• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Five Best Comic Cons Every Year!!!

12 posts in this topic

Here are mine:

1) New York Comic Con

2) San Diego Comic Con

3) WW Chicago

4) Baltimore Comic Con

5) WW Philly

**NYC Comic con I feel is better than SDCC because there are more comic dealers and the atmosphere to me is more electic. I know the one in April will only be is 3rd annual but since I went to both SDCC and NYC comic con in 2007 and will be attending both in 2008, I feel NYC comic con in 5 years will be the premier con of the year.

**SDCC is off course number 2 because of the size, weather, quests, and all the hotties that dress up.

** I love WW Chicago and is prob the best buyers con of the year, and with out a doubt the best Wizard Show of the four!!

**Baltimore is another great buyers con, and has that old school feel to it

**I am sure alot of people will not have WW Phily on their top five, but I am biased because I am from Philly! lol

Not sure I agree about more dealers at the NYCC, I'm confidant that SDCC actually has more national dealers, but I do agree that the gaps are closing.

Factoring in my top five I'm excluding Toronto shows, as I've been involved in both and I don't want any grief.

I'm generally going by (1) atmosphere at the con (2) guests and (3) my time in the city itself - quality of food, hotels, etc.

1) San Diego - it's insane, but everyone is there, and the city is awesome - the food, the hotel. No complaints except for the woman on the PA system.

2) Baltimore Comicon - Marc Nathan runs a great show and I always have a great time there.

3) Wizard World Chicago - I still like this show, as it's the one I've been going to the longest.

4) Wondercon - generally great guests, a great hotel, great restaurants, friendly people. A fun time all around.

5) New York Comic Con - slipping in at number five because of the quality of guests and the fact that I love staying in Manhattan. However, New York hotels generally suck and the people aren't that nice, February weather also sucks (and the plane delays and cancellations then made these shows more of a headache) and the con itself has to do something about that cramped artist area - hopefully the weather won't be a problem in April.

Honourable mention(s): Wizard World Los Angeles/Wizard World Philadelphia (tie) - I like them both equally. I do enjoy LA and the food in Philly is excellent.

and the people aren't that nice

:sorry:

Actually, I found New Yorkers to be some of the friendliest Big City people I've ever met.(thumbs u

All apologies to T.O and Mr. Boyd, but I find Torontonians to not be the warmest bunch. As I lived for 25+ years in SW Ontario, I feel pretty confident making this assessment.

BTW - Great Thread!

Not sure I agree about more dealers at the NYCC, I'm confidant that SDCC actually has more national dealers, but I do agree that the gaps are closing.

Factoring in my top five I'm excluding Toronto shows, as I've been involved in both and I don't want any grief.

I'm generally going by (1) atmosphere at the con (2) guests and (3) my time in the city itself - quality of food, hotels, etc.

1) San Diego - it's insane, but everyone is there, and the city is awesome - the food, the hotel. No complaints except for the woman on the PA system.

2) Baltimore Comicon - Marc Nathan runs a great show and I always have a great time there.

3) Wizard World Chicago - I still like this show, as it's the one I've been going to the longest.

4) Wondercon - generally great guests, a great hotel, great restaurants, friendly people. A fun time all around.

5) New York Comic Con - slipping in at number five because of the quality of guests and the fact that I love staying in Manhattan. However, New York hotels generally suck and the people aren't that nice, February weather also sucks (and the plane delays and cancellations then made these shows more of a headache) and the con itself has to do something about that cramped artist area - hopefully the weather won't be a problem in April.

Honourable mention(s): Wizard World Los Angeles/Wizard World Philadelphia (tie) - I like them both equally. I do enjoy LA and the food in Philly is excellent.

I think WW LA is the worst and least populated cons I have ever been to!!

At the con people are fine, although the crowds in the con can be pushy. I have a lot of friends from NY. I just find that, overall, people aren't that friendly, and I think that has to do with having to have your guard up in the city. One on one people are okay.

Nicest people I've met on the road were in Ohio and Minnesota.

I completely agree about Toronto, I live here and find as a group, we aren't that nice.

As for LA, I enjoy it. Creators are accessible, crowds aren't overwhelming. And I really like LA for the short periods that I'm there. To say "worst and least populated" - do crowds help or hurt a positive con experience? I would say that having the run of a con without big crowds is beneficial to a fan.... just not to dealers and other exhibitors... but to the guy who has a fairly empty room full of top notch creators it's heaven. It's why people liked the shows I used to put on.

Assessing all aspects including locale, quality of dealers, guests, ability to get in and out, food, vendors and overall feel I would go with the following:

WW Chicago:

Pros: Hands down the best show with tons of dealers, smoothly run and near a great city. Lots of dealers show in Chicago that don't show up at other cons, and the show has not gotten overly insane.

Cons: Not actually close enough to down town.

San Diego:

Pros: Warm weather, great food, tons of dealers, huge attendence, unveiling of new collections, unbelievable guests, hollywood stars and still THE show to attend.

Cons: Dealers charging insane prices because they are charged insane prices for the booths and the cost of getting out there. Hassle to stand in line if you don't have a dealer's badge. Borderline overwhelming.

New York Comic Con:

Pros: It's New York City so literally everything is some where in the city, food, lodging etc. Lots of high end and low end dealers. Tremendous buzz, professional promoters.

Cons: It's in New York City. So getting around is hassle, hotels are pretty expensive and a lot of west coast dealers were not coming out to the show. Not a lot of "new" dealers that I saw last year. Deals are very tough to come by.

Baltimore Comic Con:

Pros: In the inner harbor, near the stadium, decent food surrounds the area, moderate level of dealers, good place to get deals on books, tons of guests, and a generally well run show.

Cons: Some dealers won't show or won't bring their "best" stuff because they see a lot of tire kickers at the show. Plus, they are burned out. The show is organized but I almost feel that a lot of people are already burned out from the con season as it is. Often times it's tough to get a hotel because of the Yankees being in town or something. There's always another convention at the same time that seems to be jamming things up as well. This year it was moved to a more inconvient main entrance to the con.

I think tied for fifth would be a ton of other shows like WW LA, WW Philly, Heroes Con, etc.

Assessing all aspects including locale, quality of dealers, guests, ability to get in and out, food, vendors and overall feel I would go with the following:

WW Chicago:

Pros: Hands down the best show with tons of dealers, smoothly run and near a great city. Lots of dealers show in Chicago that don't show up at other cons, and the show has not gotten overly insane.

San Diego:

Pros: Warm weather, great food, tons of dealers, huge attendence, unveiling of new collections, unbelievable guests, hollywood stars and still THE show to attend.

Cons: Dealers charging insane prices because they are charged insane prices for the booths and the cost of getting out there. Hassle to stand in line if you don't have a dealer's badge. Borderline overwhelming.

New York Comic Con:

Pros: It's New York City so literally everything is some where in the city, food, lodging etc. Lots of high end and low end dealers. Tremendous buzz, professional promoters.

Cons: It's in New York City. So getting around is hassle, hotels are pretty expensive and a lot of west coast dealers were not coming out to the show. Not a lot of "new" dealers that I saw last year. Deals are very tough to come by.

Baltimore Comic Con:

Pros: In the inner harbor, near the stadium, decent food surrounds the area, moderate level of dealers, good place to get deals on books, tons of guests, and a generally well run show.

Cons: Some dealers won't show or won't bring their "best" stuff because they see a lot of tire kickers at the show. Plus, they are burned out. The show is organized but I almost feel that a lot of people are already burned out from the con season as it is. Often times it's tough to get a hotel because of the Yankees being in town or something. There's always another convention at the same time that seems to be jamming things up as well. This year it was moved to a more inconvient main entrance to the con.

I think tied for fifth would be a ton of other shows like WW LA, WW Philly, Heroes Con, etc.

Theres my boy from Philly!!!

r u still going to the Local Philly Cons in the hotel by the airport?

WW Chicago:

San Diego:

New York Comic Con:

Baltimore Comic Con:

Theres my boy from Philly!!!

r u still going to the Local Philly Cons in the hotel by the airport?

Yep... and they're okay for what they are. I still enjoy showing up and chatting with the dealers and picking through the inventory. Al, Gary, and Dave Reynolds still being the best.