• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man Values Rose 44% from 2002 to 2007

80 posts in this topic

I'm several weeks late with this. I guess Christmas this year was a little busier than I expected. Oh well, better late than never!

In this article, I'm introducing the first title-specific index. The most successful title of the Silver Age - The Amazing Spider-man. The graph below shows how selected key issues have increased in value from 2002 to 2007.

asm2002to2007.png

The complete article can be viewed here.

Please let me know what you think!!

Makes sense. I collected ASM from a short time in 2003-2004 and I casually take note of the prices. They have indeed risen, no doubt. It's absolutely the most liquid title one can have in a collection...and it's also a complete bore from a challenge perspective. I guess that's why I sold 'em.

Really? Only 44%? A $100 Spidey book in '02 is now only $144 now...5 years & 2 sequels later?

Gotta admit I'm surprised; don't follow the title personally, but with it's top-tier standing I expected more...?

Rick

I think that it's because prices were already high by 2002 when GPA started collecting data. This table is also in the article.

asmtable2002to2007.png

Other titles did do better (e.g. X-Men, Iron Man), in percentage terms but their prices are still a lot lower.

I'm not surprised at the results. a 44% increase over 5 years seems pretty darn good to me consider the dollar is in the tank.

I agree. 7.6% per year is nothing to sneeze at.

It's actually a good thing that we're not seeing a bubble. It's pretty ugly when a bubble bursts!

Really? Only 44%? A $100 Spidey book in '02 is now only $144 now...5 years & 2 sequels later?

Gotta admit I'm surprised; don't follow the title personally, but with it's top-tier standing I expected more...?

Rick

I think that it's because prices were already high by 2002 when GPA started collecting data. This table is also in the article.

asmtable2002to2007.png

Other titles did do better (e.g. X-Men, Iron Man), in percentage terms but their prices are still a lot lower.

I'm sure this 44% appreciation rate is for a blend of all Spidey sales......if you were to isolate just key issues in high grade, betcha' the appreciation rate would be more like 144%

...just my 2c

Makes sense. I collected ASM from a short time in 2003-2004 and I casually take note of the prices. They have indeed risen, no doubt. It's absolutely the most liquid title one can have in a collection...and it's also a complete bore from a challenge perspective. I guess that's why I sold 'em.

While I am not surprised, it is the SA/BA title I see most at shows.

I suppose that is because it brings in the $'s... but there *seems* to be a lot of it out there. hm

That's probably right - it's easy to remember certain outlier sales in recent years and think they are representative of the market as a whole. People who weren't active in the CGC market back in the 2000-2002 era may not know that the supply of CGC books was highly constrained and there were certain collectors, some who are no longer active (Danten311 comes to mind - there was seemingly no price too high for him), competing for and snapping up the few really high grade Spideys out there at what now must look like ludicrous prices.

For real lunacy, you guys should have seen what HG PPSS #1s were fetching in the early days of CGC before the Census started to overflow with them - I remember talking to some collector out there who was hoarding 9.8s at nosebleed levels thinking there would never be more than a handful of them! doh!

There were prices paid around 2001-2002 (especially in the run-up to the first film release) for Spideys that will likely NEVER be exceeded. Heck, I should know - I paid over $2K for an ASM #122 9.6 back then (and have numerous other dubious purchases to my credit) back when there were only a handful of 9.6s and only 1 9.8 in the Census! I am quite certain that a fair number of issues in grade have *depreciated* since their 2002 highs. So, 44% does not strike me as being particularly low or high considering the wide range of performances among the various issues in the various grades.

That's probably right - it's easy to remember certain outlier sales in recent years and think they are representative of the market as a whole. People who weren't active in the CGC market back in the 2000-2002 era may not know that the supply of CGC books was highly constrained and there were certain collectors, some who are no longer active (Danten311 comes to mind - there was seemingly no price too high for him), competing for and snapping up the few really high grade Spideys out there at what now must look like ludicrous prices.

For real lunacy, you guys should have seen what HG PPSS #1s were fetching in the early days of CGC before the Census started to overflow with them - I remember talking to some collector out there who was hoarding 9.8s at nosebleed levels thinking there would never be more than a handful of them! doh!

There were prices paid around 2001-2002 (especially in the run-up to the first film release) for Spideys that will likely NEVER be exceeded. Heck, I should know - I paid over $2K for an ASM #122 9.6 back then (and have numerous other dubious purchases to my credit) back when there were only a handful of 9.6s and only 1 9.8 in the Census! I am quite certain that a fair number of issues in grade have *depreciated* since their 2002 highs. So, 44% does not strike me as being particularly low or high considering the wide range of performances among the various issues in the various grades.

Another beauty of the early days of CGC was collector's paying multiple of guide for 9.2s of second tier Marvel titles like Captain Marvel. lol

That is so funny... as a kid, the two #1's that every one I knew had in their collection (and usually in multiples) were PPSS and Howard the Duck!

I'm not surprised at the results. a 44% increase over 5 years seems pretty darn good to me consider the dollar is in the tank.

What kind of crack are you smoking? 44% over 5 years is total junk for any normal investment. If someone was talking about the merits of XYZ investment vehicle and then it came out that it only was doing 44% over 5 years they would be buried, it doesn't matter what the dollar has been doing.

Now, temper this all with the fact that we are talking about comic books. Heck, I'm just glad they're worth something more than what I paid.

What kind of crack are you smoking? 44% over 5 years is total junk for any normal investment. If someone was talking about the merits of XYZ investment vehicle and then it came out that it only was doing 44% over 5 years they would be buried, it doesn't matter what the dollar has been doing.

Now, temper this all with the fact that we are talking about comic books. Heck, I'm just glad they're worth something more than what I paid.

7.6% per year is similar to moderate grade corporate bonds. Treasury bonds only get you about 4% right now, yet a lot of people put their money in them. As Jim pointed out, it's much better than a CD. However, the liquidity and risk of comics is inferior to bonds. The stock market has done better, but the stock market has been more volatile.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend that anyone invest in comic books if their sole purpose was to buy them just to make money.

I wrote this article on the blog if you're interested. Should I Invest in Comic Books

Rhonda