• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Never-Ending Comic Book Quiz

1,202 posts in this topic

I just find it funny that essentially the wizard is put on that cover as one of the pirate's ghost.

Name at least 5 pre-code comic books with a guillotine on the cover (note: side panel appearances like on some Atlas covers will not count)

:popcorn:

Tales from the Crypt 27

Tales from the Crypt 44

Horrific 7

Riot 1

Classic Comics 6 - A Tale of Two Cities

^^

Much easier than I anticipated. I have 7 others on the list I quickly created before asking the question. Many more than I thought out there.

Congrats :applause:

Thanks Scrooge.

:gossip: An eBay keyword search gave me four of them. The 5th? Tale of Two Cities has to have a guillotine on the cover.

Next Question:

Roll Call

Superman

Batman

Robin

Wonder Woman

Flash

Aquaman

The above characters all took part in the "unofficial" first adventure of the Justice League. Name the two characters missing from this team.

Now, if I were to give a quality clue, it wouldn't be about this group. However, a little sleuthing, believe it or not, should fetch the answer.

Thanks Scrooge.

:gossip: An eBay keyword search gave me four of them. The 5th? Tale of Two Cities has to have a guillotine on the cover.

Next Question:

Roll Call

Superman

Batman

Robin

Wonder Woman

Flash

Aquaman

The above characters all took part in the "unofficial" first adventure of the Justice League. Name the two characters missing from this team.

Now, if I were to give a quality clue, it wouldn't be about this group. However, a little sleuthing, believe it or not, should fetch the answer.

I had to use the web, which turned up JLoA 144 as the source with these two added:

Martian Manhunter

Green Lantern primarily as Hal Jordan

(It sounds like you want characters from Quality though. Am I misreading your clue?)

Jack

Right issue, wrong characters. Quality wouldn't be about that group.

They're both from DC.

This should give it away: Secret Agent X-9 and Sub-Mariner's battle cry

Good lord. I'm going to have to dig this issue out to read it. Everybody but the kitchen sink according to GCD!

Your clues point to Spectre/ Jim Corrigan but he's not listed and Rex the Wonder Dog.

Interesting question.

Jack

Character appearances:

Green Arrow [Earth-1]; Green Lantern [Hal Jordan]; Superman [Earth-1]; Martian Manhunter [J'onn J'onzz] (flashback); The Flash [barry Allen] (flashback); Batman [Earth-1] (flashback); Robin [Earth-1] (flashback); Aquaman (flashback); Wonder Woman [Earth-1] (flashback) (all as the Justice League of America/JLA, pre-origin); Ace Morgan; Prof. Haley; Red Ryan; Rocky Davis (all as the Challengers of the Unknown, all flashback); Blackhawk; Andre; Stanislaus; Hendrickson; Chop-Chop; Olaf; Chuck (all as the Blackhawks, all flashback); Dr. Erdel (flashback); Commander Blanx (villain, flashback); Roy Raymond (flashback); Lois Lane (flashback); Jimmy Olsen (flashback); Rex the Wonder Dog (flashback); Congo Bill (flashback); Congorilla (flashback); Robotman [Dr. Robert Crane] (flashback); The Vigilante [Greg Sanders] (flashback); Plastic Man (flashback); Rip Hunter (flashback); Adam Strange (flashback); Alanna (flashback)

Good lord. I'm going to have to dig this issue out to read it. Everybody but the kitchen sink according to GCD!

Your clues point to Spectre/ Jim Corrigan but he's not listed and Rex the Wonder Dog.

Interesting question.

Jack

Secret Agent X-9 = Alex Raymond

I'll admit it, that's a pretty lame clue.

Thanks for doing all the leg work on that question.

Well, truth be told, I just looked it up in the Official JLA Index from ICG (issue #5).

The synopsis gave a run down of all involved characters, and I used process of elimination. (thumbs u

Okayyy...

Let's try something new & see how the response is: Time to playyy "Name That Quote!"

Identify issue # and the character (start off with an easy one),

"Eat Jell-O."

Will check back in the morn and supply a clue or two...if need be.

Rick

Well, truth be told, I just looked it up in the Official JLA Index from ICG (issue #5).

The synopsis gave a run down of all involved characters, and I used process of elimination. (thumbs u

Okayyy...

Let's try something new & see how the response is: Time to playyy "Name That Quote!"

Identify issue # and the character (start off with an easy one),

"Eat Jell-O."

Will check back in the morn and supply a clue or two...if need be.

Rick

Very Cool. (thumbs u

That quote is really familiar. Shoves it in the guy's face right?

The Bojeffries Saga from Dalgoda #8?

Interesting question.

Jack

Secret Agent X-9 = Alex Raymond

I'll admit it, that's a pretty lame clue.

Not a bad clue, but I mistook it as Secret Agent X-9 -> Secret Agent Corrigan -> Jim Corrigan -> Spectre, even though Spectre wasn't in the story!

This page convinced me to dig out the issue. Challengers of the Unknown, Lois Lane, Congo Bill, Robotman, Vigilante. Hilarious! What a dream team! Too bad they didn't end up with their own series like Justice League.

jla_14401.jpg

Jack

Jell-O? I'm lost.

Jack

Jell-O? I'm lost.

I'm like you. All I can think of is Jack Benny!! which obviously isn't going to be the answer. "J-E-L-L-O, the JELLO Program starring Jack Benny and Mary Livingstone" :D

or for a USA baby boomer who watched too much TV as a kid, Alvin and the Chipmunks -- they used to shill (the real meaning) for Jell-O. The next generation probably thinks of Bill Cosby.

Jack

Jack

Jell-O? I'm lost.

I'm like you. All I can think of is Jack Benny!! which obviously isn't going to be the answer. "J-E-L-L-O, the JELLO Program starring Jack Benny and Mary Livingstone" :D

or for a USA baby boomer who watched too much TV as a kid, Alvin and the Chipmunks -- they used to shill (the real meaning) for Jell-O. The next generation probably thinks of Bill Cosby.

Jack

It cracks me up that at the same time I'm younger and yet older than you :insane:

Jack

Jell-O? I'm lost.

Jack

It cracks me up that at the same time I'm younger and yet older than you :insane:

Time travel stories always give me a headache, Dad.

I mean, Son.

Jack

Not the issue/character I'm looking for Doc (much more mainstream/popular than that), but if you supply proof that it qualifies, then you get the win.

Otherwise, here's a clue before I hit the sack: "Arr, me maties, I be daft in the ol' noggin!"

Rick

Unfortunately, no can do. Sold my Dalgoda run years ago. For some reason I've got a Steve Parkhouse Corben-ish image stuck in my head. It was a guess.

This page convinced me to dig out the issue. Challengers of the Unknown, Lois Lane, Congo Bill, Robotman, Vigilante. Hilarious! What a dream team! Too bad they didn't end up with their own series like Justice League.

Jack

Jell-O? I'm lost.

lol Agreed.

There are some cool story ideas in those old Justice League books. It's surprising they don't revisit them.