• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Off topic- A computer question DELETED

37 posts in this topic

Brilliant!

I probably should have tried that before making an arse of myself.

Oh well, this threads about to be deleted. DENY, DENY, DENY!!!

Speaking of off topic computer questions, here's my problem: all forums & threads with new posts are highlighted, when I click on a thread & then click "Back", the highlight disappears. That's the way it was. However, I did a DiscCleanup & deleted some Temporary Internet Files which were supposedly unneeded according to DiscCleanup. Now, when I browse & click "Back" the highlight remains as if I had not clicked on it to begin with. 893frustrated.gif If I then "Refresh" then the highlight goes away. Frustrating as Hell.

So if anyone with knowledge on browsers, Temporary Internet Files, cookies, etc...... can help me out it would be appreciated. Basically, I want to get my browser back to where it was when I could click the "Back" button & have the highlight disappear without refreshing.

Now, when I browse & click "Back" the highlight remains as if I had not clicked on it to begin with.

Maybe you deleted the cookie that keeps you logged in. Check up at the top and see if you see Login or Logout. If it says Login, that may be the problem. (Just login again.)

Maybe you deleted the cookie that keeps you logged in. Check up at the top and see if you see Login or Logout. If it says Login, that may be the problem. (Just login again.)

No, it says "logout". What ticks me off is that the DiscCleanup program recommended that I delete those files. 893censored-thumb.gif

Try logout, then do a disk clean up, then login and get a fresh cookie.

That worked for me on another message board that was kicking me out all the time.

Try logout, then do a disk clean up, then login and get a fresh cookie.

That worked for me on another message board that was kicking me out all the time.

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work. Can anyone else help me out? confused.gif Anyone who comes up with the solution gets 5 stars from me & my friends, & my eternal gratitude. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What ticks me off is that the DiscCleanup program recommended that I delete those files.

Thing is, the best any program like that can do is make generalizations based on the most popular criteria. Most of the time the generalizations are accurate but sometimes they are not.

PS - I have a dislike of disk cleanup programs because if the wrong things get deleted, well, you'd need some skills and tools to reboot your system and get it back and running without resorting to a reinstall or pro help. Not trying to sound the paranoia alarm. For internet type celanup just using Tools Internet Options "Delete Files" with "all offline content" selected and, should I desire to, Delete Cookies is all I need.

Any suggestions for me buddy? hi.gif

Best thing I can suggest is to do the following:

1) Logout

2) Go to another web site or a blank page

3) Choose (if you are using Internet Explorer) Tools-Internet Options-Delete Cookies

4) Choose (if you are using Internet Explorer) Tools-Internet Options-Delete Files (also choose Delete All Offline Content)

5) Return here and login again

May work - may not.

Now, when I browse & click "Back" the highlight remains as if I had not clicked on it to begin with.

Ahhh - ding ding ding. Well, that is what SHOULD happen as "back" shoukld load from cache. Instead of clicking Back click on the Boards Menu MAIN Index. It is still a click like clicking Back but it will refresh the display for you.

Ahhh - ding ding ding. Well, that is what SHOULD happen as "back" shoukld load from cache. Instead of clicking Back click on the Boards Menu MAIN Index. It is still a click like clicking Back but it will refresh the display for you.

Actually POV......my computer works like he says his used to. I can click on a thread, read it, then simply hit the back button. Then that thread is no longer highlighted as unread for me. It makes it more convenient that way than clicking on "Main Index" and then clicking on the forum you were originally in or having to hit refresh all the time. confused-smiley-013.gif

Arch suggested that & it works just fine. However, I'd much rather click "Back" & have it automatically refresh as it was before for me.

Actually POV......my computer works like he says his used to. I can click on a thread, read it, then simply hit the back button. Then that thread is no longer highlighted as unread for me. It makes it more convenient that way than clicking on "Main Index" and then clicking on the forum you were originally in or having to hit refresh all the time. confused-smiley-013.gif

Exactly. thumbsup2.gif

Okay...it gets weirder... after reading this thread, I realized that I too had this problem... Originally, I'd see the threads "unhighlighted" after reading them and returning to the "index" page. After reading this thread I realized this no longer happened. So I tried simply refreshing my browser (Windows IE 6.0.2800.1106), and the most recent thread I'd looked at became unhighlighted.

*Now when I go look at a thread and come back to the 'index' page, the thread I just looked at is unhighlighted... so it may be that you're just one step from making this work the way you want... do this:

1) after reading this post, click "back."

2) from the 'index' page hit "refresh"

3) go to another thread, and click "back" again...

...this worked for me, but it could be specific to the version of IE I'm using, or something else...

OK - I believe I have the answer.

Go to Tools - Internet Options - Temporary Internet FIles - Settings

browse1.jpg

From there click on the selection to Check For newer Versions of Stored Pages "Every Visit To The Page".

browse2.jpg

I think that should do it.