• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blue Lines v. Blue Pencils

23 posts in this topic

I've read that various artists use blue lines to send on for ink work (which get published) while others will use blue pencil instead. Is there any way to determine if a piece of OA is blue line or blue pencil?

Unfortunately... it's already been framed. Oh well. I'll just assume blue line. It's still a nice looking piece of art though, and doesn't tarnish my enjoyment of it (even if that does mean it probably won't go up much in value).

Unfortunately... it's already been framed. Oh well. I'll just assume blue line. It's still a nice looking piece of art though, and doesn't tarnish my enjoyment of it (even if that does mean it probably won't go up much in value).

Post a scan...Please!

Pages that are blue lines, are printed pages of artwork.

Pages that are blue penciled, are rendered pages of artwork with a non-

reproducible blue pencil (this color does not show up well when inked and

scanned.)

You can tell the difference when in hand because the non-reproducible blue

pencil is waxy and has a sheen to it. There might also be eraser marks to

the paper. This kind of pencil sucks when using some inks, because it

does not hold the ink.

Based on your description, it sounds like mine is a blue line then. Nuts- I kinda thought it was cool the artist had worked on the actual page I bought. Still, the inks look absolutely great on it (imo), and it was a really nice deal on it so I can't say I actually feel disappointed.

Here's another newb question if you don't mind. Once the blue line art is inked, do they scan the page and digitally color it? Mine is a relatively new piece (from '97). Thanks!

Based on your description, it sounds like mine is a blue line then. Nuts- I kinda thought it was cool the artist had worked on the actual page I bought. Still, the inks look absolutely great on it (imo), and it was a really nice deal on it so I can't say I actually feel disappointed.

Here's another newb question if you don't mind. Once the blue line art is inked, do they scan the page and digitally color it? Mine is a relatively new piece (from '97). Thanks!

What is the page, and can we see it. Some artwork from that era was digital, some was colored

on a copy, or stat. We might be able to answer your question if we know the page. :)

Catskillcomics is a member here and Ron Frenz's rep. I would drop him an email and ask him what Ron's process was on that title. Would probably be the easiest way to put yourself at ease.

www.catskillcomics.com

Pages that are blue lines, are printed pages of artwork.

Pages that are blue penciled, are rendered pages of artwork with a non-

reproducible blue pencil (this color does not show up well when inked and

scanned.)

You can tell the difference when in hand because the non-reproducible blue

pencil is waxy and has a sheen to it. There might also be eraser marks to

the paper. This kind of pencil sucks when using some inks, because it

does not hold the ink.

So is blue line the reproduction of art by an artist that already works in blue pencil --or to facilitate inks from an artist that works with a graphite pencil?

Dennis