• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: AMAZON Buy 1 Get 1 Free Blu-Ray sale

90 posts in this topic

Some of the other shoes are starting to drop...

New Line, a minor studio who was HD neutral, threw their support behind Blu-Ray. There are also rumors Universal will come out changing their sole support for HDDvD maybe as soon as this week.

Also, the HDDvD folks have canceled their program slated to be held during this week's major CES expo in Vegas. That should tell you everything you need about where HDDvD stands at the moment.

Jim

I have found myself spending a lot of time on a high def forum lately the past few months and to go there now people are ready to jump off buildings. I can't feel sorry for the HD-DVD fan as I never understood why anyone would choose that side in the first place. Smaller disc size, inferior audio and less studio support...were they just voting for the underdog? Who I do feel sorry for is Joe Six Pack who just got an HD-DVD for X-Mas, he's the one who gets hurt in this, not the early adopters that knew there was a chance for either side to fail.

HD-DVD "the look and sound of obsolete"

Jim

I have found myself spending a lot of time on a high def forum lately the past few months and to go there now people are ready to jump off buildings. I can't feel sorry for the HD-DVD fan as I never understood why anyone would choose that side in the first place. Smaller disc size, inferior audio and less studio support...were they just voting for the underdog? Who I do feel sorry for is Joe Six Pack who just got an HD-DVD for X-Mas, he's the one who gets hurt in this, not the early adopters that knew there was a chance for either side to fail.

HD-DVD "the look and sound of obsolete"

Jim

Yeah, it blows. However, HD-DVD isn't dead entirely and chances are that there will be mult-format players in the stores for under $300 by next Christmas. Add in an internal HD for downloads and DIVX support, and you can do any format you choose.

Too many HD DVD players were sold this holiday season (at a loss to boot) for the format to go the way of BetaMax anytime soon.

Maybe I am just consoling myself for buying an HD DVD player too early, but the deal was great ($233 vs $399 retail) and the freebies (17 DVDs) were plentiful.

Those who are really out are the ones that shelled out $399-$599 retail for the players with little or nothing in the way of free discs. Many of those only do 1080i also, another nail in the coffin.

:news:

:news:

For those of you who bought on this 2 for 1 special; AMAZON just came out with another blowout special with BLURAY disks at 52% off. And I am being told that AMAZON will price match this because its less than 30 days.

So for example:

In the ORIGINAL promo buy 1 get 1 free say you bought DIE HARD 1 & 3 for $27.95 each. Instead of paying nearly $60, the deal was both for only $27.95

WELL NOW DIE HARD 1 & 3 are selling for only $19.95 each, which would lower your cost another $4 per BLURAY DVD. In other words you would get both for only $9.95 each on a price adjusted cost.

Some people have called customer service and some have done it via Amazon contact email.

Here is the new list & a bunch of these were also on the buy 1 get 1 free list:

AMAZON New BLURAY Promo