• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shock Suspenstories # 1 Crypt of Terror # 17 grades?

11 posts in this topic

Here are some nice E.C. books for your Halloween enjoyment.

What do you think they'd grade at? (I have my own idea but I'd like an unbiased opinion).

http://rushcomics.freewebpage.org/Shock1.jpg

http://rushcomics.freewebpage.org/Shock1b.jpg

For those of you who don't know (E.C. fans know) Crypt of Terror # 17 is sort of the "Action #1" of EC horror comics. :-)

http://rushcomics.freewebpage.org/Crypt.jpg

http://rushcomics.freewebpage.org/Cryptb.jpg

Well, now I'd be curious to get more opinions. :-)

I had my own ideas in my head--and I was in agreement and disagreement with both of you.

I thought the Shock Suspenstories was an 8.0 (may be even a little better, like an 8.5) and the Crypt of Terror a 6.0 (may be even a little worse, like a 5.5.)

Did you see any specific defects on the SST you think would keep it *out* of 8.0?

How would you grade my Marvel Mysterys in the other post?

Thanks for your help,

Charlie

Did you see any specific defects on the SST you think would keep it *out* of 8.0?

Well, the slight spine roll, the pen mark across the guy's face, and the slight dust shadow down the right edge are the primary (*visible*) defects, based on this scan. I'm not sure CGC would really penalize the book for ANY of those, however, so it may garner a higher grade than 7.5 or even 8.0 from them...

How would you grade my Marvel Mysterys in the other post?

Already did... smile.gif

Hi everybody,

Me again. I got some more books back from CGC. I got some happy news--and some very disturbing news.

Some nice, high grades on a few books. (Once I resolve my darn scanner issues, I look forward to putting up some beautiful pictures of some nice high grade, universal grade Golden Age books!)

I even confirmed my suspicion about one of my Actions--it's a pedigree! They noted it as the "D-Copy!" I'll post a picture once I get myself a new scanner.

Oh, and the Shock Suspense # 1 -- it's an 8.0, universal grade, no other condition notes. :-)

Disturbing news: A couple of my books (sold to me as unrestored) came back with the 'ole purple label (albeit slight).

The Crypt of Terror 17 I showed you was one of those.

I didn't expect a particularly high grade--but I *really* didn't expect an apparent 5.0 Slight (A) "Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover, glue on cover."

I'm thinking, considering this is pretty much a super-key (the first EC horror book!) since I've got a purple label on it anyway, my best bet at this point may be to send it along to Matt Wilson or someone and at least try to upgrade the 5.0 to a 8.0 or so, and get that (A) changed to a (P). That might also mean changing the "slight" to a "moderate," but I think it would be worth it. In fact--since it's already in a purple label, I figure I have nothing to lose. It's not like I can make it unrestored again.

Any other opinions?

(I wish I didn't sent it in--ignorance was bliss!)

Charlie

Actually, many restoration pros can remove either Amateur or Pro restoration, depending on the type and extent of resto. Given that it received a 5.0 and looks like it could improve significantly with the right work, having P restoration done seems like a viable option. But I would also explore the option of having the existing resto removed, and whether that would likely change the grade of the book. A moderately restored VF 8.0 copy might sell for more than a non-restored ("unrestored"?) VG/FN 5.0, but I wouldn't assume that...

May be I'll hold out until I resolve my scanner issues--which I *must* do soon, if I'm going to make some money on these CGC books! At that time, for fun, may be I'll scan all but the labels and let you guess the grade first, before revealing. (I wish I scanned them all pre-CGC, then it wouldn't be such a big deal!)

Some other nice ones I got back (again, may be I'll hold back on the grades for now):

Superman # 35, Captain America Comics # 53, Young Allies # 7, Amazing Spider-man # 11, X-Men # 3.. off the top of my head. Plus a few others. I can't believe, I can't recall the issue number of the Action Comic I got back. A '40s Action "D-copy!"