• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My whole year of art including a Jusko Grail piece

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays to you! These two pieces were pretty much my whole year. However, I think in this case that quality definitely exceeds quantity. The first piece is a stunning Joe Jusko painting and the second is my favorite Scot Eaton Thor cover. I had to sell several of my high dollar comics to allow for these two purchases, but I think it was well worth it. I can always go back and buy other copies of the comic books I sold, but these pieces might never have become available again. I've also updated my website with better quality images since Comcast upped my storage limit. For some reason, the hit counter reset to zero when I updated all of my images and I can't get it to change back. Oh well, it should be at around 3800 visitors. Please let me know what you think.

The first piece is the acrylic painting that was used to make the iconic 1986 Marvel Press Poster featuring Thor and his Asgardian supporting cast (Odin, Baldur, Heimdall, Sif, Hogun, Volstagg, Fandral, and a random Asgardian according to Joe Jusko) sailing through the vast reaches of outer space in their Viking longboat. I absolutely loved this poster when it came out in 1986. I had actually wondered where the original art was for this poster when I first began to collect original art several years ago because the poster itself is fairly hard to come by and expensive when you can find it on EBAY. I assumed that Joe Jusko still had it in his private collection. I got lucky recently and saw that it had been listed on Tom Fleming's site at Fanfare SE and immediately emailed him to see if we might be able to work out a payment plan I could work with since this baby was much more expensive than my normal art purchases. We agreed to terms and the rest is history. You really have to see this thing up close to get some perspective on it. It is absoutely HUGE at 30x40 inches! It is actually bigger than the poster that was made from it. The varied colors on it are amazing as well. I emailed Joe Jusko about it and he told me that he had sold it in 1986 or 1987 and that it was the biggest painting that he has ever done. Tom Fleming bought it a few years ago from who he belives to be the original owner and sold it to a good customer of his who recently liquidated some stuff including this painting back to Tom. It is definitely the crown jewel of my collection. I had to take it to a local photography lab where they scanned it on a large format Cruse scanner.

Thor_Poster_Painting_Jusko.jpg

Here is a scan of the center of the painting so you can see a little of the detail that Joe put in the painting. I believe that Jusko is truly a modern master. I've always loved his work, but I haven't found anything yet I could justify spending the required cash on until this beauty.

Thor_Poster_Painting_closeup_Jusko.jpg

Finally, this piece is the cover to Thor volume 2 #79 done by Scot Eaton and Drew Geraci. This cover stands out as the best of Scot Eaton's work on Thor in my opinion and is one of my favorite Thor covers period. It is just a truly iconic image of Thor as he sails toward adventure on a Viking longboat. I tried to buy this cover when Scot originally got it back from Marvel, but he and his wife decided to keep it at the time. I made it plain to them that they had a buyer if they ever wanted to sell this cover and they recently decided to sell it to me. This scan is actually a xerox copy since my 11x17 Mustek scanner recently gave up the ghost on me. I took the original to Kinkos where I made a reduced copy which I then scanned into my computer.

Thor_79_cover.jpg

That is pretty much my whole year of artwork. However, I think it was a pretty good year!! :banana:

Chris (thumbs u

That painting sir, is absolutly gorgeous! Not really my line of OA at all, but when I see such a wonderful piece like that, I can't help but fall a bit in love with it too! Congratulations! I saved your scans on my hard drive, Thank You!

Thanks to all who took a moment to comment on these pieces. I am especially proud of them both. :cloud9:

As far as the Jusko's dimensions go, yes it is going up on the wall soon. I was tapped out because of the holidays and two young kids, but getting that baby custom framed is first on the list for the new year. I already have a space on the wall cleared out.

Happy collecting to you all!

Chris