• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Breaking down your collection.

45 posts in this topic

I break my collection into the A thru E categories as well:

A.) These books are untouchable. I really want them in my collection, and don't want to sell since they'll be hard to replace in the future. These are also the center pieces of my collection, and without them the rest of the run is somewhat diminished. This means that if I sell my Phantom Lady #17, 23, Brenda Starr #14, etc. then I might as well give up collecting good girl art books altogether!

B.) Books I still enjoy having in my collection, but will sell for the right price. These are books that I can easily replace down the line (for the right price) like Iron Man #1 CGC 9.4 or something like that. I'll list these books at an aggressive price on CL and see what happens. If they don't sell then I'll either lower the price, or just keep them in my collection.

C.) Books that I'm willing to sell, but only to break even on. These are books that I somewhat enjoy having in my collection, but don't want part with until I can at least get my money back. Eventually, I'll sell these books at a loss if I have to, but I'm willing to wait. I had a Brave and the Bold #29 CGC 4.0 book on CL for almost 2 years until I was able to at least come close to breaking even on.

D.) Books I want to get rid of and will sell at a loss if I have to. These will typically include lower grade duplicates, or a run that just doesn't fit my collection anymore. I'll typically throw these books up on Ebay and without a reserve.

E.) My original owner raw collection from the 80's and 90's. These books bring back some memories from my childhood, and I'd rather keep them than sell at pennies to the dollar. This would be a good collection to pass on to the younger generation as well (if they're interested in comic books).

your IM #1 CGC 9.4 would be in my A list. lol

It was in my "A" list until I found out that I could sell it for over $1,700 on CL. I bet I can pick-up a similar copy for less money a year from now. It just made sense to sell it. On the otherhand, if I sell my copy Phantom Lady #23 today, I may never be able to purchase another copy.

I only have good stuff left :P

All the krap was sold ... readers, etc..

What do you mean? Those Copper X-mens were slabbed, so how can you call them "readers"?

:baiting:

The copper X-Men was good stuff :baiting:

I only have good stuff left :P

All the krap was sold ... readers, etc..

What do you mean? Those Copper X-mens were slabbed, so how can you call them "readers"?

:baiting:

The copper X-Men was good stuff :baiting:

X books :whistle:

your IM #1 CGC 9.4 would be in my A list. lol

It was in my "A" list until I found out that I could sell it for over $1,700 on CL.

i think someday everyone will realize that, then JC's great comic book crash may actually happen. :whistle:

Based on your descriptions, I would say that the back issues I buy today are largely A's with a few B's intermixed. Unfortunately, I have a few long boxes that consist of complete runs of Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk and various Spider-man titles from the 80's to present. While these books will likely never appreciate in value, I enjoyed reading them at the time.

Everything I own, including the books that have survived my last two collection purges, are B) for sale at the right price.

It is relatively easy now (compared to a decade or so ago) to replace any book in your collection as long as you are willing to pay for it, so if you are willing to overpay for any of my books you can have them. :devil:

Everything I own, including the books that have survived my last two collection purges, are B) for sale at the right price.

It is relatively easy now (compared to a decade or so ago) to replace any book in your collection as long as you are willing to pay for it, so if you are willing to overpay for any of my books you can have them. :devil:

probably High Grade DC BA Drek right? :baiting:

I only buy A books at this point. ;)

Same here. I only have B and C books because I didn't have an eye for good books in the past. I "thought" I was buying A books (true keepers). It's taken me four years to learn how to really "see" the book in front of me. So the books that I bought, that I thought were good, were the cost of my comic book education -- my tuition, if you will.

My12¢

Dennis

I have 2 categories now

A) the main run, all CGC'ed within specific grade ranges from a very limited range of comics

B) duplicates and undercopies of the above

B I may sell, but not planning on doing so, but may do so due to space issues ( I have up to 3 copies of some bronze ASM's in CGC 9.4 or better, due to poorly planned bidding )

A I may sell, but not planning on doing, but if I do sell it's because I'm leaving the hobby (again)

I have 2 categories as well:

"A" Books----my high grade Silver Age JLA slabs

"C" Books---my original owner collection from when I was a kid---mainly these are from the early to mid-80's

ie: Secret Wars, Crisis, Web Spiderman, Alpha Flight, New Mutants...

and of course drek like Radioactive Mutated Rodent Hamsters or something

like that

(the TMNT wannabee titles...) :sick:

I only buy A books at this point. ;)

Same here. I only have B and C books because I didn't have an eye for good books in the past. I "thought" I was buying A books (true keepers). It's taken me four years to learn how to really "see" the book in front of me. So the books that I bought, that I thought were good, were the cost of my comic book education -- my tuition, if you will.

My12¢

Dennis

This exactly describes about 15 of the 20 long boxes that I have. (worship)

Because I don't have the bank roll that many of you have. :baiting: What a lot would consider "C" I consider "A" like my B&B 29, and 30 which are only gd. :cloud9: But I try and complete the series I collect any way I can with the future hopes of upgrading.