG yahoos! ;)

HouseofMystery25.jpg Admittedly, not in the best of shapes but it came cheaply and I'm very happy with the book. Pre-code HOMs are very difficult to find in anything resembling decent shape. Also, the colors are very vivid--especially the DC greens, yellows and reds. Nice PQ too! Thanks to a board member for the fair prices on these and three post code House of Mysteries.

Extnay onway ethay Ousehay ofway Ysterymay!

I have been trying to find that book in HG for ages...the last thing I need is competition from a bunch of you HG yahoos! ;)

Ha, you have me mistaken if you think I go for HG!

Of course I occasionally stumbling on some things...

HouseofMystery25.jpg Admittedly, not in the best of shapes but it came cheaply and I'm very happy with the book. Pre-code HOMs are very difficult to find in anything resembling decent shape. Also, the colors are very vivid--especially the DC greens, yellows and reds. Nice PQ too! Thanks to a board member for the fair prices on these and three post code House of Mysteries.

Yes, very hard to find! Great reading too.