• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this Conan #1 if you please...and others to follow

20 posts in this topic

Some of you may recall that I recently snagged the first 27 issues of Conan on E-Bay..I'm generally pleased with this lot and feel it was well worth my $230 buy price. Most of these comics are extremely glossy and reflective. The seller labeled most of them between F and VF, but I feel some of them are on the high end. Wanted to post the first issue initially and I'm going to post a few more as the week goes on....these are all some nice books!

As for this No. 1, I think 7.0...what about everyone else? Obviously, there's some wear along the left, top-edge and a slight chip along the top at the right...

Here's the front....

And here's the back....

It look slike a sweet enough copy. But aside fromhe top as you pointed out, and the top staple which looks extended with some wear around it...I dunno, it looks kinda "soft" overall. And with so many copies around, the bar is set prety high right?

Im not sure it even gets an 8.5... buts Im not an expert on CGC grades for these high middle grades. But as you know, theyre TOUGH!

I thought I'd mention check the spine edge on that Conan 17. What I mean is the part that doesn't show up on cover scans. That book can commonly look like a higher grade but many times has lots of white showing on the edge. I thought I had a 9.6-9.8 until I noticed a slight bit of damage on the edge that reduced it to a 9.4.

I'd say the Conan 1 looks like a 7.0 or so, even given that this book is fairly common (I'm sorry we even have to be factoring in the relative rarity and/or age of the book when trying to determine it's condition!)... But I have a different question:

What's going on with the lower right corner? Is the bottom of the cover tinged with a white border, or is it mis-cut so some of the interior is exposed (in which case the pages are definitely WHITE smile.gif) ??

Other than that one puzzling issue, I think it's a pretty solid FN/VF.