• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Asked a million times...

23 posts in this topic

Newbie question. Where do you get info on what prices OA sells for? Is there a web page like CGA or is it just learning the market?

What are some good sources of OA? Any dealers particularly good or bad?

Newbie question. Where do you get info on what prices OA sells for? Is there a web page like CGA or is it just learning the market?

What are some good sources of OA? Any dealers particularly good or bad?

www.comicartfans.com is a great place to start. Small yearly fee for market data.

Has anyone dealt with kwanchang.com recently? Any info on how flexible on prices they might be or if the ever sell on eBay?

I have known Kwan for years, when he has room to lower the price he will let you know. Never had a problem dealing with him.

I have dealt with Kwan and he's a good guy. He's easy to deal with and is flexible on prices. He sells on ebay as kwan. (with the period).

I bought from him twice in the last six months. Once on ebay and the other through emails, where we went back and forth on price until we were both happy.

Hope it helps

how accurate is the market pricing at CAF? how is it set up search wise?

thanks,

It's a searchable database of art auctions from eBay, Heritage and the like. So while it will show you what a page sold for at auction - it doesn't tell you what market value really is.

I've played with it during free trials and liked what I saw, but never paid the extra cash to use the full version. I don't buy a lot of art - and what I do buy I know the market for pretty well, so I didn't think it was worth it for me.

I find the search to be a bit frustrating for eBay auctions as it only finds the titles of old auctions and not descriptions. There are lots of times when sellers have a rather generic title and I can't tell what issue or page it relates to.

-Bob

It's not perfect, for all the reason mentioned already. Also, it's far from complete.

Still, I've found it quite useful to track certain pieces and it does give a general "market value" for heavily traded artists. It's saved me a buck or two, so no complaints here...

You also have a great resource in these boards. I've found collectors here are very eager to help newbies. Have fun and good luck!

You also have a great resource in these boards. I've found collectors here are very eager to help newbies. Have fun and good luck!

Alright, then. I've been an Avengers fan since I was a kid and I like some of the New Avengers covers that kwanchange.com has. They are one-of-a-kinds and I'd like to have a piece of what I think is the best run of Avengers comics since the early 70s. What I don't know is if the prices are what covers for a book this popular are really worth. Any feedback would be appreciated.

New Avengers 34 Cover

New Avengers 33 Cover

Asked a million times...KWAN Love

Aaahh... I thought this was gonna be about Michelle Kwan... :cloud9:

p1_kwan.jpg

When I was a teenager, I used to go ice-skating several times a week.

I can just picture myself gliding in rapidly behind her . . . :grin:

Alright, then. I've been an Avengers fan since I was a kid and I like some of the New Avengers covers that kwanchange.com has. They are one-of-a-kinds and I'd like to have a piece of what I think is the best run of Avengers comics since the early 70s. What I don't know is if the prices are what covers for a book this popular are really worth. Any feedback would be appreciated.

New Avengers 34 Cover

New Avengers 33 Cover

I wouldn't pay that for any modern cover personally

And I wouldn't pay that much for a penciled cover.

That said, I realize that the days of the $100 cover are long gone. It seems as if more and more of today's artists start their cover artwork prices at four figures if the subject matter is any popular DC or Marvel comic.

You can find a Leinil Yu Lone Wolf & Cub cover for $500 at one dealer or Yu Wolverine panel pages at $40 and up from another. But if you really, really want a New Avengers cover...well, friend, you're stuck.

I'm not in the market for a Yu cover, so this would just be a general observation. Modern covers from the Big 2 generally start at $1K and move up depending on the artist. Right now, Yu is hot. I'd compare him to a David Finch, someone whose stuff is highly sought after and who generally produces pencil-only art. A Finch cover would run you around $3K currently.

Can't say if that's fair or if the value will hold. It just seems to be what they're going for these days.

You can also write Kwan and see if he can give you a break on the price. If you can swing it, paying all-cash does incentivize some sellers to give a discount.

Good luck!

Looking around I get the feeling that the price includes a 'hot artist' + 'hot title' premium. It's probably not the ideal choice for a someone who hasn't collected OA.