• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man Values Rose 44% from 2002 to 2007

80 posts in this topic

14 issues left 'til a Full HG Run!

(with AF 15ASM 52 CGC'ed)

:cloud9:

(worship) What 14 issues are you down too?

1, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 24, 40, 41...

I currently am half way saved up for ASM 1 that I hope to snag in '08.

I like collecting, but I hate debt - I only buy what I have to spend

(that has been my rule of thumb since the start, no cense in breaking it now)

:wishluck:

I am doing the same stuff right now with those same issues, good luck to you!

Gold has universal value and therefore replaces barter and all of the inefficiencies from barter trading. Unlike all currencies throughout history, it has never lost its universal value as money. Because the dollar currently is universally accepted, has all the qualities of money (divisible, portable, durable) it has become the standard. That is until the government makes it non-universally accepted by making too much of it.

Gold has universal value and therefore replaces barter and all of the inefficiencies from barter trading. Unlike all currencies throughout history, it has never lost its universal value as money. Because the dollar currently is universally accepted, has all the qualities of money (divisible, portable, durable) it has become the standard. That is until the government makes it non-universally accepted by making too much of it.

I do appreciate the eloquent case that has been made for gold in times of government instability or loss of confidence in currency. I personally do not think that inflation is going to get out of control because the money supply is not significantly growing. I therefore expect the gold bubble to burst - eventually. But that's just one woman's opinion. (shrug)

IMHO, gold's growth, when looked at over a long enough period of time, should approximate the rate of inflation. I'm still pegging gold at about 4 - 5% per year as I quoted earlier. High-grade, key comic books have done a lot better than that. I therefore stand by the statement in my blog.

While investing in comics may be worse than investing in stocks, mutual funds or real estate, it is arguably a better investment than gold, the lottery, day-trading, cars or any number of other places you could put your money. Just because it's not the best investment for your money, it is far from the worst. If you get personal satisfaction from owning the books, the investment returns are a bonus.

OTOH, nobody knows what these books will do in the future. :wishluck:

I do appreciate the eloquent case that has been made for gold in times of government instability or loss of confidence in currency. I personally do not think that inflation is going to get out of control because the money supply is not significantly growing. I therefore expect the gold bubble to burst - eventually. But that's just one woman's opinion. (shrug)

IMHO, gold's growth, when looked at over a long enough period of time, should approximate the rate of inflation. I'm still pegging gold at about 4 - 5% per year as I quoted earlier. High-grade, key comic books have done a lot better than that. I therefore stand by the statement in my blog.

While investing in comics may be worse than investing in stocks, mutual funds or real estate, it is arguably a better investment than gold, the lottery, day-trading, cars or any number of other places you could put your money. Just because it's not the best investment for your money, it is far from the worst. If you get personal satisfaction from owning the books, the investment returns are a bonus.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, forgive the lack of chivalry in the tone of my text, but....

you are not seriously trying to say that you believe comic books are more valuable than gold? at any time, on any level? at any point in human existence, are you? hm that would quite frankly be, nuts!

Gold is universal, ubiquitous, comic books are not...they are a luxury, a hobby, at best, a marginal commodity. They may indeed be considered tangeble assets by some perhaps, but if the world goes 'boom boom'...try selling/trading your comic books for food or favor.

you are not seriously trying to say that you believe comic books are more valuable than gold? at any time, on any level? at any point in human existence, are you? hm that would quite frankly be, nuts!

Gold is universal, ubiquitous, comic books are not...they are a luxury, a hobby, at best, a marginal commodity. They may indeed be considered tangeble assets by some perhaps, but if the world goes 'boom boom'...try selling/trading your comic books for food or favor.

I will gladly trade you an ounce of gold for an Amazing Spider-man #1 in CGC 4.0 or better (blue label of course). Actually, I'll give you two ounces.

Who said the world is going "boom boom?"

I will gladly trade you an ounce of gold for an Amazing Spider-man #1 in CGC 4.0 or better (blue label of course). Actually, I'll give you two ounces.

Who said the world is going "boom boom?"

I believe what he meant is that as a global unit of worth comics are not the tool. If the economy were to say take a plunge and keep plunging I guarantee your comics wouldn't be worth what gold is/was.

Reason being is that we do not need comics to live but we do need money. Comics are bought and spent with money that we can spare. If nobody has extra money, then the comics are worthless. Comics are only worth what people will pay and if nobody is buying, then it might as well be worth nothing.

Now, lets say I have 2 ounces of gold, and you have an ASM #1. Let's say the country is in a 1930ish depression. Who do you think gets to eat first? You with your comic, or me with my 2 gold coins?

Now, lets say you have 2 ounces of gold, and an ASM #1. Let's say the country is in a 1930ish depression. Who do you think gets to eat first? You with your comic, or me with my 2 gold coins?

You gave her both 2 ounces of gold AND an ASM #1. So she's quite happily eating AND reading a classic comic! :baiting:

Gold is also a luxury. It wouldn't hold the value it does otherwise.

Now, lets say I have 2 ounces of gold, and you have an ASM #1. Let's say the country is in a 1930ish depression. Who do you think gets to eat first? You with your comic, or me with my 2 gold coins?

In this economy, right now, the ASM #1 is more valuable, and (in my opinion) a better investment, than two ounces of gold.

I never said anything about comics being a better investment in a depression or monetary crisis. I said just the opposite.

Perhaps, but more so, it's a currency...and that's the HUGE inherent difference here hm

Perhaps, but more so, it's a currency...and that's the HUGE inherent difference here hm

And yet I don't see you offering her an Amazing Spider-Man 1 for two onces of gold. hm(shrug)

And yet I don't see you offering her an Amazing Spider-Man 1 for two onces of gold. hm(shrug)

Why would I????

I have zero need for her gold, and I do have a DESIRE for my books...but if the world were to flip (this is the point folks) as CS wrote a few posts back, try selling that book of picture paper to survive...it would become worthLESS in a survival of the fittest norm hm

Remember, most luxury items have a PERCIEVED value, not a ubiquitous value.

An over-inflated currency due to humans fascination with all things shiny.

Yeah, but mankind has been fascinated by gold for 3,000+ years. It will always have value due to all of its qualities I mentioned above...heck, given its universal appeal, it's appeal may even be genetic!

It is far-fetched to say gold is a "luxury item" - it is a critical component of many industrial and technological processes and applications, not to mention its use in jewelry and coinage. It's even a part of all/most nation's currency reserves. Comic books on the other hand? Short history, limited appeal, bubble-levels of price appreciation over the last 15-20 years...not to mention the largest market by far for American comic books is the U.S., which, sad to say, may have seen its best days in the past the way things have been going. Meanwhile, some of the strongest engines of global economic growth are coming from countries like China and India which have a long tradition and huge cultural affinity for gold (and other assets/objects other than comic books). hm

I might also mention that CycleGirl's comic book returns have been in U.S. dollar terms - they must look positively dreadful in Canadian & Australian dollar, pound sterling and euro terms. Meanwhile, gold continues to advance higher in all currency terms. :juggle:

Yeah, but mankind has been fascinated by gold for 3,000+ years. It will always have value due to all of its qualities I mentioned above...heck, given its universal appeal, it's appeal may even be genetic!

It is far-fetched to say gold is a "luxury item" - it is a critical component of many industrial and technological processes and applications, not to mention its use in jewelry and coinage. It's even a part of all/most nation's currency reserves. Comic books on the other hand? Short history, limited appeal, bubble-levels of price appreciation over the last 15-20 years...not to mention the largest market by far for American comic books is the U.S., which, sad to say, may have seen in best days in the past the way things have been going. Meanwhile, some of the strongest engines of global economic growth are coming from countries like China and India which have a long tradition and huge cultural affinity for gold (and other assets/objects other than comic books). hm

I might also mention that CycleGirl's comic book returns have been in U.S. dollar terms - they must look positively dreadful in Canadian & Australian dollar, pound sterling and euro terms. Meanwhile, gold continues to advance higher in all currency terms. :juggle:

I'm not arguing that comics are a better investment. I just think the 'value' of gold is inflated. If people didn't care about gold watches, jewelry, etc.....it's value would be substantially less IMO. It's a status symbol. (shrug)

We could argue this all day. The point of this thread was CycleGirl's interpretation of the facts. She simple observed that had you bought a CGC Amazing Spider-Man in 2002 for x amount and sold it in 2007 for y amount, you would have made a net profit of 44%. Why this always becomes a 'better' investment discussion is beyond my understanding. It's like some people have something to prove.

It's a passion and a hobby, not means to instant wealth. I think everyone here is old enough to understand that. (shrug)

I'm not surprised at the results. a 44% increase over 5 years seems pretty darn good to me consider the dollar is in the tank.

Buffy;

Not sure if I follow your line of reasoning here! (shrug)

Since the value of comics are basically denominated in terms of US dollars, the severe drop of the US currency over the past 5 years would actually turn this 44% return into a negative return. For example, the value of the US dollar has dropped by something like 60% to 65% over the value of the Canadian dollar over the past 5 years.

Not sure of what the drop over the Euro and some of the other major currencies are, but would not be surprised if it was more than 44% over the past 5 years. hm