• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: AMAZON Buy 1 Get 1 Free Blu-Ray sale

90 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, I think Blu-Ray is going to become the Betamax of high definition video. The PS3 is really what's keeping it alive.

Blu-Ray are much more expensive to manufacture than HD-DVD due to the cost of fabrication equipment and the poor yield percentage of usable discs. I think it's only a matter of time before the industry fully settles on HD-DVD, but ya might as well smoke 'em if ya got 'em. Sounds like a good deal on movies if you already have a player.

:news:

Hold that phone. Just announced today - APPLE is backing Blu-Ray and will be shipping MACs with BluRay drives :o

Toshiba and Microsoft may be making headway because of their willingness to take losses on hardware, but the quality of the current product is in question.

Many HD DVD users, such as myself, have been getting the generic "408bc504 cannot read disc error". I've read a dozen different possible fixes, from firmware updates, to washing a factory new disk with warm water and soap, and all work to varying degrees. It can be anything, from a bad disk to a smudged disk, to whatever. It seems to occur most often on the Combo HD-DVD/regular DVD disks.

Out of Four HD-DVD disks, three have given me this error. All four were freshly cracked from a factory seal, and carefully put into the player. They appeared to be fine visibly. The player will freeze, is unable to read or go back/forward over the bad spot in the disk, and a return to the main menu is neccessary.

The error has been a headache now for over a year and Toshiba has done little to address it.

I'm gravitating toward Blu Ray right now, simply because I haven't been impressed with the quality of the HD DVD offerings.

Unfortunately, I think Blu-Ray is going to become the Betamax of high definition video. The PS3 is really what's keeping it alive.

Blu-Ray are much more expensive to manufacture than HD-DVD due to the cost of fabrication equipment and the poor yield percentage of usable discs. I think it's only a matter of time before the industry fully settles on HD-DVD, but ya might as well smoke 'em if ya got 'em. Sounds like a good deal on movies if you already have a player.

:news:

Hold that phone. Just announced today - APPLE is backing Blu-Ray and will be shipping MACs with BluRay drives :o

Toshiba and Microsoft may be making headway because of their willingness to take losses on hardware, but the quality of the current product is in question.

Many HD DVD users, such as myself, have been getting the generic "408bc504 cannot read disc error". I've read a dozen different possible fixes, from firmware updates, to washing a factory new disk with warm water and soap, and all work to varying degrees. It can be anything, from a bad disk to a smudged disk, to whatever. It seems to occur most often on the Combo HD-DVD/regular DVD disks.

Out of Four HD-DVD disks, three have given me this error. All four were freshly cracked from a factory seal, and carefully put into the player. They appeared to be fine visibly. The player will freeze, is unable to read or go back/forward over the bad spot in the disk, and a return to the main menu is neccessary.

The error has been a headache now for over a year and Toshiba has done little to address it.

I'm gravitating toward Blu Ray right now, simply because I haven't been impressed with the quality of the HD DVD offerings.

Wow, I just got a Toshiba A2 player in November but haven't had any problems yet accept it locked up a couple of times while in a regular dvd menu screen. It's played all my HD and SD movies so far.

I bought a Samsung Blu-Ray player last month also. I bought two of the Harry Potter movies(Chamber of Secrets and Goblet of Fire) Blu-Ray on Amazon last night for $15.96!!!! I'm glad I took advantage of that deal while it lasted.

I probably won't buy another player until the format war is resolved

Not very likely...BR sold 7 out of every 10 Hi-Def movies this Christmas season. Also, major DvD sellers (Wal-Mart, Target and Best Buy) are reducing HDDVD shelf space and replacing them with BR. Finally, even though there was a $100 cheaper HDDVD player on the market, BR players (not counting PS3) outsold them 2-1 during Christmas...

Jim

I haven't had any trouble with my HDDVD player that plugs into my xbox 360.

Disney backs Blu Ray as well, however with HD DVD being a Microsoft backed product, I would be stupid to bet against them.

Disney backs Blu Ray as well, however with HD DVD being a Microsoft backed product, I would be stupid to bet against them.

Warner will be a driving factor. They are the only major studio still producing for both. And the rumor mill is they will back one in the next couple months...and from previous statements it looks like they're swaying towards BR...

Jim

1.00 :takeit:

You get "Pregnancy for Dummies" then... lol

:tonofbricks:

2 disc set :baiting:

No love for a fellow NYer :sorry:
:foryou: Where in NY are you hiding?
Live in Woodhaven, work in Forest Hills.. you?

Lake Carmel work in Manhattan :P

Warner will be a driving factor. They are the only major studio still producing for both. And the rumor mill is they will back one in the next couple months...and from previous statements it looks like they're swaying towards BR...

Jim

Blu-Ray + Sony + Apple + next gen next gen = :acclaim:

1.00 :takeit:

You get "Pregnancy for Dummies" then... lol

:tonofbricks:

2 disc set :baiting:

No love for a fellow NYer :sorry:
:foryou: Where in NY are you hiding?
Live in Woodhaven, work in Forest Hills.. you?

Lake Carmel work in Manhattan :P

Brooklyn here, warehouse in Jersey. Yeah the commute sucks!!