• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandman 9.8 ebay insanity

54 posts in this topic

Damn! I think I've got a 9.6. What're they fetching these days? Under $100, no?

I sold one for $90 about a month ago - there are three listed in various ebay stores for between $120-130, and they haven't moved in months.

I was really hoping to see a 9.8 Sandman #8 Editorial pop up. No luck.

As I was preparing to send mine to Jespersen to see if he could track down Gaiman for an SS in San Diego, I noticed the back cover had a two inch tear. My dreams of a 9.8 quickly dissipated into 6.0 nightmares. :sorry:

Well, having been bolstered by the results of my first submission I will definitely be including a bunch of 'Sandmen' in my second sub! I bought them from issue 1 to about 60, where for some forgotten reason I stopped buying them.

Many of them will be slabworthy I'm sure.

My #1 won't be though. I know it's not 9.8 material. Maybe a 9.6, but that's just not good enough for a modern is it? Except for uber-keys.

My dream Sandman set would be:

Sandman #1 9.8

Sandman #8 Editorial 9.8

Death Platinum 9.8

In sig series too? That would be sweet! Gaiman on the #1, McKean on the #8, and Bachalo on the Death (just fantasising here) :cloud9:

Grails, you're almost there! Am quite envious :)

Thank you, actually, the Sandman slabs are all for my wife. She got hooked on my Absolute Sandman edition and now I'm getting her slabs. She also likes the Bone One Volume edition so I've been finding Bone slabs for her as well. I'm helping her put together some registry sets now.

when you can pick up NM copies of that issue all day long for about $5.

--------------

Where? I'm not into paying more than $1 for a modern, but $5 for that one sounds like a deal. I see some on ebay in the $10-$12 range including shipping. Were I at a show I'd buy a stack of Sandman 1s for $5 a pop in a heartbeat, and I'm not a "buy a stack" type.

This CGC 9.8 went via a BIN for $5...but the shipping was $570! (I wonder how that one is going to get worked out!):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sandman-1-CGC-9-8-DC-Vertigo-White-Pages-1st-Morpheus_W0QQitemZ120209175407QQihZ002QQcategoryZ35764QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

With that said, that's crazy money for a 9.8, but wasn't that the sort of price that CGC said it could transform raw sandman 1s into?

when you can pick up NM copies of that issue all day long for about $5.

--------------

Where? I'm not into paying more than $1 for a modern, but $5 for that one sounds like a deal. I see some on ebay in the $10-$12 range including shipping. Were I at a show I'd buy a stack of Sandman 1s for $5 a pop in a heartbeat, and I'm not a "buy a stack" type.

This CGC 9.8 went via a BIN for $5...but the shipping was $570! (I wonder how that one is going to get worked out!):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sandman-1-CGC-9-8-DC-Vertigo-White-Pages-1st-Morpheus_W0QQitemZ120209175407QQihZ002QQcategoryZ35764QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

With that said, that's crazy money for a 9.8, but wasn't that the sort of price that CGC said it could transform raw sandman 1s into?

No, what I said was:

I can't believe that someone paid more than $600 for a #2, when you can pick up NM copies of that issue all day long for about $5.

I was referring to issue #2. Even though I did just win a raw #1 on ebay for the almighty price of $6.25.

The CGC 9.8 you linked was put up by the seller just so that specific buyer could instantly hit the buy it now - pretty smart way to avoid paying the ebay fees on a valuable item (i'm sure that ebay is not too happy about it, though).

Time for me to include my Sandmans books in my next submission to CGC. I don't have #1 or #2 but if the winner of these auctions is looking for other issues, I might have 12 years worth of Christmas and birthday presents lined up for him :)

(thumbs u My birthday's next month!

They won't be back in time for your birthday but I will include them in my next submission.

It's always seemed undervalued to me, seeing as it's one of the most important comics of the 'copper age'.

Having said that, $500+ for either of those is pretty crazy! a sound investment. Glad I've got several of #1 tucked away ;)

Just got the result on the #1 I sent to CGC: 9.8 White :headbang:

The only problem is, I want to keep it :cry:

I was really hoping to see a 9.8 Sandman #8 Editorial pop up. No luck.

Grails,, Guy's copy of that sold last year... $1,300 if I recall hm

But jusdging by the new appreciation for the rest of the run, that looks like steal now!

I'm hanging onto my 9.6 Editorial version like it's gold now :cloud9:lol

I've got the first nine or so issues - i should have 13, but no clue what happened to some of them, I guess I need to do some digging - that I really, really, really need to send in.

More than a couple were purchased from Westfield and bagged/boarded without even being opened. I may have read issue 1 hm but I doubt it

I've got the first nine or so issues - i should have 13, but no clue what happened to some of them, I guess I need to do some digging - that I really, really, really need to send in.

More than a couple were purchased from Westfield and bagged/boarded without even being opened. I may have read issue 1 hm but I doubt it

Sal, your off the hook there, the first 10 issues, while good are probably some of the weaker issue's story wise in the entire run. I guess it was more setting the tone of the book to follow, that was lacking when they were first read.

Why hollywood has never picked up one of the books to do a movie on still baffles... A Game of You gets my pick! :applause:

mschmidt, finally opened my box. Thanks a ton!

Hit me up if you sell any more Miracleman or Sandman books.

I agree about Doll's House. Such a great, and sick, story.

Concerning your Death #1, the spine bend and "perforations" in the shiny spine area is probably what pulled it down to a 9.6. Quite honestly, I'm surprised it didn't get a 9.4. That shiny spine area drives me nutz on the Sandman books (like in the #40's area). It makes spine bends look SOOOOO much worse.

Pat