• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was/is the best Iron Man artist?

85 posts in this topic

Don Heck -- especially when he was inking himself.

Gene Colan

All Tales of Suspense with Stan Lee plotting.

Dennis

p.s. I guess I am going to be blasphemous here, but someone needs to convince why Layton is so good. Good story teller? I've seen that cover to #128 many times. Is this a representation of his best? The clothing isn't convincing, the face lacks dimension, the perspective on the chest plate is wrong, why is there no refraction through the curved glass? -- lots of fine line work does not good art make. The entire composition looks flat... the fault of the inker? Too much pen and not enough brush? The use of the mirror should allow some interesting justaposition of foreground, middleground and background...

Perhaps, someone might post an example of his best work.

Bob Layton easily. Then Romita Jr. (before he got bad in my opinion). Iron Man has been one of Marvel's ignored titles and as a result had some pretty bad art over the years.

The King weighs in!! :headbang:

And when I weigh in, I weigh in! :sumo:

I actually like Ditko and Heck's art as well. But Tuska and Colan's art fails to impressive me. Pretty much most of TOS is good, but when Iron Man got his own title it sucked until Layton came in.

Let me see...what is it about the Layton armor that KoR likes the best? What could it be?? hm

The armored nipples. :banana:

Pierced? Any tattoos? :P

Maybe. Ask Layton at one of the conventions. Tony Stark may have lived a secret life at some tattoo shop whenever he had free time. You never know... :insane:

Okay I'm in. Can't beat 'em, join 'em. Pierced armored starburst nipple shields Janet Jackson style :banana:

Don Heck -- especially when he was inking himself.

Gene Colan

All Tales of Suspense with Stan Lee plotting.

Dennis

p.s. I guess I am going to be blasphemous here, but someone needs to convince why Layton is so good. Good story teller? I've seen that cover to #128 many times. Is this a representation of his best? The clothing isn't convincing, the face lacks dimension, the perspective on the chest plate is wrong, why is there no refraction through the curved glass? -- lots of fine line work does not good art make. The entire composition looks flat... the fault of the inker? Too much pen and not enough brush? The use of the mirror should allow some interesting justaposition of foreground, middleground and background...

Perhaps, someone might post an example of his best work.

Dimension and perspective? While the perspective on the chest plate is a bit off on that cover, he definitely made better use of both of those elements than Don Heck did. I like Heck's work in Iron Man most of the time, but he was not really that good at either of those. In fact his work was often quite one dimensional and flat. Heck was great at conveying a story through his art...however his artwork was not that refined. I find his artwork to change dramatically in quality from issue to issue. I read TOS #51 recently (one of the worst I've read from the run), and Heck's artwork was pretty bad in that one. If you want to talk dimension and perspective I'd say Layton is one of the best overall.

Gene Colan is alright. I like him on other books more than Iron Man. He always gave Tony Stark a cow lick in his hair which always bothers me.

Jack Kirby...but I'm prejudiced...

ironman80.jpg

Kirby is my second favorite artist of all time, but that cover is horrible. :sick: 70s Kirby should be erased from this history books. He was a senior citizen by then--those shouldn't count against him.

Jack Kirby...but I'm prejudiced...

ironman80.jpg

Kirby is my second favorite artist of all time, but that cover is horrible. :sick: 70s Kirby should be erased from this history books. He was a senior citizen by then--those shouldn't count against him.

I love that cover. :shy:

Yes! Layton sunbursts! I count four sunbursts on that splash page alone. The only artist to match Layton on Iron Man sunburst count was Perez. I love da sunbursts (and armored nipples)!

Sunbursts, little sparkly things, shiny armor, what ever it is you wanna call it, you finally answered my question!! Though, I now know you like -- eh hem --- armored nipples too. I knew the former but who would have guessed the latter?? Craaaaaaa-zy :insane:

That Iron Man vs Hulk scene was from Iron Man #132.

Artist: Jerry Bingham

Finished Art/Plot: Bob Layton

Layton was an inker, primarily, but I still think you have to give him the bulk of the credit for that Iron Man run. Johnny Romita Jr. deserves to be up there too, but Layton seemed to dominate whoever he inked and he really set the tone. Plus Layton did all the covers...

That Iron Man vs Hulk scene was from Iron Man #132.

Artist: Jerry Bingham

Finished Art/Plot: Bob Layton

Layton was an inker, primarily, but I still think you have to give him the bulk of the credit for that Iron Man run. Johnny Romita Jr. deserves to be up there too, but Layton seemed to dominate whoever he inked and he really set the tone. Plus Layton did all the covers...

Not all of them. He inked Romita Jr. on a few....

001BOBIM126.jpg

IM149A.jpg

Adi Granov did the first arc that redefined Iron Man for the current modern series. His issues are worth a look: Extremis (#1-6)

not too many modern fans on these boards..understandable. I can't tolerate too many modern books myself.

B Layton is classic Iron Man. But after reading Extremis, Adi G has indeed redefined Iron Man's modern look. He might be the best one since...